Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: omergod ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 01:50AM

Many religious beliefs involve communion with prisoners. Notwithstanding a child molester or murderer or rapist, is it ok to communicate with them, or will they cause irreparable harm to the family

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 10:18AM

It's the idea of forgiveness.
That magic jesus had himself killed as a sacrifice to himself (after all, he is part of the three-in-one god-thing) so that you won't be responsible for the nasty things you do.

Some "prisoners" were stupid, made a mistake, won't do it again, and merit another chance. Some don't -- they're plain nasty human beings who would harm anyone for their own self-gratitude with no remorse.

It can be hard to tell which is which. But certainly a one-size-fits-all "you're forgiven, 'cause jesus" approach is neither rational nor reasonable.

I'm all for reaching out to "prisoners," and giving them a second chance -- with heavy supervision and clear restrictions. If they prove themselves trustworthy, it's all good. Many never will, sadly...

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 10:24AM

Recidivism is a fun word to say! And fun rhymes with gun, so there's that...

As an amateur criminal,I've had some experience with forgiveness and I recommend it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 10:43AM

many religious beliefs ?
name them.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: September 29, 2017 01:07PM

You do this at a personal risk.

Date: September 30, 2017 04:17AM

It's something, and everything!

Date: September 30, 2017 04:20AM

Also, anyone that is a child molester can go directly to hell, and it's really sickening

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: September 30, 2017 09:29AM

There are teachers who conduct remedial reading classes within prisons, but I would never consider doing it. For me, it involves too big of a risk.

Consider Elizabeth Smart's father, who wanted to give a homeless man a job around his vulnerable female family members. Sometimes you have to use your head.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.