Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jstone ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 06:15AM

I Need a Friend - this older Mormon pamphlet has nothing to do with friendship but is actually about the predatory recruitment of new members. In fact it undermines real friendship and redefines the word to mean a grubby conniving confidence trick. Ludicrously it even says for example that “You can friendship friends… and be ready to report your progress to your priesthood leader”.

This ghastly misuse of human friendship is throughout the leaflet which goes on to say “During the monthly personal priesthood interview, your priesthood leader helps you make friendshipping plans and he receives from you a report on the success of the past month’s plans”. Another page says to go after “those who have recently experienced sorrows or family problems”.

Mmm,now why would the only divine church on Earth run by the creator of the universe himself resemble a tacky pyramid selling scheme?

That pamphlet – I Need A Friend

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sD81GYIm5yxgEMPqrX8vFkohUjmU_k_2

Some text that should have been included – it is important NOT to give this pamphlet to those you have prayerfully targeted as it will tip them off!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 09:53AM

You gotta love the top of page 5, " How to develop friendship"....be sincere. Yep, you know what they say about sincerity, it's so important, once you learn to fake it....you got it made!!

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 10:23AM

You made me laugh. "Fake sincerity." Pretty much describes most Mormon relationships whether they are recruiting or one upping other family members. All too common.

Posted by: GoingHome ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 11:00AM

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 02:00PM

It called worming your way into other people's lives and acting like you "love" them.
While pursuing the cult's agenda of recruiting workers/tithe payers for their phony church.

Posted by: Very Afraid ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 11:25AM

OMG, jstone, you have it in writing!!!

No longer can we be gas-lighted into thinking we are paranoid, and that it is our fault we can't be real friends with Mormons.

I always felt there was an agenda, with my Mormon neighborhood ward friendships. They were constantly asking me to play the piano, to accompany them in sacrament meeting, to rehearse with them, to play for road shows, primary, RS, play the organ, teach organ lessons for free, accompany and/or lead the choirs and singing groups, play for parties and fashion shows and weddings and funerals. Suddenly, I got seriously ill, and had to quit all of my callings, as well as take a leave of absence from my job. There would be no income for several months, while I underwent painful and expensive hospital out-patient treatments, so I couldn't pay tithing. My job was great about it, but the Mormons turned on me. I was accused of malingering, because I could still drive a car, and go to the grocery store. At first, they kept calling and making demands, and I had the stress and strain of having to say "no" and having to explain. It didn't help in dealing with my illness. Finally, they stopped calling, and for all those months, no one brought me dinner (I had always taken dinners to them), or called just to see how I was doing. My children observed this behavior. This led to our questioning whether the church was really Christ-centered, as it claimed to be. I asked my children why they didn't like church, and they finally told me about their experiences of being abused by adult Mormon cult leaders. They had been threatened never to tell, and when they finally told me, we all cried, together. I told them they never had to go to church again. When we became inactive, we were harassed by various groups of two or three Mormon man, banging on our door at night. At first I let some in--Mormon neighbors we knew, and the bishopric--and they threatened me, and maligned me in front of my children. Once, we even stood up and asked them to leave our house!

This type of disrespect for others can ultimately lead to aggression and even abuse of others. Mormons have no respect. I always thought my Mormon "friends" never really knew me, or cared about me, as an individual.

Now, I don't have one Mormon friend, from our old ward. When we officially resigned, they shunned us. We left quitely, and no one ever asked us why.

Fake-friendshipping and shunning--these are very real. This Mormon behavior has nothing to do with you or me. It's what they do.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 11:42AM

She wrote a tactful plea to them saying she'd appreciate good wishes of comfort but she did not want to receive mormon quotes or scriptures. They told her she was "taking it wrong," and she needed to learn to be more open minded. She died two weeks later.

That's when they started hitting on her grieving husband. They went to his house almost every day to ask how he was doing reading the book of mormon.

Sadly, he died after that as well. So they started to harass me and the other exmo siblings. I blasted them, called them ghoulish cultists and said I never wanted to hear from them again. Thankfully,they backed off in my case, but I HATE how they treated my loved ones.

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 07:13PM

Cult-work.

Ukkk evil.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: November 27, 2017 07:21PM

I was visiting my friends in Seattle. I wanted to go to church. I didn't have a fake friendship with them as no matter what, I will always be their friends. This was like 25 years ago. So the husband went with me to fast and testimony meeting. Guess what all the testimonies were about? THIS. They talked about how they were fellowshipping neighbors, etc. What a meeting to take a nonmember to. It was HORRIBLE.

I get the friendshipping, too. With many mormons you can't trust their intentions.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.