Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: mrx ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 03:35PM

From reliable sources, a letter is circulating about a test program in some areas to shorten the 3 hour block of meetings to 2 hours. Sacrament meeting 50 minutes Sunday School 30 minutes RS/PH 30 minutes.

Rumors among Utah Mormons is that this thing could go worldwide. There's no timetable for when this could happen.

One rumor involves some buildings housing 4 wards. Apparently, they are reluctant to build expensive new buildings in Utah areas with high growth (big expansions of suburbs and big housing projects that attract young LDS families). With a 2 hour block of meetings, one big building could handle 4 wards.

Has the LDS church overextended by building too many expensive temples. It's hardly a secret that many temples sit vacant for much of the time.

Is the LDS church looking for ways to avoid expensive buildings because the future cash flow is declining?

Could the 2 hour meeting plan be part of existential necessity? Maybe the leaders think a shortened meeting schedule could reduce the big inactivity rate amongst teenagers and young people in their 20s. Certainly the leaders have noticed that vast numbers of members are bored out of their minds during some or all of the 3 hour block meetings.

One of my elderly relatives said he falls asleep in Sacrament Meeting "nearly every time." Obviously bored to tears.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 03:39PM

I won't believe it until I see ghawd's own survey results!!

Posted by: messygoop ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 03:43PM

What's the point if they require every member to serve on a committee that meets before and after church?

Posted by: lurking in ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 04:06PM

This rumor (unsubstantiated?) has been going around for a while.

I'll bet your average TBM is so sick of getting their hopes up that they've stop paying attention.

Posted by: orthus ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 04:12PM

I’ve been hearing this rumor for years. I’m sure it is a dream for many tbms but in my opinion the three hour block is a key piece of their control over members by utilizing the B.I.T.E. model.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 02:34AM

OK, I'll bite--WHAT is the B.I.T.E. model?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 02:38AM

So many of the Mormon topics are now taboo ("I don't know that we teach that.") that there isn't anything left to talk about in the lessons. Just read the Ensign, and be done with it.

Absolutely, they don't want any time for members to socialize.

Posted by: Zeezromp ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 04:56PM

B Behavior Control
I Information Control
T Thought Control
E Emotional Control

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 04:24PM

Outside the Morridor, very few ward houses would have 4 wards close enough to use the building. I don't see that as the major reason for cutting the block, more of a nice side effect.

Temples are cash cows, even if lightly used. If there is a temple nearby, the number of T.R.s increase substantially, which increases tithing. Plus the buildings are essentially billboards that say "Mormons are here and they are successful. Check them out." Even if it doesn't cause any baptisms, it rallies the Mo troops.

It's about reducing boredom (and people skipping one or more of the meetings because of it), pure and simple, IMHO

Plus I'll believe it when I see it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2017 04:26PM by Brother Of Jerry.

Posted by: em10 ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 04:27PM

I still attend church for family reasons, and in 2018 our building will have 4 wards attending, starting at 8, 10, 12, and 2 (but each will still havea 3 hour meeting ). There's been a ton of new housing built in stake next to us, so they had to shuffle things around. We'll see how that goes...

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 04:30PM

Before the block meetings were spread out.

Sunday school included passing the sacrament, announcements, short talk ,then head for class. Jr sunday school was same. But was for kids under 12.

I think it lasted 90 minutes. It seemed to me to go fast.

We rarely attended sacrament meeting as Dad said we did that in sunday school.

They could do the same thing but with priesthood mtg and relief society instead of sunday school. No real reasons for two classes.

Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 06:57PM

4 wards in a building.
Image how smelly the building will be for ward #4?
Image what time Wards 3 and 4 start?
Even it it was a two block, it will be chaos in the halls.
This is about money. I hope the tithe payers are happy.

Posted by: MeM ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 07:06PM

This happened about 5 years ago so perhaps not relevant to the current rumors.
While another ward house was under construction and four wards were meeting in the same building, the stake president approved shortening each ward block to 2 1/2 hours. That meant shorter classes and made the classes almost bearable (almost).
That lasted a few weeks until the "area authority" got wind of it and each ward was back on the three hour block with a chastened stake president. Correlation, correlation, correlation.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 11:09PM

Hell if they'd just ALLOW THE MORMONS TO SOCIALIZE they might just allow nature to take its course.

M@t

Posted by: Weedo ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 11:49PM

It is a much simpler real estate problem than a 3 hour block in Utah and non rural Zions Curtain areas...parking. Not enough parking for the 4 wards to effectively move vehicles in and out. The days of walking to Church are numbered with an aging east side population and suburb sprawl in the south Jordan type Daybrake areas. It is an asset allocation issue.

Posted by: helenm ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 11:15PM

I think everyone in TSCC would be happier with 2 hour blocks and would work better, though I am not in the church and a no-mo. I think your thoughts as to why this could happen seems on point. Church membership is declining and so is tithing. People are leaving from left to right. My convert friend mentioned from a sister in her ward that the church bought this YMCA building near the sister's home. Now that I think of it, I wonder if that project will ever happen to convert the old YMCA building into a church...

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: December 09, 2017 11:54PM

This sucks! It only gives guys 30 minutes to run and grab a donut before priesthood meeting.

Posted by: Anonymous 2 ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 06:08PM

I've heard nothing about this from my TBM dad or our home teachers...it must that time of the year again!!!

Posted by: canuck guy ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 07:02PM

I have seen this rumour for years too, and always discounted it. But now I wonder. With the changes being made to the Melchizedek Priesthood and Relief Society meetings, it does seem as if they could shorten those meetings without too much difficulty (in fact, they might want to do so in order to avoid, for example, the first Sunday council meetings turning into a lot of dead airtime when no one is willing to give forth their inspiration on what the quorum/Relief Society should be doing). Sunday School could also be shortened. But who knows. Again, this is a rumour that has floated around for years and never happens.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: December 10, 2017 07:02PM

This rumor has been going on for maybe 5 years.

Posted by: Phazer ( )
Date: December 11, 2017 09:37AM

Doubt it. More brain washing can be accomplished in 3 hours.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.