Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 02:10PM

From Google:

Denial & Isolation. The first reaction to learning about the terminal illness, loss, or death of a cherished loved one is to deny the reality of the situation. ...
Anger. ...
Bargaining. ...
Depression. ...
Acceptance.

The 4 Stages of Grief & Loss | Psych Central

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 02:37PM

I don't know who makes up theise lists like they are some kind of plan set in stone.
Those stages may apply to some people, but that is not how I have experienced the death of a loved one, including my husband.
No denial, isolation, no anger, no bargaining, no depression.
Total acceptance as I understand that life on this earth has an end. I was very well prepared, especially with the help from Hospice when my husband died in Jan of 2013.

Sometimes this list is applied to leaving Mormonism. Again. Not my process at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2017 02:38PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 02:42PM

"On Death and Dying." There's lots and lots of interpretations and variations, poke around the internet.

I think there's a consensus that this is a useful model and should be employed with flexibility. Not everybody goes through every stage, or in that order, and many of the stages of grief overlap, even come back at a later time and snap at you.

Also worth mentioning is that this model has usefulness not only with the death of a loved one, but also the departure of one or the break-up of a strong, bonding relationship. People going through an unwanted divorce might find some wisdom here.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: June 19, 2017 06:55PM

and he is one of the most brilliant men I know. In the beginning, he would get it out so he could show me where I was. He said you take 10 steps forward and 8 steps back. It took me a while to get through the list. I had a lot of issues to work through, the biggest being the end of my gay/straight marriage and the REALITIES of the situation.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.