Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dead Cat ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:29AM

I had a flyer taped (yes taped) to my door.

It invites me to a neighborhood walk-about on Sunday evening to "get to know" my neighbors.

It list some houses by last name with an address.

No mention of what else is entailed. No mention of food or a program.

My instinct yell it is church related

Anyone have any insights?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:38AM

yep. We get stuff like that a lot in our SL County neighborhood.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:45AM

You should be cautious. This is a common tactic that is used to "walk" you to the missionaries.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 09:51AM

If you have nothing planned, I'd go along with it. If it turns
into a "meet the mishies" or "get rich with Nuskin" or anything
similar, I'd clearly voice my displeasure with their underhanded
tactics before walking away.

By the way, in Salt Lake City in the olden days the building code
required all the front porches to be set back the same, exact
distance from the road. This was to allow people sitting on
their porches in the evening to look to the right and left and
converse with their neighbors.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 11:55AM

Why try to get to know people you don't already know? You're probably not going to make any new friends this way--except for the "instant best friends" with an agenda.

In my Northern Utah ward, we don't have a ward directory or ward parties--we have a community directory with community parties. These community parties never have beer or caffeinated beverages. Why would I want to attend these? I have enough friends with agendas already. The Boner.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 11:57AM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:37PM

I am so tired of people with agendas, the tired badass

Posted by: Mannaz ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 08:45PM

Hey Boner, when were you at BYU? I was late 70's - early 80's.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:06PM

This happens in my neighborhood also. My family doesn't participate either out of apathy or disability. I look at the names and I don't know most of them. It is usually three homes and I haven't attended for years so I really don't know many in the ward any more.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 12:53PM

We had the "annual" "neighborhood party" notice recently. We had it on our front door on a rubber band. I always get the R.S. ones, too. They did this when I was still active mormon over 20 years ago, too, so not like I haven't got them figured out. They seem to think I don't.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2017 12:54PM by cl2.

Posted by: Anon370855V ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 01:11PM

I have heard of burglary schemes like this. Get you out of your house and keep you occupied while they break in and rip you off.

Be careful no matter what, OK?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 07:29PM

Put your own flier up on each door. Say that you are *delighted* with the idea of a neighborhood walkabout, and that you are adding your home to the list. Have a cooler at the ready filled with some beers, sodas (caffeinated and not,) sparking water, etc. plus some snacks.

Show the Mormons that two can play that game. ;)

Posted by: sunnynomo ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 04:29PM

Oh, this is great!! When we get the inevitable flyer on our door, I think I will do this!

Posted by: Anon :/ ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 08:21PM

They do that in my neighborhood. Three houses usually have cookies and drinks, and people just walk around and talk. The missionaries are never around. I've never seen any non-members or inactive members participate.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: August 17, 2017 08:28PM

Could you call someone on the list for details?

Posted by: kendricklamar ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 04:01AM

It's really just something mormons do as a setup to "invite" you to church.

Posted by: howdy ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 08:58AM

What busy-bodies!

I'm all for neighborly friendliness, but that happens naturally. If I'm out and about in my yard or neighborhood, I'll meet others doing the same. If I'm not, then I am choosing to be left alone.

I have neighbors who started pulling my trash bin back up my drive after the collectors emptied it. The next time I saw them out, I asked if it was them, and thanked them. Very shortly after that, I saw a beautiful watermelon and thought how they and their three little kids might enjoy it, so I took it to them.

And so it goes. We do nice little things for each other without being asked. It has spread. Some evenings, they and other neighbors light a fire pit in the street (dead end) pull their lawn chairs around it, have quiet drinks and chats while the kids spend the last of the day's energy.

It took time to exchange numbers, and when something seems strange, we text-check with each other, short and sweet.

They have never taped anything to my door. If your neighbors want to be "neighborly," they will, no tape involved.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 09:59AM

Right, that's how it should be done. I've also seen people throw neighborhood parties, or block parties, but it's been organized by individuals an not at a church's behest.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:57AM

I'm guessing that you don't live in Utah?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 09:27AM

It's a setup. It's a mormon function, planned at the wardhouse. We attended one, when we first moved into our heavily LDS neighborhood. My wife and I pulled our 18 month old in a wagon that also had a cooler with beer. I figured I'd meet some good neighborhood guys and enjoy a cold beer. Nope. No way in hell. They looked at us like we were devils. Screw them. It's not about meeting your neighbors, the organizers already know each other. It's a recruitment ploy by the ward. We made up our minds very quickly that we didn't want to get to know those neighbors.

Posted by: azsteve ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 02:35PM

Try showing up in your temple clothes. When they answer the door say "pay-lay-aile, I thought it might be fun to wear last year's halloween outfit". If they are nice to you after that, maybe you'll make a few new friends. If they're not nice to you, tell them that there was no dress code mentioned in the flyer. If they are particulately mean to you, make sure they see you dusting off your shoes on their porch step on your way out.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/2017 03:09PM by azsteve.

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:14PM

Besides being tactless, that would misfire. How many of them even know the pay lay ale thing anymore?

Posted by: alyssum ( )
Date: August 18, 2017 11:13PM

I dunno. I like meeting people, and I figure in some sort of emergency it would be handy to at least recognize my neighbors and have them recognize me. If the missionaries show up, and if they bring it up, explain how happy you are that you left the church, and how many miracles you have had in the process. They will probably leave you alone. Maybe they'll even think about what you said when they get home, who knows.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 04:35PM

Fly a drone over first. Then have it return and report to you. 2 can play at being creepy. Maybe it is a DJI one, and you can get your reconnaissance live.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: August 19, 2017 05:43PM

Great idea. So when you are out on the walk, they rob your property.

Posted by: Breeze ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 02:57AM

Here, it's called the "annual neighborhood party." We have to bring a dessert, a salad, or a side dish--whichever we are assigned to bring, for 8-10 people. Plus, we are asked to bring our own meat. So, we decided to cook our own meat and side dishes at home, and enjoy eating with people we actually know.

The same neighbors give the "neighborhood party" every year, but no one is invited into their house. No one is invited into their back yard, either. The party is held in their driveway. I guess non-Mormons aren't good enough....

Ask yourself if you have ever actually been inside of any of the Mormons' houses. No, a church meeting or church activity or MLM sales pitch does not count. Have you ever been personally invited?

When you brought them that watermelon, did they invite you in?

Posted by: wokie ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 06:41PM

Years ago when I was a newish church member I was invited to a saturday evening event for ward members. It turned out to be a recruiting event fora well known MLM!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: August 20, 2017 07:10PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.