Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 05:29PM

So, JS was supposed to do the will of God and publish his translation of the bible, but he got blown away first; so who messed up? God or JS?? I thought the work of God will not be stopped by evil men, yadda yadda yadda. But then again I guess mormons can have it whatever way works for them. :-)

It's stuff like this should up for even the most hardcore TBM. From lds.dot.org: "The Church records show that the Prophet wanted to publish the translation and was in the process of preparing the manuscript for that purpose at the time of his death but was hindered by persecution and lack of finances. As recorded in the Doctrine and Covenants, the Lord indicated that He wished to have it published."

D&C 124:89;

"If he will do my will let him from henceforth hearken to the counsel of my servant Joseph, and with his interest support the cause of the poor, and publish the new translation of my holy word unto the inhabitants of the earth."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 05:32PM

And why the heck did ghawd lose his voice after the death of JS, except for one anemic burp to BY?

Why aren't new Sections being added to the D&C? Why hasn't ghawd given his servants any meaningful guidance? Unless ghawd is the IRS...?

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 10:05AM

Because it's made up.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 12:41PM

Stay tuned.
Same bat time, same bat channel.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: October 13, 2017 10:10PM

Joseph didn’t screw up! His cash-poor church merely sold the manuscript to the Jehovah’s Witnesses. That’s why it’s call the New World Translation. The Apologist's Boner.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 08:58AM

Emma kept the bible manuscript.

The Reorganized church publishes it as "Holy Scriptures".

The LDS church uses it for foot notes in their bible. Lenghty sections are in the appendix.

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 10:55AM

I remember that Martin Harris coughed up a lot of money for JS. If the mormon god was so anxious to have the "translation" published, why didn't He just do it himself?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 01:14PM

and, why haven't any of Joey's successors taken up the gauntlet?

Posted by: YHWH ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 01:56PM

...because they know what happens to people who claim that gawd almighty is visiting in person with them, empowereing/entrusting them with the "true words" of gawd.

They become side-shows, often lose their lives if they also try to use that claim for power. Just look at their hero, not to mention the many other dead cult leaders.

No, these days, they've learned to worship The Almighty Feeling. It's so much safer. They can also enjoy the "just-a-human" get-out-of-jail-free card.

No need to die in order to rule over others; dying over nonsense would be silly.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 14, 2017 02:01PM

10-4, good buddy;

that was A TEST, and you PASSED!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.