Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:16AM

I see there's a thread below, "What is the best reason 'Nahom' is b.s?" and here's my "contribution." I'm told "it's impossible to prove a negative," so rather than focus on what LDS apologists say "might have happened," here's what did happen. There's also linguistic, anthropological, and DNA evidence that is all dovetailing and proving Joseph Smith's seafaring sons of Lehi never existed. Whoops, there I go again (big smiley face). At least what is certain is no scientific evidence of their presence here has been discovered; that includes the "Wayne May/Rodney Meldrum" school advocating for a "Heartland Setting" and John L. Sorenson's MesoAmerican model. Incidentally, Sorenson was the original "Tapir John" advocate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw5o_O4Wbc4

There are still details to be ironed out before a full consensus emerges; it seems clear to me there was a second migration of people speaking Na-Dene languages who came to this hemisphere later, but the DNA shows they were related to earlier Native Americans as well. A third migration of Inuit people--who reached Greenland also seems indicated. They were confined to the northernmost Arctic regions...

The devil is in the details, and I'm no fan of the "Coastal Migration Hypothesis," probably because I have some strong prejudices against "ancient seafaring colonists" (see Smith, Joseph, Book of Mormon).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2017 09:19AM by SL Cabbie.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 20, 2017 09:28AM

Thanks, cabbie.
The morg apologists are using a "Lehi of the gaps" strategy.
Sort of a, "You can't prove it didn't happen, and there are still holes in the known history that we can sort of shoehorn the BoM stories into, so it's true."

But like the "god of the gaps" arguments, the gaps are getting fewer and smaller. The more we learn and document, the fewer places there are to hide "belief" in Lehi.

And I'm with ya on the "coastal migration." Possibly for the same reason...but also because it's still almost entirely speculation :)

Posted by: Top Cat ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 03:59PM

Posted by: rodolfo ( )
Date: June 21, 2017 05:07PM

Bookmarking. Your observation was very important in my research since context is everything. 30 years ago mormonism could hide much more easily in "gaps" where not nearly as much was known.

But today these gaps are long gone and filled with truths about civilizations and peoples that have covered this hemisphere for thousands of years despite the claim that the "choice lands were empty and reserved for the chosen people".

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.