Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Katrina ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:39AM

I'm thinking specifically schizophrenia.

I sometimes think all the rules are good for someone who suffers from mental illness and doesn't understand certain types of boundaries, but not that Mormonism teaches good--just that the heavily rule-based org keeps them safe by encouraging them to do things like reading scriptures, avoiding or staying away from drugs and alcohol etc.

I have a relative with schizophrenia and I think on one hand, it's good for him because he is convinced that his job in life is to do good for everyone (he bends over backward to help thers constantly)--and when he does this, people are nice to him. He believes this is his duty, to be super helpful to everyone, even though sometimes (well, often) he does so at the expense of his own needs.

BUT the reward he gets in people thanking him for being so helpful feeds his very low self esteem.

BTW, he doesn't take meds. If he did, then I think his life might be better as an exmo--but with all the fears, worries and delusions her harbors, it seems like Mormonism gives him some purpose (shudder; I can't stand Mormonism myself, but think it maybe keeps him afloat)

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: September 19, 2010 09:40AM

I'm thinking specifically schizophrenia.

I sometimes think all the rules are good for someone who suffers from mental illness and doesn't understand certain types of boundaries, but not that Mormonism teaches good boundary-setting--It's just that the heavily rule-based org keeps them safe by encouraging them to do things like reading scriptures, avoiding hitting the bars, avoiding or staying away from drugs and alcohol, etc.

I have a relative with schizophrenia and I think on one hand, it's good for him because he is convinced that his job in life is to do good for everyone (he bends over backward to help thers constantly)--and when he does this, people are nice to him. He believes this is his duty, to be super helpful to everyone, even though sometimes (well, often) he does so at the expense of his own needs.

BUT the reward he gets in people thanking him for being so helpful feeds his very low self esteem.

BTW, he doesn't take meds. If he did, then I think his life might be better as an exmo--but with all the fears, worries and delusions her harbors, it seems like Mormonism gives him some purpose (shudder; I can't stand Mormonism myself, but think it maybe keeps him afloat)

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 09:52AM

As if Mormonism didn't add to the pile of anxieties.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 10:04AM

There is a term called over-religiousity. It is very easy for the mentally ill to take religion to the extreme and become obsessed with end-times prophesies, angelic/demonic visitations, obsessive-compulsive rule-following, etc.

A schizophrenic without their meds????!! Holy crap. It's only a matter of time before he'll be hallucinating - hearing the voice of God and seeing angels.

(Whoops! Did I just describe Joseph Smith? heh).

Truly, truly . . . I have both personal and professional experience with this topic. Mental illness and Mormonism is an explosive combination. Seriously.

;o)

Date: September 19, 2010 12:53PM

In his case, he seems to be stablized by Mormonism, although it really isn't Mormonism per se that is propping him up. He doesn't go to church every Sunday but does only occasionally.

He does find purpose in the basic "Gospel" belief in doing good to others, and he goes out of his way to do good deeds, so that people will love and accept him. I am glad that he's found some purpose, but feel bad that he has to do so much hard work just to be accepted by others.

On the other hand, there is the problem of ongoing paranoia and overjudgmentalism. I can't have much conversation with him about Mormonism because he knows I don't believe in it and gets very defensive to the point of anger and abusiveness if you try to chat with him about it, so I avoid that. The paranoia is sometimes fueled by the fact that in Mormonism, it feels like "everyone is watching you" to see that you are a good example (e.g. God, other TBMs, visiting, home teachers, etc.) I can't imagine that part of Mormonism being good for him.

He isn't hearing religious voices at this point, but he has occasionaly said that people on TV were speaking directly to him. He's also very caught up in conspiracy theories on the Net, but only those supporting Mormonism as the solution E.g. New World Order is out to get everyone, but Mormon priesthood will stave it off, etc.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 12:50PM

Human beings find the level they are comfortable with in religion, and with certain kinds of mental illness that can go to extremes.
The DSMIV has a category for that.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: September 19, 2010 12:50PM

We always ran into schizophrenics who were happy to take the lessons. Every branch I served in in Italy had one or two really bad ones. I went back and lived there for four years in the late 90's, and we had two severe cases in the ward I was in. They LOVED Mormonism! and had such a good time performing the rituals. Sadly, both of them are now institutionalized. Their respective cases got worse and worse until they could no longer live any kind of normal lives. One of them, quite literally, was seeing god or something and had visitations. When I was a missionary we got into trouble for teaching one young mentally ill guy because he began to retreat to the local woods and have visions of "Heavenly Father" and Jebus. His mother came down on us hard. Live and learn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.