Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Rolled tacos on a sunday ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 09:44PM

Got a text from one of the bishopric Wednesday asking if I was home, then the next day someone texts me and asks if I can give a sacrament talk next weekend. Holiday weekend maybe even tbm's might go enjoy themselves if there scraping the bottom of the barrel Trying to get someone that hasn't been in 6 months to give a talk.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 09:50PM

Return and report on how your talk went.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 21, 2017 10:45PM

Sounds like two good numbers to block.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 12:39AM

You should go and give a talk about what a fraud the church is. First, they'll turn off your microphone. So be prepared to speak up at that point. After that, it would be interesting to see if they drag you off the stage, or tolerate your talk. As they drag you off the stage, make sure to say out loud "I resign". After you resign, they can't excommunicate you.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 02:54AM

Yes, I have seen a speaker dragged off the stage 4 times in my life, in different wards, plus one who gave a moving talk about Jesus Christ, and instead of saying "amen", slowly gathered up his notes, looked around the congregation, marched down the stairs, down the aisle, and out the back side door, slamming it behind him.

Yes, they do turn off the microphone, and talk to the person saying the "wrong" things, and finally they do literally pick him up and get him out of the building.

Every time I saw that, I wondered why the bullies acted so frightened, and why it was so urgent to get the speaker out of the building. It made me think that the Mormons were bullies, and maybe the mis-speaker had something to say that we needed to hear.

I wish someone would give a talk like that, and return to report. Go on! The worst you could do is look stupid--but the Mormons would look like Mafia thugs.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 05:18AM

I would say that you have other plans, even if the plans are watching TV and eating Doritos.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 09:06AM

The trick of not getting tossed out is starting off saying you appreciate the opportunity and that you had been asked to speak. Next, you say things everyone will agree with like you love your wife (husband if you are a woman), that you find it hard to speak but are doing the best you can. Your attack must not be something stated with anger but almost as if you don't intend any harm etc Done right you can get everything in....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/22/2017 09:06AM by rhgc.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 03:04PM

Of all the nerve, texting someone about giving a talk in church? What is wrong with those people?
Best response, is no response.
Or two words: I resign.

Or take the opportunity to talk about the struggle to have a testimony when certain things are of concern, like...... (fill in the blank with a list from the CES letter). Do it in a really sincere, prayerful manner! End with : I'm still working on it. Then sit down or walk off and leave.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.