Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: bradley ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 01:47AM

From https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-brigham-young/chapter-12?lang=eng

"In Kirtland, Missouri, Nauvoo, and Utah, President Young witnessed the devastation that visits the personal lives of those who succumb to apostasy. Many of the apostates had been among his closest associates. He recognized that often “trifling affairs” were the commencement of their separation from the truth, and he emphatically warned each member to guard carefully against any degree of wrongdoing."

I'm still waiting for my devastation. What am I doing wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: CrispingPin ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 08:58AM

It has been devastating for me. Not long after leaving the LDS church, I was devastated by an unexpected big raise--that was in addition to the 10% raise I had already given myself. I am devastated by getting out and enjoying nature on Sundays. You can't imagine how devastated I am over not being able to impose myself on families who pretend to be happy to see their home teachers.

The free time. The lack of needless guilt. No longer needing to twist things in my mind to make sense of doctrine and scripture. If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was happier, wealthier, and healthier than ever.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 09:56AM

I was watching an interview with an FLDS woman. The interview concerned the evictions going on in Short Creek. The woman was spitting mad that "apostates" were moving back into homes owned by the trust. She stated that she would rather have nevermos living alongside the FLDS than apostates.

Mormons often seem to be very offended when people leave their church. They take it as a personal rejection. They also take it as the former member is now choosing to affiliate with Satan instead. You really don't see this attitude in the moderate-to-liberal mainstream churches. They figure that you are moving on to a church that is a better fit for you, or you are just going in a different direction on your spiritual journey.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: July 23, 2017 05:14PM

Let's see...devastations in my life...

1. No guilt
2. Freedom to love all types of people
3. Cussing loudly is now good and carthartic
4. Craft beer (in moderation)
5. Iced mocha lattes on a hot day
6. No shirts when hot
7. Freedom to be my own self--priceless!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/2017 05:14PM by BYU Boner.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.