Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: got2Breal ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 03:44PM

I have told the missionaries never to come to my house again. But if they were ever stupid or desperate enough to show up at my door I would be tempted to make them an offer:

I will allow you to make your presentation for a fixed amount of time, say half an hour, if I am also allowed to spend the same amount of time presenting the evidence for reincarnation and a non-humanlike God. No interruptions are allowed, all questions must wait until after both presentations. We will flip a coin to see which one goes first. I wonder what they would say?

Have any of you ever made a similar offer to discuss your current religious beliefs, or the lack thereof, to the missionaries? If so, did they accept and how did it go?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 04:17PM

Tried that with mormons and JWs.

Never worked well.

Despite the name, missionaries have little or no true religous training. They are not respectful of other peoples beliefs.

They are teenage boys following a script. Any variation and they just bear their testimony.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 06:53PM

I've seen it. The missionaries get upset.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 07:21PM

Sounds like an hour of wasted time. You have about the same chance of getting a missionary to see logic as they do convincing you to be a good lds member. Exercise in futility.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: January 14, 2018 08:49PM

That doesn't work. As you speak to them they will have a look on their face of your words hitting them in the forehead and dropping to the floor. Bashing with them will reap absolutely nothing.

My experience has been that by setting a great example of not needing their religion (or, for that matter, god) in your life in order to be happy, caring, and productive, actually opens up some meaningful discussion. Top that off by saying it is impossible for you to have a testimony of Joseph Smith and that basically will shut down their attempts to convert you.

My goal when I run into them is to have them leave mumbling, "Damn, Brother Jaxson sure would make a good Bishop." LOL!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.