Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 04:56PM

I've been trying to solidify my thoughts on "choice spirits" being lucky enough to born into mormon families, so I'll start with a disclaimer: Brainwashed TBM's wouldn't listen to any arguments anyway.

There, now that that's out of the way...according to LDS teachings, spirits are sent to Earth to "learn", sort of like a rich family sending a kid to work at a fast-food place or out to dig ditches so they can understand what real hard work and humility are; the spirits are literally brainwashed, so they have no recollection of where they came from, and must work hard to gain favor so they go to the highest level of Heaven. However, rich families don't erase their kids' memories to make them start over from scratch and do all kinds of rat-in-a-maze tricks to get back home--how cruel!

On the other hand, sometimes a rich family *will* send a kid who's a bit of an a-hole out into the nitty-gritty world to break him down a little & learn what real hard work is. Are spirit children little monsters who need to be taught a lesson? And in the pre-existence, those who are "less worthy" get sent to "less worthy" famlies--are they little a-holes? If they were less "less valiant" in the War in Heaven, doesn't that mean they were full grown spirits (or had bodies?), so they weren't actually children. How does the theology work that "dark skin" is a punishment for "fence-sitting" if you are a literal child of God? Am I getting my LDS theology confused???

Mormon theology is more like: You start out as a beautiful butterfly, *then* you become a caterpillar so you can transform...back into a butterfly. You start from point B, but go back to point A so you can struggle back to point B! I guess an apologist or bishop would say "No, you start at A, go to B, and earn your way to C. Except that both A and C are Heaven! And Heavenly Father is literally the same God in both A and C, so how does that work!?

I'm trying to be more concise in a tear down of TSCC's squishy theology to show how it doesn't make sense.

And for reference, here's the official party line:

***"In our premortal life, we were taught lessons that prepared us to assist Heavenly Father in bringing about the salvation of His children (see D&C 138:56). We also had the agency to follow and obey God. Some of Father’s children distinguished themselves through their “exceeding faith and good works” and were foreordained, or given assignments, to serve in specific ways on earth (Alma 13:3). The greatest of those who followed Heavenly Father back then was His firstborn spirit son, Jesus Christ—or Jehovah, as He was known there.

The Prophet Joseph Smith explained that while in our premortal state, we were all present when God the Father explained His plan for the salvation of His children. We learned that a Savior would be needed to overcome the problems brought on by the conditions of mortal life."***

You see, God effed up our pretty nice heavenly lives ON PURPOSE so that we needed "salvation."

And this, which doesn't make a helluva lotta sense:

***"Knowing that everyone on earth chose to follow the Savior in the premortal life changes our lives by helping us when we do missionary work. As Elder Richard G. Scott of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles has said: “Every child of God in mortality chose the Savior’s plan. Trust that given the opportunity, they will do so again."***

What a cheap shot: give everyone knowledge, then make them forget that knowledge and see if they'll be tempted to do the wrong thing BECAUSE GOD HAS TAKEN AWAY THEIR KNOWLEDGE!!

And naturally, it's not actually God who helps us on the re-learning path back to Him, it's a bunch of old white guys who *speak with the authority of God*. How tithingly convenient...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 05:17PM

Posted by: FallenCountryManouvers ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 09:01PM

There actually is something to that- special Valiance for Jesus, in previous lifetimes, is often rewarded, as for example, with birth into a better quality spiritual community- Special Valiance for other masters,such as Esram, avatar Mani, Queen Deqtyra, avatar Morgan La Fay, Zoroaster, Xerxes, etc.... special blessings are also received in apportionment, such as great physical beauty! Born Catholics have such blessing from Jesus- and, although I am opposed to the Mormon Church, basically, must admit there's some truth here, also (quality upbringing, there...). The mormon doctrinalists have blown this issue up in an extraordinary elitist/bigotry claim, generally. We're sent here to Progress, generally- less fortunate incarnation types (e.g. according to ethnicity) are those who have been very stubborn and resistant to the natural flow of Progression. Next phase for many is Angel....Born american usually means less such Valiance than birth in certain other countries, also.

Posted by: poopstone ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 09:46PM

Harold b lee said to the effect, why are some born in heathen nations and others in enlightened western nations, and some of the black skin?... The life to be most desired is the one that has the capacity for the most potential growth. (Secrets to Successful Living).

But according to this logic what life has the potential for the most growth? How can he imply that Africans have less opportunity for development. It seems to me that the ability to develop character would be the same for anyone in any nation or religion. And to be born into a dysfunctional-mixed-race-family (the ones the bretheren dislike) would provide more obstacles to overcome, therefore that should be desired.

But of course this wasn't the logic Lee had when he wrote that.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 10:27PM

> I've been trying to solidify my thoughts on "choice spirits" being lucky enough to born into mormon families...
>

Good thoughts of Mormon earth spirits stories but I wanted to follow the beginning of your post you didn't seen to elaborate on as much: "lucky enough to be born into Mormon families".

Unlucky is more like it. If coming to earth is lucky. Having to deal with this mormonite bs is anything but luck. It's more likes a curse! A hex. A punishment.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 01:05AM

Well, I mean TBM's and GA's would say "lucky to be born into mormon families."

So you are indeed correct -- "lucky" is all in how you look at it.

(( Shudder ))........

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: February 27, 2017 10:57PM

I love me some sausage mcmuffins I know that maybe thats why I came.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 03:04AM

Funny thing. Stupid Ass MORmONS are looking foreward to more MORmON drudgery when they get to MORmON Heaven (Hell). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsakhmRzow8

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: February 28, 2017 04:01AM

Welcome to Earth, may I take your order?

Just think, if I'm a good employee I'll get a special bonus. I'll get to live with Ronald McDonald in his McMansion.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.