Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anonforthisone ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 05:43PM

We left tscc 5 years ago. We have been shunned by our family, friends & acquaintances. Our social circle has gotten smaller every year. Its been traumatic. We're finally getting to the point where we are starting to feel more adjusted to our new (and Better) normal. But our situation is unique. I know that as we make new friends and get to know people questions about family will come up. Our families, that we no longer have contact with, even live near us. I'm just not sure how to say that we used to have family & friends but we've been shunned without sounding weird or like a victim. Any suggestions on what to say, how much to say. I want to be honest but not go into too much detail.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: NeverMoJohn ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 06:06PM

"Our families have been shunning us since we quit being Mormon. We view it as a badge of honor."

Simple, straightforward, and not claiming to be a victim.

But really, is it anyone's business. You could also just say that the situation is complicated and move on.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 18, 2017 11:57PM

The simple truth. Once you leave mormonism you are shunned just like Amish, scientology or Jehovah witness.

True friends will shrug and move on.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 19, 2017 01:58AM

I would tell casual acquaintances that you and your family are "not close." Friends can be told that your Mormon family is shunning you for leaving the church, much like the Amish, JWs, etc. I would think most people would have some familiarity with that, as there have been some shows on TV about people leaving the Amish faith. Whatever you choose, just state it matter of factly. You won't sound weird. You'll get some sympathy in return, and then you and your friend will move on and talk about other things.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.