Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:24PM

I have noticed this trend and it makes me not want to watch new movies at all that come out. I heard the new star wars was pretty bad and had an obvious agenda in the movie which makes me still not wanting to spend more than 2 hours watching political stuff, there is a reason i do not watch the news or television, don't want to see that nonsense. I don't care how people in hollywood think or what they believe but don't shove it down my throat. Even the mormons use the movie manipulation because it seems to be effective. It seemed like movies were better quality before the year 2000.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 08:59PM

"Now I'm normally a peace loving person, but if you axe me, movie makers have an ask to grind," he said, speaking perfect south central...

I am beginning to suspect that throughout the entire movie making process that the goal all the participants share in common is to make as much money as possible, and so all that they do is geared towards that end. They desperately want you to LOVE the movie, to see it two, even three times and to tell all your homies to see it. Thus the only explanation as to why they so often fail is that they are not bright people. Loud, pushy, insensitive, etc., yes. Just not bright.

Occasionally some rogue director simply wants to convince you to agree with the point he or she thinks she's making.

Take this to heart, young BadAss, people trying to sell you things or ideas just want your money, so they desperately try to figure out just what it is you want. The shame of it all is that the majority of the people they survey don't really know, and often don't care.

(Thiss explains how I construct all my posts, n'est pas? Or, never put off til maƱana what you can do aujourd'hui.)

Date: January 07, 2018 09:16PM

But there was a time when movies were actually quality and an actual art of the director right? Or were they always about money? I figured out that i was getting manipulated a while a go but most people fall for it time and time again with all the built up hype and following the crowd. It does seem like people don't care if they get manipulated like i used to feel. Or even worse they have no idea that they are being manipulated by television, movies, or social media. I just want to enjoy movies again and get lost in them like i am in them, the agendas are too obvious and it absolutely kills the movies now. It's like the agendas keep getting stronger and it is no longer a movie but just a propoganda message disguised as a movie. I never really cared about the social justice stuff before or even knew what it was but now it is getting way too obvious in movies that everybody notices it and its like the movie industry is done for me, there is no more quality like the transformers movies they keep pumping out.

Date: January 07, 2018 09:19PM

I don't have your answers, young Jaywalker. Even the movies I construct in my head are crap.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 01:06AM

but we have adult children older than you, so there is probably a significant difference in tastes.

We have not seen any Star Wars movies since the first one came out after the original three. We were so disenchanted with that one, we never went back.

Date: January 08, 2018 01:51PM

You didn't like the very first star wars film? Wow, it is a little slow i will admit.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:19PM

CIA controls media content. Every studio, every paper, every network has CIA agents or like surrogates on site and at the ready to "contribute" to the "content" of every show.

I agree with you, it is obvious that most of today's media product is essentially propaganda and mind control. I disagree somewhat with EOD, in that I believe the organic process of working to make as much money as possible (as with a new movie project) has been downregulated, while controlling creative power has been purchased by corporations and monied interests with agendas beyond mere short-term profit on product. As with Mormonism, major movie decisions are made top down, and not grass roots up. Like the Big 15, those at the top have their own agendas.

Hollywood insiders will wring their hands over low ticket sales, but the people that employ them are happy with the even more profitable long-term economic strategy of social engineering and mind control of the masses. They are working to build an "improved" human society, which they feel will grant the owners (NOT the masses) and their posterity wealth, power and pleasure in perpetuity.

The money CIA/DOD spends in Hollywood, for instance, is now a big part of all budget considerations for a movie. To enhance revenue, everything in the movie is for sale, and product placement, advertising, hypnotics, subliminals and triggers, plot lines and emotional controls, important symbolism and product display/ID, is included in the script. The operation is much more comprehensive than mere censorship. Combine all this money with insider corporate and social power, peer pressure, punishment and reward (like, you can be fired or killed for not playing their game, an incentive even more powerful than money), PR and the like, and these backlot considerations push art and ticket sales into a lower priority.

With its proliferation of alphabet intelligence agencies and surveillance agencies, the US (and the West in general) has created the equivalent of Orwell's "Ministry of Truth" from his classic novel, "1984". BAA, ya might want to give that one a read, if your recovery involves waking up to the frauds of our society, as well as the frauds of Mormonism. The CIA power model has spread worldwide. The goal is to condition you, to perform the way they deem best. The bankers, generals and spooks have all the money, and with every advance in technology, they get better at the game and gain more access and control of your neurons.

Red pill, blue pill badassadam...

Don't walk in their field, and you won't have to throw your shoes away.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 10:00PM by hello.

Date: January 07, 2018 09:31PM

I am in recovery from both. I figured out their game a while ago but it takes a while to be fully awake from it all, at least for me because everyone else seems to be controlled pretty d@mn well. I watched a lot of television growing up so i figured out what the hell they were doing over time. I am trying to recover and awake from two matrixes. Not easy. A lot of programming is in my head, i literally feel like an mk ultra soldier well i used to feel that way. Like i could be commanded to do anything. But i am trying to become normal but it is very hard. The mind always wants to submit to control and brainwashing like a drug. That's how they get people to keep going to church and keep giving their money away. But how do you live in a mostly brainwashed and controlled society?

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 10:07PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:

> But how do you live in a mostly brainwashed and
> controlled society?

As an awakened person, as a person who has recovered their personal power, and who applies that power diligently to survive and prosper, and yes, even be happy, in an odd world. Have compassion on others who are struggling with various delusions, but make choices to benefit yourself and the wider society, in spite of all.

I find personally, daily meditation helps a lot.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:09AM

If you think the CIA controls Hollywood, you've got a long way to go before you're "awake." Or rational.

Date: January 08, 2018 01:54PM

The cia have admitted they control television. Straight from a cia agents mouth "never watch the television."

Date: January 08, 2018 02:54PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The cia have admitted they control television.
> Straight from a cia agents mouth "never watch the
> television."

Straight from a mormon's mouth: Joseph Smith was a prophet.

No reason to "believe" either claim :)

Date: January 08, 2018 03:35PM

Touche, well said. One day i will be as smart as you hie you just wait haha.

Posted by: StilllAnon ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 10:52PM

CIA =/= Joe Smith. What you're saying is, "well Rob said something false, therefore what Gina said must also be false!"
The deep state exists.

Date: January 09, 2018 11:56AM

That's not what I'm saying.
What I'm saying is that claims without evidence are worthless shite. No reason to believe them.

There's little doubt (because of evidence) that US government agencies at various times have *tried* to "control" the content of Hollywood (and other) movies. And sometimes succeeded. And that some parts are probably still trying.

But there's no evidence the CIA "controls Hollywood." And massive evidence to show that claim false. It's hyperbolic nonsense, that doesn't merit belief.

Posted by: East Coast Exmo ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 02:12PM

I was going to blame aliens. Who knows what they want!

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:24PM

You can't watch movies that depict uppity women in control.
Sounds like YOU are the one with the agenda.

Date: January 07, 2018 09:32PM

I don't have an agenda it's all just weird to watch.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:47PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> It seemed like movies were better quality before
> the year 2000.

"Having an agenda" and "[better] quality" are two entirely different things.

"Moving pictures" began in 1895, with one-minute long films of horses running, etc. (No stories, just films of film technique applied to moving points of focus.) This chapter of film history segued into "plot" films in about 1906.

Which means, from 1895 through [about] 1905, films did not have "agendas," because they did not have stories/plots.

Beginning with the earliest plot-based motion pictures, EVERY film had a "political" agenda, expressed through plot, dialogue, casting, direction, costuming, makeup, hair design...and, increasingly, music...either played by a live pianist sitting in the theatre who played music in sync with the action onscreen, or (later, after "sound came in") on the soundtracks. All stories were told from the viewpoint of a relatively well-to-do (economically, socially, and educationally) viewer---even though ostensibly "told" from the viewpoint (as an example) of a black slave in the Old South (because the actual viewpoint was of a white person IMAGINING what an either an "ideal," or a "villainous," black person or Native American or Hispanic would feel/think/speak, but through the prism of accepted WHITE perception.

Commercial films were then, and are now, the expression of white male privilege (even when told from the viewpoint of a female). It takes a great deal of money to make a film, and that money comes (almost entirely) from white male privilege.

Whether the films are adventure tales, or mysteries, or comedies, or Westerns, or are intended for largely juvenile audiences, the money to produce them comes from white male privilege, and this is true to this moment in time. (Beginning in 1910, there WAS a parallel film industry which made "black" films for "black" audiences, and those films were mostly made with non-white money, but white people almost never saw any of them, so effectively, they don't "count" for this discussion. None of them were seen by white audiences, none of them were reviewed in "white" publications, and none of them "qualified" for newsworthy awards except those few awards specifically restricted to black filmgoers who attended showings in racially-segregated venues.)

The products of the various Disney properties have always been acknowledged as being very narrowly agenda-drawn. When Walt Disney was alive, he was the agenda-drawer...after he died and others succeeded to Disney executive upper levels, this Disney "tradition" continued, uninterrupted...and this is true to this moment, as I am typing this.

Westerns, war-based films, and "warm family stories" are virtually always agenda-driven (often by what they do NOT show, or treat as "invisible").

I agree that films have changed in the last decades, but this change has been prompted by (most importantly) the economic necessity of the foreign audience income streams from those films. This means that the emphasis is usually on special effects and action (because the language and cultural translation problems are vastly reduced in films which are heavily action- and special effects-oriented). American nuance does not translate well into non-English languages and non-American cultures. In today's entertainment industry, the American boxoffice receipts are of secondary importance---really nice when they work out well, but not-so-important if the film bombs here, but is a hit everywhere else on the planet.

I think what you are mostly objecting to is the economic necessity of appealing to the most important foreign markets (Asia, for example). This global economic change HAS changed the way films are plotted, cast, and produced...and not for the better, in my own humble opinion. [*]

[*] I have been running Charlie Chan films one-right-after-another as I go through endless numbers of files, discarding everything I no longer want or need...and Charlie Chan, in just about every Chan film ever made, always mentions his own "humble opinion" at some point in the script. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 11:10PM by Tevai.

Date: January 08, 2018 01:59PM

The targeting of foreign markets is very noticeable you got that right and is very distracting.yes the last ten years has especially been bad. I don't mind diversity but when its too obvious and forced then it just kills it for me. They try to shove as many ethnicities as possible in each movie just for the sake of doing even if they have no acting skills.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 09:57PM

Bottom line is fueled by shareholders of large corporations and making as much money as possible.

Merchandising brings in as much or more revenue often times than the movies do; especially with the children's animated movies or the live action movies. Video games, action figures, etc are mass marketed and generate lots of moolah to keep corporate executives happy. Bringing in as much revenue as possible is the primary agenda of any major motion picture company, period.

That being said, there is sometimes a hidden agenda, according to one of my children who worked several years making children's animated films in Hollywood. It's well known inside the industry that Disney Pixar, and DreamWorks Animation incorporate subtle subconscious suggestions to teach things taught in the classrooms, not in Sunday Schools.

A movie in particular my child worked on was notably made to suggest evolution between the generations in the family movie "Croods." Grandma is bent over and underdeveloped. The father is more like a cave man, etc. His children are more in tune with modern day people. It is subliminal, but not really the emphasis or thrust of the movie. It is part of the whole experience.

DreamWorks Animation was recently bought out by NBC/Universal Studios. It used to make two movies a year. Currently is down to one film a year. Who knows what's going to come of it now that it's been bought out by another company?

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 11:01PM

A movie won't get nominated for an award, without an agenda!

I guess comedy is a thing of the past, too. I mean real laughs, and not limited to crude bathroom humor.

Airplane!
Jim Carrey
Woody Allen (when he was young)
Christopher Guest
Zucher Brothers movies
Monty Python, Peter Sellers, dry British comedy
Mel Brooks

I guess when comedic greats die, there's no one to take their place.

I think I'll watch "Christmas Vacation" again, tonight.

Date: January 07, 2018 11:07PM

How about funny AND uplifting/noble? Okay then!

My Favorite Year (Peter O'Toole)

Let it Ride (Richard Dreyfuss)

Support Your Local Sheriff (James Garner)

Date: January 07, 2018 11:21PM

My all-time favorite, major films are...

"The Day of the Jackal" (1973), starring Edward Fox.

"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" (1969), Paul Newman and Robert Redford.

I don't think either one could get produced now, in today's Asian (etc.) centered market.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 11:25PM by Tevai.

Date: January 08, 2018 02:04PM

I remember liking 'butch cassidy and the sundance kid', my neighbor named his dog sundance haha.

Posted by: sbg ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:08PM

I watched Support Your Local Sheriff just last week.

Another favorite is McClintock with John Wayne. Taming of the Shrew set in the old west.

Date: January 11, 2018 01:29AM

"My Favorite Year," with Peter O'Toole and Mark Linn-Baker.

I have seen that movie many times, and it makes me laugh every time. I'm glad to know that SOMEBODY else on the planet likes it. Back in the days when we could rent videos, I rented it, to share with DH. He totally didn't get the humor, and asked to turn it off just partway through.

It's not on Netflix. I just checked. Sigh.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 07, 2018 11:56PM

It is harder to find what I like to watch anymore. I don't have to buy into someone's agenda just because I go see a movie. I was RAISED on movies. My dad loved movies and my mother would drop us off at the Saturday matinee and then my parents would go to an evening movie.

My favorite movie this past few months is "The Man Who Invented Christmas." It was just really well made and the writing and acting were great. I had to go see it again just to see if I was fooling myself and I loved it even more the second time. I don't buy many movies these days and I will be buying this one.

Thanks for reminding me of "Support Your Local Sheriff." I love that movie. I loved the movie "What's Up Doc." These old comedies. I also like Christmas Vacation. I had it in my blu ray player in my bedroom until yesterday. Finally decided I need to change movies that I fall asleep to. Another one I really like is one with Goldie Hawn and Chevy Chase. It was about an attempt to assassinate the pope. I hate that my memory is so bad these days. Foul Play. That's it.

I'll be watching "The Mountain Between Us" tonight. My sister really liked it and wants me to watch it.

I love to get lost in movies. I love to go to the theater and watch them. My boyfriend and I just went to see Darkest Hour (or hours) last weekend. I thought it was very well made.

I also liked Hidden Figures, although my daughter didn't think I would, but I worked in buildings like those. I worked for the space shuttle program. Even if I worked at Thiokol in the 1970s and 1980s, the furniture was exactly the same as in that movie. My boyfriend (who also spent time at Thiokol) and I loved that movie.

I can usually find something I want to watch.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/2018 11:56PM by cl2.

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 12:28AM

Movies that are memorable and would probably watch again...

Hidden Figures

Wonder

Same Different as Me

Rustlers Rhapsody -

Strictly Ballroom

Date: January 08, 2018 02:07PM

I have seen strictly ballroom before because my cousin liked it a lot. I remember it being pretty good.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 04:39PM

Same Different as Me--Loved that movie.

Also Wonder.

Posted by: a nonny mouse ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 08:55AM

Every story ever told since the beginning of time has a theme - an overall message. Even the most inane fluffy pieces of entertainment have a theme - friendship is good, families are important, love conquers all. Jeez, you did take English in high school didn't you? Movies are stories, of course they have a message, like any piece of art or literature.

Date: January 08, 2018 02:11PM

These are more than just a simple story or theme these days, its almost like propoganda right in your face, or we are in this political party and we think this way so you should to and we are right so we are putting it in movies, or buy all these action figures when they come out but the story sucks.

Date: January 08, 2018 02:46PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> These are more than just a simple story or theme
> these days, its almost like propoganda right in
> your face, or we are in this political party and
> we think this way so you should to and we are
> right so we are putting it in movies, or buy all
> these action figures when they come out but the
> story sucks.

I agree with you...but this has been happening since the very BEGINNINGS of motion picture history, which began about 1906, which is 111 years ago.

You have not consciously noticed this before because, prior to when you began noticing this, the "propaganda" was somehow more in accord with your own inner feelings and beliefs (so there was little or no inner discomfort to you).

On these particular levels, American society began really changing during the World War II era---for all kinds of practical, everyday reasons. By the time Americans who were children during World War II (and after) began to look at their country with more "adult" eyes (even though many were, at that time, chronological adolescents), the Civil Rights Era had begun to come together...

...and we, as a nation, have been evolving ever since.

(This evolution has not always been in one direction: there have been numerous "backwards trends" throughout, in what we can NOW see was a general thrust forward, which can be conceptualized as: civil rights for all, equality for all, the elimination of sexism, misogyny, racism, homophobia, etc.)

These "turn-arounds" were inevitably, and often, picked up by popular film (plus television) productions---the best example being Disney. There has been many a publication, popular as well as academic, which has analyzed Disney, in whole or in part, as a still-existing anchor to socio-economic conventions which are either changing rapidly, or are already, effectively, "past."

You are (as are we all) an individual part of American history, and you are voicing your inner unease at being "prompted" to confront your up-to-now, own inner beliefs and assumptions...

...as the general trend of our culture goes through its various steps to get us to our next, major, historical turning point.

The bottom line is: if you agree with what you are seeing/listening to/reading, you agree---and all feels well
and "right" within you.

BUT...when you notice that your inner "reality" (as you have always assumed it to be) diverges from a newer, contemporary "outer reality," then you (again: as is true of us all) are being prompted to rethink your inner beliefs and assumptions...

...and evaluate whether they are, or are not, still valid for you.

This "prompting" is, and always has been, the purpose of all art, in all of its incredibly varied forms, throughout the history of Western civilization.

So...Welcome to YOUR, unique and individual, place in our species-shared history---not only American history, but in the history of the world!

It is good to see you have arrived!!

:D

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 03:02PM by Tevai.

Date: January 08, 2018 04:37PM

Very interesting.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 01:54AM

Exactly. It is only propaganda if you disagree.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: January 11, 2018 01:53AM

Find movies that agree with your view.You.will like them.Those that dont, might make you think. There has always been a degree of propaganda in movies. Nothing new here.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2018 01:53AM by bona dea.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:43PM

or other merchandise with product placement

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 03:51PM

As goes Hollywood's influence on American culture and society, so goes the world.

It's a globalized society now.

What happens in Hollywood doesn't stay there anymore.

Which is why our societal cultural norms and mores are met with so much resistance by jihadists and despots around the globe.

The war isn't between state lines being crossed. It's a pushback on our societal values they reject outright.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2018 04:18PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 06:20PM

Yeah, they all have an agenda, but its a secret.

It is ..... to make money. Just to make money.

Date: January 08, 2018 08:39PM

Is it though saucie? Is that really all it's about? Seems like more than that.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: January 08, 2018 09:01PM

Oh yeah, you're right, they want to spend millions of dollars

to show people a movie just so they get a secret message.

The idea of makeing a profit is totally abhorant to them.

Is this what you believe?

Making movies is a business.... they are not a charity.

Date: January 08, 2018 11:15PM

I am sure there are special interests that pay millions to put certain things in movies before release. But i don't know, seen a lot of bizarre things in movies that make absolutely no sense to the rest of the story like tons of product placements for example.

Date: January 08, 2018 11:23PM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
> ...like tons of product
> placements for example.

It never crossed my mind that you were talking about product placements.

Product placements are absolutely done for the purpose of additional income to the producers/owners of the film property in question---it is a way of defraying up-front production costs, so the film can begin making a profit ASAP.

Date: January 08, 2018 11:27PM

My favorite, because it was done to make fun of the practice, from "State and Main":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KB5FP3yJIsE

Date: January 09, 2018 01:06AM

Haha that's awesome.

Date: January 11, 2018 01:50AM

a marketing major in school, and was in retail sales all his professional life.

Remember the part where Elliott uses Reece's Pieces to lure ET into the house? I had never tried them before. I was an M&M junkie.

My now-ex whispered to me, "You just watch. Reece's Pieces are going to take off after this." I never saw any market studies to confirm this, but I know that once I tried them, there was no going back. Love 'em.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 13, 2018 02:57PM

That's why I watch only porn.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.