Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 08:56PM

In the 1990s, it was still the norm for individuals and families to decorate church classrooms for the ward's Halloween party. I'm guessing that these potentially spirit grieving parties got moved outside around 2000. For those that were active around that time, was there a edict read from the pulpit that forced wards to adopt the trunk-or-treat in the parking lot?

I found this LDS "member opinion" from Oct 1996.
https://www.lds.org/ensign/1996/10/i-have-a-question?lang=eng

Even though it is credited to a sister in the church; I think it was penned by BKP. It reads exactly like a pissed off Packard's talk that is arrogant, condescending and patronizing. I think it's his style of writing with his expectations of Mormonism.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:06PM

Oh brother...give me a break. (eye-roll)

"Trunk-or-treat" is just another way Mormons try to hijack a holiday, and turn it into a recruiting opportunity.

I don't think or ward/stake (not clear which it is, one single ward in one solitary stake) had Trunk-or-treat this year.

That pathetic letter (Come on, do ya think it was written by a real person?) is a good example of how Mormonism sucks the fun out of each and every family occasion.

Happy Halloween! :)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:08PM

She's a real person! She and her hubby joined the church in 1964, when they were in their early 20s... She's a very intense mormon... Here's quote from her:

"although we would later find out that my husband had early Mormon ancestors from Denmark who came by ship and train to Salt Lake. I’m sure they reached through the veil and stirred up the events that brought us into the gospel net."

And quite unexpectedly, she's a Vegan-Mormon, or Mormon-Vegan; take your pick.

http://discoveringthewordofwisdom.com/wfpb-story-joyce-kinmont/

She is the founder of LDS Home Educators Assn.

She is not your typical mormon!!!

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 11:15PM

Oh God! I bet she's part of the Whole Foods, Plant Based, Word of Wisdom diet. Let's ignore coffee, green tea, and red wine (in moderation) are healthy and can help prevent things like Alzheimer's.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:10PM

but then she went back after trunk or treat started. I didn't read the article. I guess I will so I can vomit.

Oh hell. This is one of the things I've enjoyed the most about not being mormon. I just enjoy Christmas and not worry about it being "Christ centered." I just see it as a holiday, a celebration, a break from regular life. I never had an issue with Halloween as a mormon. Actually, they had some of the best spook alleys in our ward when I was growing up and I loved fishing ponds.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2017 09:13PM by cl2.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: October 31, 2017 09:17PM

When the members would have to clean up after themselves

Posted by: abby ( )
Date: November 01, 2017 11:11PM

It wasn't the norm in the 90's for me. Nothing was done in my ward. I'm in the Morridor and it seems it's quite random if wards do trunk or treat.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 02, 2017 04:44AM

When 'leaders' found it would save them ("God's"] money [liability].

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.