Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 03:24PM

...NO CROSSES on Mormon chapel buildings when they asked you, "Why don't you have crosses on your churches"???

I heard so many variations as a missionary...what was yours???

Or so it seems to me...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 03:44PM

I gave the one I was told to give...

That we (mormons) celebrate the risen christ, not the suffering christ on the cross.

Being an atheist now, I really don't care one way or the other...but I have to admit that before/after leaving mormonism, the adoration in other christian sects of depictions of a guy being tortured to death never really sat well with me...seemed pretty hideous. I don't *think* that's my mormon upbringing talking, though it might have been influenced by it :)

Posted by: allegro ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:05PM

I stated we believe in the risen Christ and concentrate on His life not death. Also, I said a cross would be considered a "graven image". It never occurred to me that other "graven images" were all the tie tacks, bracelets, necklaces, etc of Moroni and the temples.

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:11PM

If Jesus got killed with a knife would we see knives on top of every church spire?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:15PM

That's basically the one we used in Mexico, but we substituted out 'knife' and put in 'broken beer bottle' to make it relevant.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:38PM

Yep...I had a companion that liked to use the 357-magnum argument & would we hang bullets around our neck to remind us of Jesus's death like people wear crosses.

Go figure...

Or so it seems to me...

Posted by: badassadam ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 05:24PM

Broken beer bottle, nice.

Date: October 10, 2017 05:32PM

Hey, it was hilarious! "Que tal se murio Cristo de una botella de cerveza, quebrada, que se metio en su garganta?" and we pantomime holding a broken bottle and shoving it into their throats. They'd laugh and laugh and then we'd dunk'em. Baptisms were easy in 2nd/3rd world countries back in the 60s.

Just in case you missed it, the current orchestra directory at the Y played golf with my son and I in Orem in late August and when he found out that I'd done my mission in Mexico, he said that there was a popular saying among the German missionaries when he was there, "Every time a missionary knocks on a door in Germany, a family gets baptized in Mexico."

Posted by: Gern Blanston ( )
Date: October 10, 2017 04:27PM

I tried the "We believe in the risen Christ.." explanation a few times. I was slammed down by an Anglican who said that the cross represented the victory over death.

So, depends upon your point of view, I guess.

Date: October 10, 2017 05:19PM

Wow! Does it come with a beaded string attached?

But the argument can be made, as the Anglican said, that the cross is a symbol of death, and the resurrection conquered death.

I have heard of no reports of Joseph Smith resurrecting or returning in translated glory to chivvie the saints on, or boink one of his wives. But I suppose the latter would be too sacred to discuss. ...Like the third and fourth anointings.

Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: October 11, 2017 02:52PM

Even before Christ was crucified, the idea of the cross was significant.

"Then Jesus beholding him loved him, and said unto him, One thing thou lackest: go thy way, sell whatsoever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, take up the cross, and follow me." (Mark 10:21)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.