Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 06:29PM

I received the following response today from an faithfully foaming, intensely irate supporter of the president, posting on an editorial cartoon website.

--From the Complainer self-identified as "Max":

"From here on, I have deleted Steve Benson . His depiction of the USA President is super offensive . I hope Steve B. rots in hell."

--My reply:

"I’m a godless non-believer. In fact, I called 'Atheist Dial-a-Prayer' and nobody answered.

"You can take your hellfire-and-brimstone superstitious beliefs back to the Dark Ages where they came from.

"Peace and love to your non-existent god up above. :)"

--From another poster weighing in, telling "Max":

"Buh-bye."

--My reply:

"Bye, indeed.

"Another godforsaken editorial cartoonist banished to Mad Max’s fantasyland of foolish faith.

"Boo-hoo and BOO! to you.

"I’m still here. :)"

--From another participant in that forum:

"Yay! No more comments from MAX on Steve’s page, don’t let the door hit you MAX."
_____

When all else fails, play the hell hand.

Whatever.

Kicking their golden (or orange) calf in the proverbial drives 'em nuts.

As far as cartoonists are concerned, life would truly be hell if we didn't have such great material. :)

And since some RfMposters have apparently since gone to that website and are commenting in this thread about the doodle that sparked the damnation ...

http://www.gocomics.com/stevebenson/2017/04/27

Edited 10 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2017 11:47PM by steve benson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 08:38PM

Yep. When all else fails, often they threaten with Sky Daddy's wrath and punishment in hell. My Sky Daddy will make you sorry you made me mad! I'm telling Daddy! They have the mentality of 6 year olds.

LOVE the hair.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 08:55PM

Re the hair: I saw a TV spot today covering the array of impressionists. They all, predictably, go way OTT with the hair and the facial expressions. They get the voice pretty well too. (I hadn't really taken note of the voice before and when I first saw Baldwin's impression I thought he was way overdoing the voice part but then I paid closer attention and realized they're playing up the whispery monotone part of it so yeah, they sound quite close at times to the real thing).

Then at the end of the item they had a quick clip of the real DT but I thought it was still an impressionist. He was the most realistic one I thought, until I realized it *was* actually DT. I sure made myself laugh that it took me a second to recognize the real guy. Put him in a parade of impressionists and no matter how OTT they appear to be, he kind of disappears into the mix with them.

(This is not meant to be a political comment, as if I'm taking an "anti" position. I'm just saying what happened that made me laugh - at myself more than anything. However, I reserve the right to make such comment if the need arises, such as calling my country derogatory names - who would *do* that? I wonder...).

Date: April 28, 2017 12:13AM

It means that the satire, in some form or fashion, is reflecting real life for them.

Connection! :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 12:14AM by steve benson.

Date: April 28, 2017 11:58AM

Scary when the real thing, seen or heard via TV or radio, comes to seem like satire. When you wonder if you heard it right. Your head shakes. No, couldn't be. Rewind. Yup. Somebody really said that.

So, if reality and satire are mixing in my brain, I'm more rooted in reality? :)

Scary!

What is magical to me is when a swirl of a pen can evoke a swarm of brain impulses, conjuring up the entity drawn and a whole buncha reaction inside one's head about the subject matter. Shazam!

Clever though. And fun (at times).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2017 12:00PM by Nightingale.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 10:58PM

They're kind of cute when they wave their tiny fists.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:12PM

"As far as cartoonists are concerned, life would truly be hell if we didn't have such great material. :)"

Nick Anderson agrees:

http://editorialcartoonists.com/cartoons/AnderN/2017/AnderN20170426_low.jpg

Date: April 27, 2017 11:41PM

Posted by: memikeyounot ( )
Date: April 27, 2017 11:48PM

I saw this yesterday, and I'm sure it's been around a while but I laughed outloud. When I was a kid, my mom had one of these accordions and sort of played it but we all thought it was so funny. It still is:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/heres-donald-trump-speaking-but-with-an-accordion-attached-to-his-hands_us_587cf088e4b0b3c7a7b21c93

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:05AM

Well now there's another DC politico with an Achille's heel .... literally.

I speak of none other than Jason Chaffetz who is suddenly stepping away from his duty to probe Gen Flynn's starring role in the unfolding Russiagate scandal, claiming his bum heel has inexplicably uh, kicked up.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:41AM

I remember Michael Flynn. He was my first boss. I think I may have accidentally gotten him fired, but it was a long time ago. I managed to completely hose a major training operation. He seemed like a nice guy at the time.

Posted by: ren ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:54AM

Recently I was house/pet-sitting for a friend, and I noticed that one of your cartoons of the president is on their refrigerator! High praise, since if I recall correctly they only have two or three newspaper clippings up there :)

Posted by: rt ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 04:00AM

Steve, am I right in assuming that your job became so much easier when the Donald was elected? I mean, the cartoons practically draw themselves...

Date: April 28, 2017 12:03PM

Yeah, the commentator in the TV spot I saw asked what the impersonators would do without DJT. So, between all of them and the world's cartoonists as well, that's one way he is actually creating jobs. Haha (literally).

Date: April 28, 2017 12:27PM

Date: April 28, 2017 06:34PM

I'm definitely ready for a change of subject.

Sick.

Of.

It.

Date: April 29, 2017 12:29AM

Except maybe the Mormon ones.

Aren't you proud how I tied that into religion? :-)

Date: April 29, 2017 02:07AM

Haha. Yeah. Good job.

As I've always said, abso-freakin'-lutely every single thing on the face of the earth, and in the heavens, can be tied into Mormonism. It is: Metaphor. Simile. Spoof. Satire. Reality. Politics. History.'Toon. Even a little bit of religion. Every. Thing.

Crazy, eh?

I couldn't even watch the history of 'Hallelujah' tonight without seeing the MoTab as the featured choir, complete with Tabernacle. No warning. Just there they were. Mormonism doesn't mix with the "spirituality" of the Christian world I know, even though they sing Handel. (No offence. Just my reality).

Mormon tentacles circling, circling...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/29/2017 02:10AM by Nightingale.

Posted by: Shummy ( )
Date: April 28, 2017 12:29PM

Orange is the new crack.

Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: April 29, 2017 01:18AM

Wow! That's freaking awesome Steve! Great job AGAIN!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.