Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 02:22PM

Sorry I'm so full of Q's today, but this is one of those half-truths I *think* TSCC is guilty of...

The only thing apologists will say about BFD (baptism for the dead) is that the deceased has the "choice" to receive the "gospel" in the afterlife, buuuuut...and PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG:

...isn't the same person who's just been BFD'ed "confirmed" as a member of TSCC right away?

So isn't that a flat-out lie for a TBM to tell someone that Uncle Bob, who was a life long Methodist, has a chance to say "No thanks" to the celestial missionaries, all the while knowing full well that some 16 year-old has had hands laid upon his head to confirm Uncle Bob as a MEMBER of TCOTPOTCOJCOLDS??

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 02:57PM

Supposedly it's a "conditional" confirmation.
Only valid if the dead-person-in-spirit-world accepts the baptism/confirmation.

And yes, to be "logical," they should only do baptism/confirmation/temple work for dead people if contacted by dead people and told to go ahead and do them, 'cause they've accepted the "gospel" in the dead-person-in-spirit-world place.

But since dead people can't contact them...they go ahead anyway, mostly to make themselves feel better.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 03:47PM

The only possible "choice" would be to reject the rituals after being proclaimed a member of the mormon church. No mormon can give specifics about the process the spirits would have to go through to have those rites nullified. Perhaps they might do what living mormons do to resign. That would be write a letter to those in authority and wait for thirty days for a reply.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 05:01PM

Exactly. The way I understand it is that the dead person is automatically a member of TSCC when they are confirmed...you know, the word "comfirmed"...it means confirmed!

If God is so wise and all-knowing, why wouldn't he know that, oh, I don't know, a former Pope might say "No. No thanks, I'm good."

The mormon position, I suppose, is that NO ONE would possibly say no once the truth of things had been demonstrated to them.

The other obvious problem (once you give it 2 minutes thought) is that "This is heaven! Why do we need someone from Earth, a sort of probationary training place (where we were sent from the pre-existence to either be perfectly obedient or get our asses kicked) to put in a good word in the ultimate eternal residence, which is so far above the mortal earthly plane we can't barely comprehend it???

It's a bit like a third-grader having the power to influence whether a Harvard doctoral candidate gets his Ph.D or not...

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 09, 2017 05:21PM

The confirmation rite declares the person to now be a mormon, plain and simple.

The fact is that mormons assume the dead dunkings are valid because the spirits have a fuller knowledge of the "truth" than they could have had when they were alive. If the ritual doesn't "take," they might say it's because the dunked spirit was found unworthy, not that he went through whatever process was required to invalidate the ritual.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.