Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 11:36AM

As the self-righteous sit in their pews on Sunday in their holier-than-thou smugness,
who will be left on Judgment Day after God smotes the earth with his decree?

Jesus said those who sow "good seeds" are the wheat. Those who sow evil are the tares.

You can look around at any Sacrament meeting without sitting in Judgment and know quite a few there who aren't holy, righteous, or sanctified.

What does it really mean to be a Mormon and the parable of the wheat & tares? If God looks on the heart, there are going to be a whole lotta Mormons who will not pass that kind of inspection.

Mormonism doesn't save anyone. It's a filter as it blocks true communion with the Creator.

Worshiping an institution founded on lies and hegemony by its puppet masters is not a path to enlightenment.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 12:06PM

Matthew 13 is a chapter rich with rich agricultural imagery. It starts with the parable of the sower, then the wheat and the tares, then the imagery of the mustard seed and the leaven, and several others.

My ESV study note says, "(the tares) are probably damel, a weedy rye grass with poisonous black seeds which resembles wheat in its early growth but is easily distinguished from it at maturity. Any attempt to gather the weeds would only endanger the wheat, because the roots of the weeds would be interwined with those of the wheat. 'Let both grow together'(v. 30). God allows both believers and unbelievers to live in the world until the day of judgment;.."

Interesting that the presence of the unbelievers, as represented by damel, is not just wrong, but toxic! If you continue the reading to verses 36-43, Christ adds vivid imagery of judgement and Hell.

Date: May 22, 2017 12:45PM

Personally I don't believe in a Judgment Day as taught in mainstream Christianity.

Based on my understanding the Judgment occurs individually as each of us passes away and crosses over to the other side.

There is no need for a "Rapture" or event where a Celestial being returns to Earth to redeem the world and cast away the fallen.

The souls of the dead will be judged one by one IMHO.

The supposed Second Coming has been prophecied since Christ was on the Earth as happening in each generation's and then dispensation's life cycle. It hasn't happened yet, nor do I expect it to.

God's still in control of his Creation. He just isn't personally involved to such a degree to stop the advancement of humankind or wars and destruction of earthlings. I see him as a delegator, but not a control freak or a zealot. If he were he would not have made so diverse a world!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 12:40PM

J Golden Kimball said that when giving eulogies, he'd talk as if the person was going to enter exaltation when he new damn well they'd never even make it half way there.

Date: May 22, 2017 12:50PM

Some prophet, seer and revelator that made him! Liar and hypocrite are more like it.

Picture him heaping coals upon his head with each fake eulogy he gave for all those poor Mormons and their families that hadn't a clue how phony he really was.

Date: May 23, 2017 11:41AM

I asked a pastor how he handles funeral services when it was painfully obvious that the deceased was not a believer. His approach was to eulogize the deceased in as positive way as possible, trying to be honest and focus on what kind things he could say. Then he would segue into a salvation message, and not let the disconnect between the deceased and salvation be too blatant.

Those of us who take a conservative Biblical position differ from Catholics and many others in that a person's eternal disposition is determined in human life, and each person alone and individually (Romans 10.9-10). Thus--I know this sounds callous--there is no point in prayers or rites for the dead. All funeral rituals are for the living only.

Date: May 23, 2017 12:06PM

I believe there are going to be many saved who are not sitting in church pews on Sunday, or bible toting scripture spouting believers. There are going to be those who thought themselves saved who will be surprised to wake up on Judgment Day (their own,) to find themselves not where they thought they'd be, or in the "right" company in heaven.

Christ himself said, "Not everyone who calls me their Lord will get into the kingdom of heaven. Only the ones who obey my Father in heaven will get in."

The ones who obey their heavenly father aren't necessarily communing with him through Jesus. God looks upon the heart, not outward appearances.

Jesus Christ was himself a Jew who observed Jewish customs, not Christian customs. Jesus didn't condemn anyone. He lived by the Torah and rabbinical teachings. The ones that influenced him the most are none other than Psalms and Proverbs which are found in his Beatitudes and Sermon on the Mount.

He came for the sick. The well have no need of him. He came to lift up the poor, humble, and meek people of the world. Christ identified with them above the self-righteous, smug, pious hypocrites who sit in judgment upon others.

Posted by: paintinginthewin ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 05:53PM

Doesn't it?

It's an archaic concrete analogy referring to bad things in his wheat field or wheat crop... kinda of like a man talking to his ex or soon to be ex wife

Can't you hear old brother Brigham telling his wives at the table in the old Beehive house this sifting the wheat from the tares
Threatening them, as to who had to exit town and manage a farm, or which shy farm wife would be forced to leave her or peach tree and live in a dorm room upstairs on a long hall of wife's rooms in town.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: May 22, 2017 06:26PM

Date: May 23, 2017 11:50AM

I never got an answer to this historical faith un-affirming anecdote. Has anybody ever heard this story? I have a vague association of hearing it from a teaching by the late Walter Martin, author of "Kingdom of the Cults." Much of his work on Mormonism was based on the Tanners' research and historical collections.

According to the story Brigham young threatened his wives by telling them he would leave them behind at the Mormon resurrection, saying (something like) "Rise, Zina! Rise, Lucy! Stay, Harriet! Rise, Mary! Stay, Marion!..."

And so on. Does this sound familiar to anybody--and do you know where you heard or read it?

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 12:27PM

I wanna know what about individual women attracted them to BY:

was it smile / personality, or was he interested in breasts/rear/legs,

or was it their sexual prowess?

Science Demands Answers!

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 23, 2017 12:42PM

"Jesus said those who sow "good seeds" are the wheat. Those who sow evil are the tares."

This is blatant "gardenism"! Suggesting one type of plant is superior to another is bigotry gone green!

Tares have a purpose too....dandelions leaves are served in salads, artichokes are a thistle....do they not have a right to live free and unfettered, without being labeled as evil just because they are different or a minority?

Help weed out gardenism and support the tares!

"Worshiping an institution founded on lies and hegemony by its puppet masters is not a path to enlightenment."

And worshipping an ideology founded on myth and superstition by its puppet masters isn't either.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.