Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 11:36AM

Hey Everyone, I just wanted to give you all an update while I have internet access. I am doing good considering. I am hoping to get a work-study job on campus where I am going to school at. I was specifically asked for by a lady that I am working with as part of a job shadowing assignment that I am doing for one of my classes. It may be part time but it is a start and the lady that I am working with says that I pretty much have it as long as things on the financial aid side of it goes through.

Things have been crazy here. I found out right after Dad died that him and Mom still owed 27,000 on the trailer and unlike a regular house, there is no equity in it so I am going to have to move. Social Services in North Carolina suck for single people. I would pretty much need a kid or a job to get food stamps or housing help. But since I am in the running for a work-study job, things might change.

Other than that, I am doing good. We have cut off the internet at the house, so I am without access while I am at home, so the only time that I get access to the internet is when I am at school or go somewhere that has wifi access and I have my laptop with me so I will probably will not be getting any messages until Monday, and that is if I have time to even check them to begin with.

I hope that all is well with everyone else.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 11:43AM

It's amazing what perseverance can do. Keep moving forward!

Posted by: gatorman ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 12:02PM

Housing can be an issue. Dorms offer year round housing with all utilities and in most schools internet access. Being a resident advisor or manager reduces the cost. Also walking to class and library saves $$. Ponder...

Gatorman

Posted by: kativicky ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 12:13PM

I am at a community college and they don't offer housing but a lady I talked to in social services says if I got even a part time or work study type job they would help.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 01:07PM

Good to hear from you.

Maybe look into the possibility of becoming a live-in home care aide. That would cover your room and board.

It isn't ideal, but at least you'd have a roof over your head, food to eat with possibly a stipend.

I had two jobs like that on weekends, while I was in college two different summers. Someone else lived in the rest of the week. It was doable - had quiet time to do homework in between taking care of the elderly homebound.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 04:30PM

I meant to add I had a friend in college who did the live-in home care and her position was 24/7.

It worked out very well for her because she was able to live in the house with the aged woman who was rather sweet; but feeble.

My friend prepared her meals, did some light housekeeping. But was mostly there as a companion to the older woman.

Those jobs are typically in high demand so you may be able to have some say as to who you might work for.

Have you explored the possibilities of staying where you're at, and having the mobile home transferred into your name or otherwise taking over the payments?

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 03:49PM

Kat, it's great to hear from you!
I'm sorry to hear about the difficulties. I like the way you bravely go forward in spite of the losses and setbacks. I know you are a determined person and will pull out of hardships to enjoy much better times! Love ya, kat!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 06:53PM

Hi, Kativicky! I'm glad that you checked in.

Work-study jobs are usually the best ones on campus. They are often more interesting and pay better than other campus jobs. Plus, depending on the job, you could get a nice reference for your resume.

You might consider looking for a roommate situation. There will likely be notices up at the student union for people looking for roommates. Or you could check the newspaper classifieds under "Roommates Wanted" or on Craiglist.

Consider talking to Legal Aid about the trailer. They may be able to help you.

Keep in touch when you are able. I admire your perseverance!

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 08:17PM

Heartfelt best wishes Kativicky! This has been a very stressful year for you. You have been a very caring daughter and provided an outstanding level of support for your parents.

Please stay in touch when you can (((((HUGS))))))

Posted by: pugsly ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 09:48PM

I have been wondering how you are doing. Glad to hear that you are still going to school. Hopefully things will go your way. Take care!

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 11:59PM

Many of us here think about you every Sunday morning and wonder what you're doing instead of church!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.