Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 03:14PM

http://www.sltrib.com/religion/local/2017/11/15/mormon-apostle-ballard-sounds-off-on-lgbt-rights-marriage-bullying-suicide-and-more-in-byu-speech/

"I am a general authority but that doesn’t make me an authority in general. I worry that members expect too much from their leaders and teachers, expecting them to be experts [in areas and topics] well beyond their expertise. If you have a question that requires an expert, please take the time to find an expert to help you.”

So he's admitting Jesus doesn't really reveal anything to his so-called "prophets, seers and revelators"?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2017 03:27PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 03:18PM

He seems to be an arrogant, self righteous, hypocrite.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: November 15, 2017 11:14PM

Maybe people will use his talk and get real help with medical, financial and personal problems that rely on untrained bishops.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 05:01AM

He doesn't know what hat he's wearing. Tin Foil

Posted by: Kentish ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 06:35AM

Theology is well beyond their expertise.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 08:13AM

"Follow the prophet he knows the way"......wait? No?

Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 09:39AM

If Ballard's not an "authority in general", then he is no authority on lipstick, and the wearing there of.

Posted by: Elder What's-his-face ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 10:52AM

In other words, stop bothering us with your stupid problems.

Posted by: edzachery ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 12:33PM

> If you have a question that requires an
> expert, please take the time to find an expert to
> help you.”
>
> Point taken. Thank you, Jeremy Runnells, for your research expertise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2017 12:36PM by edzachery.

Posted by: Dallin Ox ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 05:28PM

From ETB's 1980 "Fourteen Fundamentals in Following the Prophet" (regurgitated in October 2010 GC):

"Fifth: The prophet is not required to have any particular earthly training or diplomas to speak on any subject or act on any matter at any time.

"Sometimes there are those who feel their earthly knowledge on a certain subject is superior to the heavenly knowledge which God gives to his prophet on the same subject. They feel the prophet must have the same earthly credentials or training which they have had before they will accept anything the prophet has to say that might contradict their earthly schooling. How much earthly schooling did Joseph Smith have? Yet he gave revelations on all kinds of subjects. We haven’t yet had a prophet who earned a doctorate degree in any subject. We encourage earthly knowledge in many areas, but remember if there is ever a conflict between earthly knowledge and the words of the prophet, you stand with the prophet and you’ll be blessed and time will show you have done the right thing."

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: November 16, 2017 06:34PM

I think that this shows the cracks that I thought were there with the top 15, I mean top 14. To me he is basically saying he does not believe in prayer or inspiration or the promptings of the Holy Ghost to give answers in his calling.
A prophet predicts the future. A seer knows information not available to common folks and a revelator reveals truth. He seems to be failing on all three with this talk to BYU students. That is like President Hinkley when asked on nation wide TV if he was a prophet, he said "I am sustained as such." Or words to that effect. Not "Yes I am God's prophet to the world.
So what is Ballard getting paid to do then? How could a Mormon honestly support this guy after a statement like that?
But wait he has his calling and election made sure. He is already in the big room in the sky. He does not have to prove himself like we do.
Very disappointing on one level but very insightful on another. That is why I say that Bishops are just pimps for these big guys. I feel sorry for Bishops having to carry guys like this and they have no clue what the top guys really think of them.

Posted by: Atari ( )
Date: November 17, 2017 03:13AM

I give credit to Ballard for admitting he does not know everything. But he really needs to grow a pair and apologize for lying all these years. He truly is a douche.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.