Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ExtraGravy ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 08:52AM

It always irked me that the entirety of church focus was on the priesthood. Priesthood translated to me meant, men in heirarchal positions. They were the only ones with any real decision making power and the only ones that were respected. Women were praised and they had their assigned roles as relief society pres. etc. but everything would always have to be run past a man for approval. It annoyed me that the ward clerk had to be a priesthood holder... to do math, make schedules, accept tithes. it didn't matter if a woman was a professional accountant or Office manager.

terms used to describe women reminded me of how people described their pets. "Sweet", "gentle", "patient"... sounds like a horse.

And what did RS get to talk about.... stuff men said. They also got to talk about pioneer women who had faith in the priesthood. It always comes back to that.

In fact. the whole existance of the church is in support of that... The priesthood keys were restored to earth. Thats what is special about the church. Priesthood... Men.

Don't get me wrong... I don't have a problem with men. I have a problem with exclusion and a clear doublestandard when it comes to respecting the members. Women aren't accessories. They aren't auxillary.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: valkyriequeen ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:10AM

Yep, the "priesthood" rules. I still shake my head in disbelief when 12 year old boys are told that because they have the priesthood, they have more authority than their mothers or sisters, younger brothers, cousins, etc. The priesthood gives them the right to tell you exactly how you should dress and look. It was Russell Ballard addressing the women in a YSI group and said something like: "Don't wander around looking like a man; put on a little lipstick; it's just that easy".

Posted by: nether regions ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 09:25AM

Where else can a child with an undeveloped brain begin to learn how much more he is worth than half of the people on the planet?

Right at the start of puberty, when he wants to start seriously exploring his genitalia.

Money, then sex. Children who will tithe.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 10:07AM

My dad only saw his priesthood duties as a chore. It was just something else HE HAD TO DO when he was so busy anyway. He never aspired to be anything in the church. I only fell into the idea of "blessings" when I found out my boyfriend/ex was gay and then I HOPED they worked. I had a few from the bishop. Talk about toal emptiness.

I felt sorry for the boys as they passed sacrament and blessed it and did HT. My brothers are introverts. This was NOT WHAT THEY WANTED TO DO and hated it. Missions. My disabled brother never should have gone on one. The other 2 left the church before they were in that position.

The only priesthood holders who think they have anything are the assholes.

Yes, it is ridiculous that women have to go through the men to get their input. I do remember sitting in on a few meetings and I thought "this is ridiculous," but I was close to being out. I always found the priesthood to be a bunch of men WHO THOUGHT they had authority over me.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 10:50AM

Perhaps slightly OT, but I've only heard the derogatory "sweet spirit" said about women.

I guess if a guy has "the priesthood" he can never be a loser.

Posted by: BERT ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 11:05AM

Most "Priests" in christian churches are required to be theologians if not put through exhaustive theological studies.

How does a twelve year old become recognized as a priest?

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 12:08PM

12 years old? How dare you! <splitter splutter!> Every one knows a boy has to be 16 in order to be a priest!!

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 12:15PM

Ok. Deacon at 12.

My friend studied for years to pass the theological, counseling and management courses needed to be a deacon in his church.

The titles are grandiose. But the concept of a 12 year old possibly in charge of a congregation because he was the only priesthood holder to show up the is interesting.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 12:22PM

Sperm is sacred; eggs, not so much...

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: December 04, 2017 11:38AM

Their is a Taliban theme in Mormonism in which the education of women means a threat to men and their control over women.

Imagine a ward made up of several female CEO's and board Directors, along with serious female academics whilst the men are car mechanics and house decorators - could you imagine the stupidity of letting men manage finances but letting the women talk about child rearing and how to sew in straight lines.

The church promotes education in moderation for women. Education for the role the church says God has given you - having kids and keeping the house clean.

But look at how things are changing. That the church is transforming slowly yet still pretends it is exactly as it was in 1832 is silly.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.