Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hunter jones ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:31PM

LDS records on my own.

Received a response.

It says that this is an ecclesiastical matter that must be dealt with by the Stake President.

What did I do wrong aside from the obvious?

Thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:36PM

You did nothing wrong.
This is their standard attempt to keep you from leaving.

If/when the SP or bishop call, tell them you don't need to discuss anything, and that the moment the church received your resignation request, you were officially and legally out, and they should simply tell "headquarters" that.

Or don't reply to their calls/e-mails at all. You're still out.

Congrats, btw :)

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:58PM

Exactly. That is what they do.

They will try to meet with you for one or more of these reasons:

They don't know what they are supposed to do with your kids' membership (they pulled this on me).

They want to know if you were "unworthy" - it's a little late now, but sometimes they will try to excommunicate you. It looks better for them if they reject YOU for not being "worthy" and it validates their view that you are flawed, not them. Don't answer any questions. You are not a member of their church and their rules are not your rules.

Sometimes they want to express "love" and BS like that. They might offer to answer questions or say to contact them if you change your mind.

Sometimes they just want to confirm you are who you say you are.

If they persist, tell them to call. Don't let them visit. Don't get sucked into their questions. Just stress that you do NOT want further contact (and I added that I would pursue legal measures if contact persists).

For the most part, it's just the local schmuck bishop doing his lame paperwork and he doesn't want to be bothered any more than you.

Remember you resigned. It's not your problem what follow up rules they have.

Congratulations on your awakening!

Posted by: hunter jones ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:47PM

feels good to make the decision and move forward.

Posted by: janis ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 08:51PM

I would say their red tape is their problem, not yours. You are legal out if they like it or not.

Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 09:12PM

A couple of things to remember:

You don't have to "request" anything. Your membership (or lack of same) in the LDS church is 100% your choice. They have NO say in the matter.

No matter what they call it (or how they try to spin it) it's a resignation, not a name removal.

Congratulations. Enjoy your life.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:42AM

Boiler plate LDS response. You were legally out as soon as they received your request. They are giving you 30 days to change your mind, and you will possibly be contacted by your bishop and home teachers who might fill you with cautionary tales and stuff. You could have avoided this by specifically saying that you realize the "consequences," want no contact, and waive the 30-day window. But that doesn't matter, anyway, because you're out!

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 07:57AM

Right. One last attempt to make people fear the "dire consequence" of the decision on the afterlife.

As if you are completely unaware of the Mormon version of the Celestial Kingdom club! Oh, nos! You mean this means I won't go hang out with Mormons breeding eternally in the CK? Well, never mind then.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 08:15AM

I've always wished there were a "like" button on RfM.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.