Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 05:46PM

OK- what new idea did they learn in church today?
Doorbell just rang. A middle aged woman was on my doorstep. Said she was talking to a neighbor, who I don't know, and said she told her that we had a daughter about 12 or 13 years old. (my kid is 16), and that she (the lady) was a volunteer and wanted to invite my daughter to an event. I asked "You're a volunteer for what?" She replied "I'm a volunteer for the church of jesus christ and the latter day saints" and "do I have the right house". I replied that were not interested. She asked again "do you have a daughter (kinda creepy thing to ask). I replied that I had a daughter, "she's 16 and goes to Catholic school. So we're not interested". She replied that it's "OK that she doesn't belong to the church". I said "you're right-we spend a lot of money to send her to a school that's not full of mormons". I told her, again, that we're not interested, take her off your list and don't bother us again. She had a look on her face like "I can't believe this". What the hell?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 05:55PM

You were more polite to her than she deserved. I would have totally gone off on her.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 06:05PM

I hope I would have thought to tell her that asking about young girls she doesn't know is creepy while taking a photo with my cell phone. Then tell her to stay away from my family or I'll give her photo to the cops.

Posted by: Stillanon ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 08:05PM

My neighbor, 3 doors down is the bishop. I think I'll have a chat with him and put and end to this. We've lived here for 12 years, had more than our share of missionary crap (I ended that), but no one ever invited my kid to any ward functions.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 10:52AM

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 06:19PM

"I can't believe this." She was lying to you over and over again and then acted like you were the problem.

Posted by: Hockey Rat ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 06:29PM

Don't they send them out in pairs? Why didn't the " neighbour " invite you herself? Did she show any identification to proof she was in fact LDS? Seems odd, or desperate.
Was their a reason they picked your daughter?
Different if your daughter knew or was friends with one of the LDS kids, but then again, they'd know her age and probably invite her theirself .

Posted by: perv alert ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 07:15PM

Sorry, not to he a fearmonger, but it's too off-script to be standard LDS, isn't it? I'd report it, and ask if there's been any similar reports. Pervs sometimes use partners.

And, I'd tell my daughter to be on the lookout.

Sorry again, but you also told this creepy stranger where to find your daughter. How many Catholic HSs in your area?

Date: April 30, 2017 08:01PM

I know. She was a neighborhood Mom. Nice looking lady, about 40, blonde, blue eyed. She had some sort of ward calendar that she wanted to leave with me, but I declined. I thought of a million things to say-after she left -"Isn't my daughter too old for your prophet? I thought he liked 14 year olds" Etc. Caught me off guard.

My kid is pretty savvy for 16. She won't give out any info and she also understands that mormons are a cult. She probably would have been a lot more harsh than I was.

Date: May 01, 2017 10:55AM

They consider any invite to be a courtesy as if anyone would be delighted to have a chance to go to a mormon function.

This isn't a routine tactic? Perhaps not, but it is typical of a overly zealous mormon bishop and minion eager to please the cult.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 07:27PM

That is very creepy, and an invasion of your privacy.

What if you hadn't been home, and your daughter had answered the door, caught off guard?

Maybe report it to the police anyway, even though they probably won't do anything. You can still file a police report. Also call whoever is stake or local LDS leaders and put them on notice, threatening them with legal action if they don't cease and desist.

Date: April 30, 2017 08:24PM

My daughter knows not to answer the door when she's home alone. She's also a kick ass kid- probably will go to college on a basketball or volleyball scholarship. Knows self defense and takes kick boxing classes. I'm a former tough guy, but I wouldn't mess with her. In retrospect, the woman that rang our bell is better off that she dealt with me, not my kid. I'm walking over to the bishop's house in 5 minutes.

Date: April 30, 2017 09:32PM

It's a very sensitive subject for me, because the fricking Mormon women leaders did try that with my daughter, when she was your daughter's age.

They deliberately drove a wedge between us, that is still there today.

They were dishonest, deceptive, and scheming. Once I realized what they were doing is when I resigned my membership, and my daughter's while she was still a minor.

Date: April 30, 2017 09:44PM

Talked to the bishop. He told me who sent that woman. It's a neighbor down the street. Don't really know them , other than to say hi while we are walking our dogs.
Can I call the police on them for sending that woman to talk to my minor kid? Or should I just knock on their door and tell them to knock it off. The bishop tried to explain that they're inviting neighborhood kids to church activities. I told him to take my kid off the list. He has a 12 year old, 2 nine year old twins and a 2 year old. I asked him how receptive he'd be to a stranger knocking on his door to invite his kids to a function? "I get your point". Still, I feel like I should confront the neighbor that sent the woman to our home.

Date: April 30, 2017 09:54PM

Maybe write her a letter of cease and desist. You can be polite without threatening. However, I would include if she does not cease and desist you are considering taking legal action.

That should be enough warning for her to hear you loud and clear, and to back off.

It sounds like the bishop got the message. If he is on his toes, he would do well to tell her for you. He is over her in terms of authority as church leadership goes.

It was our bishop's wife where we lived who was in collusion with the YW president when they meddled with my family.

I wouldn't take what he says at face value. Still he got your message. You did good, Papa Bear!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2017 10:02PM by Amyjo.

Date: May 01, 2017 10:58AM

Did the bishop say he'd put a stop to such intrusions or did he just laugh it off?

Going to the neighbor's house certainly wouldn't hurt in case the bish "forgets" to let them know.

Date: May 01, 2017 11:54AM

I'm going to do just that. Just to let that neighbor know not to send strangers, or anything that has to do with the church, to my home. The thing is, they have two kids about 11 and 13. You'd think they'd know better.

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 12:00PM

Nope, Mormons have no boundaries. Anything the church does must be fine because the profit said so. This woman probably sent her 11 and 12 yo girls in alone to be interviewed about sexual habits and thoughts by a middle aged man.

Unfortunately this woman didn't stop and think that non-Mormons might not know about how perfect the church is.

Date: May 01, 2017 03:19PM

I don't get what their thought process might be. In 12 years we went from politely declining church invitations and missionary visits, to finally getting pissed and telling them, aggressively, that we have zero interest in their stupid cult. Last year, a missionary rode his bike across my lawn and broke a sprinkler. I sent them an itemized bill, including my repair time, parts and mileage to Home Depot. They sent me a check for $174.00. Haven't seen a mishie since. The whole street knows about that. Why would they think I'd even entertain having my daughter attend a church function?

Date: May 02, 2017 07:07AM

They don't think. They just go after converts and brag to each other when they pursue anyone they have no chance of converting. It's all about them and their need to show they're trying to build their cult. They care nothing for those they stalk.

Posted by: perv alert ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 11:00AM

:) I'm relieved that you were able to confirm that it was an LDS creep, and not a perv creep.

Take comfort that she probably doesn't want to be doing the job any more than you want her to do it.

Date: May 01, 2017 11:41AM

Posted by: scmd ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 03:04AM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's a very sensitive subject for me, because the
> fricking Mormon women leaders did try that with my
> daughter, when she was your daughter's age.
>
> They deliberately drove a wedge between us, that
> is still there today.
>
> They were dishonest, deceptive, and scheming. Once
> I realized what they were doing is when I resigned
> my membership, and my daughter's while she was
> still a minor.

That's awful, Amyjo, and I worry about it happening to my kids, too. My family has handled my departure as well as any TBMs could, but I'm afraid of what may happen once my kids hit twelve or so. Even if my relatives don't sic the locals on my kids, some random local Mormon may know my history and may have the local LDS youth attempt to fellowship them. I would prefer to teach my children to have respect for everyone's beliefs, but it's my babies I'm talking about, who are everything to me and, if possible, even more than that to my wife. I will combat it by teaching them everything I think is wrong with or funny about the LDS church starting with age-appropriate concepts at about the age of five. (As much as I'd like to start with Joseph Smith's womanizing, I don't suppose it would be appropriate.) I'll tell my kids to keep it to themselves and not to hurt the relatives' feelings, but I know how well children keep things to themselves, as in THEY DON'T. If my children offend someone who's trying to proselytize to them, though, I really don't care who is offended.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 07:38PM

Knowing how clueless Mormons are about appropriate behavior, I might have told her flat out that a question like hers is inappropriate because it crosses a very important boundary of civility, propriety, and child safety. Then ask her if she knew what that meant. If she played dumb or went on cluelessly trying to extract information from you then I might have been a little more blunt and said something like, "Asking a total stranger for specific information about their underage children is outrageous and frightening to any responsible parent. You are either a very ignorant woman or you are trolling for children to be used in human trafficing. I will be reporting your actions to the police immediately. You may stay on my stoop until the police arrive to question you or you can leave immediately."

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 30, 2017 08:23PM

Sadly, human trafficking is more prevalent than many suspect.

Our neighbor and two of his family members were imprisoned for human trafficking.

--Criminals whom you wouldn't suspect live in our neighborhood--and within a block of a middle school.

Date: May 01, 2017 10:51AM

How dare a stranger come to your door and ask about your minor child! That's outrageous!

Posted by: Birddog ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:34PM

Of course every situation is different, BUT the baptists up the street from us do this. Usually twice a year they knock on all the doors in the neighborhood and invite any children that might live there to a fall Halloween festival and again to vacation bible school. I don't take offense at it - they are trying to be nice. I just say no thanks and they go away until the next event comes around.

Posted by: Stillanon ( )
Date: May 01, 2017 03:42PM

If that were her intent, she should have stated that. Instead, she was asking questions about my daughter, her age, her name, etc. Plus, she said she was a "volunteer" inviting kids to a neighborhood function. It was only when I pressed her did she tell me she was from the church. It was deceptive and creepy.

Date: May 02, 2017 04:10AM

Baptist: "We're here to invite all children in the neighborhood to a Halloween party."

Mormon: "I've been informed that you have a young daughter. I want more information on her so I can possibly lure her to my church."

Both of the above approaches are inappropriate, but the mormon is far worse.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 02, 2017 02:29AM

Yes, "weird" is the word.

Three men came to my door after 9:30 at night. I was living alone, and would turn off the porch light at that time, but these men knocked anyway, and kept banging, until I had to yell through the door, "I'm not going to open this door. I don't know you."
They said they were from "The Stake" and wanted to invite my son to play basketball with them.

The Mormons tried for a few years to track my sons down, after they moved away from home. Mormon neighbors kept asking me, over and over. I would answer with, "I don't give out my children's private information, without their permission.

Years later, I'm a grandmother, and some primary lady I didn't know came to our door, when my granddaughter was visiting, and wanted to invite her to some "activity" at the ice cream parlor. I said I wasn't a Mormon, but she insisted that I give the flyer to my daughter. I said, "Oh, are the mothers invited too? She said no. I said, "Why not?" She mumbled something about it being just for the primary. I said, "It seems very weird to not include any parents. My granddaughter will pass on this one, thanks."

Our ward would make a primary teacher take a child--alone--one-on-one--out for ice cream on their birthday. My kids would beg me to let them not go. They said it would be very awkward, without any other kids there. They wouldn't know what to talk about, and they wouldn't have a good time. I made excuses for my kids, but the teachers kept trying to reschedule, and wouldn't give up. I had to come right out and say, "I don't feel comfortable having my child ride in the car of someone we barely know."

Date: May 02, 2017 04:13AM

Parents need to make children's needs and safety their highest priority. I wish they all had your good sense and courage.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.