Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 01:26AM

What was so great about living in a male dominated, racist society controlled by religion? Gas was cheap but paychecks were low. Might have been great for people who grew up in the Depression and lived through the war but not compared to now.

At least they made some good science fiction films back then.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 01:28AM by anybody.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 01:44AM

I have no knowledge of boomers wanting to recreate the 50s. I guess I live a sheltered life.

Posted by: Topper ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 03:20AM

You're on the wrong BB if you want to complain about boomers. We dominate here.

As for our wanting to recreate the 50's, you are making assumptions.

Speaking for myself, I have enough to do just to keep up with the waves of new innovations in this era.

Let's sound out for the plusses of our cohort. I'll start.
A very large percentage of us are highly educated.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 03:40AM

being born near the end of the generational boundary, but I have a lot of nostalgia for the sixties, seventies, eighties, and even the nineties. Given a do-over, I'd go back and take everyone with me, if that was a condition.

Hey, maybe I really am a boomer. lol

Posted by: Holly Boomer ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 03:49AM

I'm confused. WTH are you talking about?

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 04:06AM

Wha?????

People are throwing out the smartphones? Is the internet dead?

Not sure where you came up with that lame-brain idea, to be honest.

Posted by: ANON 3 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 04:35AM

Well, there was also motorcycles and really fast cars and Italy and NYC. Film noir. Scandal.
Tales from the crypt. EC comics.Mad magazine.Disneyland. Gum with Joe Bazooka.Treehouses without city code.
I don't know anyone from the 50's who want to drag us back to the first Nixon era. There were 2 sides to the 50's and you would see that in Animal House which was on the precipice of the Turmoil of the Vietnam war.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 04:52AM

Having grown up in the 50s (I graduated from 8th grade in 1960) I
can definitely say I don't want to recreate the 50s. I remember
Newt Gingrich saying that the 50s was the cultural peak of
America, and we needed to get back to that. And I couldn't help
but think, "Gee, Newt, I wonder what color, gender, and sexual
orientation you are."

Date: January 27, 2018 06:20AM

James Dobson --81
Gary Bauer -- 71
David Duke -- 67
Fraklin Graham -- 65
Steve Bannon -- 64
Ann Coulter -- 56

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 12:18PM by anybody.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:12AM

The TV show “Happy Days” was propaganda. Apparently, it worked all too well. Sure, bring back MAD.

Posted by: Anon3 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:41AM

EC comics please.

Date: January 28, 2018 03:24AM

What? Me worry?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 05:34AM

It's fairly normal as people age to experience nostalgia for the way things "used to be."

As a boomer myself however, don't identify with the subject OP.

I came of age in the 70's. I wasn't born until '59.

My nostalgic music is a combo of 60s, 70s, and 80s - with some 90s.

Not that I really desire to recreate those years. The music is what I identify with.

The music my parents used to listen to as their 'oldie goldies' has been replaced with mine.

Isn't that the way it goes?

Date: January 27, 2018 10:02AM

OMG .... you're the same age as my sister. *LOL*

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 06:18AM

Still trying to figure out who wants to recreate the 50's. Hmmmm. I got nothing.
Maybe, op, you know one person who talks about it, and they drive you crazy or something like that.
Maybe too many episodes of "Happy Days."

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:12AM

Okay, there's that aberration in the Oval Office, who's technically one, but he insists that not only he didn't inhale, he didn't imbibe in alcohol, either...

/insert W.C. Fields' line about not trusting a man who doesn't drink... Okay, I don't, but I used to...

Recreate the 50's? Shoot, I barely remember them...

Now the 60's? What's wrong with wanting to live a fantasy on a deserted island with Ginger and Mary Ann?

Of course if you're a TBM, as many here were, you truly believed in your heart of hearts that nobody other than Mr. and Mrs. Howell ever spent a night in hut other than their own...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 07:13AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Lumberjack ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:17AM

I was born in late 1957. I can't recreate something I don't remember. Normal, rational people don't want to recreate a bygone era. They couldn't do it if they tried. It is normal to look back at the happy times of one's life and wish it were like that again, but that isn't going to happen in real life. For me, listening to the music of the late '60s and early '70s is the closest I'm going to get to bringing those times back. I do love that music, though.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:49AM

OP thinks boomers are smug and self-centered and think the world revolves around them. OP wants them to realize the world revolves around OP.

::snort::

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 08:55AM

I was born at the tail end of the baby boom. I don't remember the 50s. My earliest memory of the larger, outside world was seeing President Kennedy pass by in a convertible in a motorcade.

So to address your points --

"Male dominated" -- we were the generation to make changes in that area in terms of workplace equality. It was a tough battle. I remember one woman reporting to me that she was not hired for a managerial job for which she was far and away the best qualified candidate. Things are not 100% perfect now, but they are a whole lot better.

"Racist" -- I remember Dr. King's speech and his assassination. Again, members of our generation were among those enacting and supporting change.

"Controlled by religion" -- I would say that more people had at least a nominal church back then, but even as a child I knew of neighbors who rarely or never attended church. Again, the boomers were the generation that started to loosen their ties to churches.

"Gas was cheap" -- Yes, but it's cheap now as well.

"Paychecks were low" -- No. Families could easily survive on one income back then. But the highest business executives were not receiving obscene wages, and people didn't have all of the "toys" that they do now. You didn't have a cable TV bill, an internet bill, nor a cell phone bill. There were no personal computers nor wide-screen TVs. Kids were not demanding the latest electronic gaming system.

"Might have been great for people who grew up in the Depression and lived through the war" -- Those would be our parents, a.k.a. "The Greatest Generation," and they earned their name. They were made of tough stuff. You didn't storm the beach at Normandy, did you? They did (a friend's mom landed at Normandy as a nurse, following the first wave of troops.) No, they weren't perfect, but they have my respect.

Now if you are talking about Mormon church leaders, that's another story. They didn't move with the times. Most other people did.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 09:02AM by summer.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 09:18AM

I think the OP is referring to the world-view of the leadership of the LDS church, which is heavily influenced by the way things were in the 50s. At that time patriarchy and white dominance were in full swing, and that seems to be all the LDS church has to offer.

Notre that these leaders are not baby boomers. Baby boomers, for all their supposed narcissism, were the ones who changed the status quo. Boomers were the ones who said no to racism, homophobia, corrupt US foreign policies and so on. The LDS top leaders- whose world views are declared the Mind and Will of God, per the LDS construct- are products of the Depression and WWII. For that group, the 50s were like heaven. It was the first time in their lives that was not defined by deprivation. The prosperity seemed like an outright divine reward for all their efforts and suffering.

P.S>- it seems Summer and I were thinking alike.

The boomers certainly benefited from the prosperity, but also saw that there were problems. The boomers decided to try to rectify those problems. The WWII generation interpreted those efforts as personal attacks, and frequently they were personal. The religious among them saw them as attacks on God and saw themselves as specially called by God to resist those social upheavals. And that's how we got the current Mormon situation. The leadership is resistant to change not because they are old per se, but because of the world view they developed growing up. That cohort places high value on following the norms that bound their society together. Boomers placed high value on seeing to it that each person have the right to decide for him or herself how they want to live their lives. That is the current problem for the LDS church.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 09:32AM by slskipper.

Date: January 27, 2018 11:22AM

“That cohort places high value on following the norms that bound their society together.”

So lies are the ties that bind. Greatest generation my ass.

Date: January 27, 2018 11:57AM

except for the ancient ossified Brethren

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 09:57AM

I'd love to get behind the wheel of a 1956 Studebaker Skyhawk...

again.

It was my first legal ride, the first car I made out in, first car I got a ticket in.

My memories of growing up a baby boomer are overwhelming positive and maybe that's the attraction of whomever is annoying the OP.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:01AM

For the OP: No era has been perfect. Having lived from the mid-50’s, life was so much simpler. Yeah, we had Viet Nam. The civil rights battle. Bay of pigs. Duck and cover. Anti-war protesting and other issues. However, there was a greater sense of trust and community. People, IMHO were less afraid and more likely accepting.

As a kid, I would do my chores, grab my fishing pole and BB gun. Strap them on my bike. Never said where I was going. Just had to be home by dark. May ride 20 miles one way to catfish. Didn’t take water because I could stop at any home and drink from their hose. No swat teams showed up to arrest me for stealing water

At 12, my two friends and our dogs would be hauled as far up the mountain as Mom could get. Drop us off for 3 or 4 days of hiking, not even sure exactly where we would be. If we hiked out early, we’d walk dirt roads until someone came by and let us jump in the back of their truck for a ride. Child protective services would intercede now.

Could go on and on about those days. They were better and simpler. Would take that era over today without even thinking about it.

Wish you could have experinced it.

As for money? Hamburger, bread and gas were about $0.25 cents. In 1970 I made $2.00/hour. I could buy 8-10 gallons of gas for an hour of pay. How many can be bought today for the typical $10.00/hour wage?

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 10:57AM

I am a baby boomer but have always hated that term. I would not want to recreate the 50s. I had a very decent middle-class childhood, but was severely bullied in Jr.High in the days when nobody did anything about that. I had friends who were beaten and molested by relatives, often fathers, but you did not talk about that, nor about alcoholism, unwed pregnancy, domestic abuse, divorce, depression or suicide. Yes, all of those things went on, but you could not discuss it. The whole society was complicit in covering it up, creating a false reality that we all lived in a TV sitcom world. Racism was everywhere and accepted, xenophobia was the order of the day (the Commie menace, the Asian menace etc) and it was very hard for girls with ambitions in science to be taken seriously.

The term based on when was born(1946-64) is way too broad and does not address how many vastly different individuals with different life experiences are squeezed into that parameter.Yes, there were some good things in the 50s but there was also a great deal of bad for many folks. Let it go and work for a better today and tomorrow.

Posted by: Male ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:23AM

Posted by: Female ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:20PM

the majority of, or even an equal-ish number of, positions of power (government, commerce, religion) have been or are held by women.

Please feel free to include societies with a female monarch, or other queen-god position.

The answer to your question - In my view, it's due to "might makes right" societal indoctrination, or animalistic behaviors still being acceptable to the majority of humans, because that is how we/they were/are raised.

I wonder why any modern male might need "sensitivity training," when roughly half of the population is female. I don't wonder why there are zero female board members at the company where I work. I don't wonder why the majority of their work force are female, except for the most highly paid positions. I don't wonder why, given these dynamics, in a "right to work" State, in order to work there, one must sign a non-disclosure where discussing one's pay rate is cause for termination, and even here in the US, the company handbook states that trying to organize a union is also cause for termination.

Don't these things impinge on feedom of speech and association?

It's worse "male domination" than can be found in religion. I can walk away from religion, but where do I go to live in a society not dominated by males?

You asked for thoughts. My thought is that evolution is still somewhere toward the beginning.

Posted by: incognitotoday ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:50PM

It doesn’t become that. It has always been. From pre-historic times. The better question is how does it stop? How do we all overlook differences and respect them? And doing that does not mean in return putting anyone in the same quarter as payback. It’s evolution of thought. Wisdom. It’s about raising everyone up.

Posted by: anonob ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 06:39PM

Not necessarily true. Some anthropologists might disagree: ancient Crete, for example, seems to have harbored powerful women. I’ve certainly read speculation that it wasn’t/isn’t until humans became/become aware of the contribution of males to the reproductive process, that male domination became/becomes completely ingrained in most cultures. At this point males seem to/seem to have assumed that they have everything to do with reproduction, women merely serving as “vessels” for their undiluted, complete in itself, ”seed.” The rise of agriculture, with it’s use of static occupation of specific territories and the rise of animal husbandry, and breeding also furthered the development and entrenchment of of notions of ownership of resources (including women) and their long-term control i.e.: inheritence.

Nevertheless, there are still matriarchal (at least in terms of inheritence) societies today, particularly in the Pacific. These societies tend to be sexually permissive by western standards with little to no concern for male parentage. Rather than valuing virginity in females they typically look for fecundity, a women not being considered a valuable prospect as a mate until she has born at least one child. There is evidence that Hawaiian “Queens” wielded great power.

Ask yourself where the Semitic requirement of male circumcision comes from. What was the motivation for requiring that males mutilate themselves for deity? One possibility is that it is derived from practices requiring male acolytes of various early Near Eastern (probably female deities) to castrate themselves as a sacrifice. Or, it could be related to a deep-seated envy of the ability to bleed from ones genitals regularly (without dying in the process) as a clear signal of adulthood. I’ve read speculation that this is probably a motive behind the tradition of males subincizing their penises in Australia.

Perhaps the fact that anthropological and historical fields of inquiry have, until recently, also been dominated by males, has had more than a little to do with the perception that male dominance of societies is and has always been the “natural” order of things. Not too long ago, I read an interesting article about genetic testing on the ancient skeletal remains of an apparently powerful and rich Eurasian warrior which had been assumed for decades to have been male. To the great surprise of even many of today’s archaeologists the skeleton turned out to be that of a female, buried with all of her power signifying weapons and accoutrements of war.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:32AM

Ba-Boom-booom-booomer here! Cant get enough of every year I live. New songs. New art. New discoveries. And, best of all. Still no horses, steel, wheat, or chariots! Yay!

When I was a kid we had a black box on the wall for a phone that had a handle to wind so I could tell the operator, who I knew, who I wanted to talk to. I am very fond of that memory. Don't want a black box now though.

I went nuts when the Beatles and Rolling Stones hit the scene and went crazy over Petula Clark and DownTown. Kind of sick of a lot of them now and can't stand the "Oldies" station. Now I'm crazy on Harry Stiles and Arcade Fire.

I know who's crazy to take us back to then---the ones who had it so good. The Mormon Gerontocracy and the Politicians pandering to the religious right who do want to go back to the 50's. So much easier to control the masses in the good ole days.

Not me. Don't want to watch the race riots on T.V. again while listening to the Mormons around me say,"Give them an inch and they'll take a mile." The fifties weren't good for everyone.

I like Forward. It's a bumpy ride sometimes, but sometimes a good jolt puts your back in alignment.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:37AM

Date: January 27, 2018 11:41AM

What? And shut down the "greatest show on earth?" Who would give that up for someone as presidential as Ike?

Date: January 27, 2018 12:02PM

I don't see your connection between the demise of the Ringling Brothers Circus and Eisenhower. Eisenhower's virtue was that he was an administrative President, who evaluated the bills that came to him and signed them, because he had been involved with Congress, which was Democrat-controlled (except for 1951-53), and differences had been worked out.

Then he administered them.

Some may see this as a shortcoming, but he did not get involved in mass ideological movements, but responded prudently: for example, federalized the Arkansas National Guard to enforce the Supreme Court's decision(s) on integration of public schools. He also developed a specially trained contingent of US Marshals to enforce integration as a lower profile agency to advance compliance.

Date: January 27, 2018 12:07PM

When I said "greatest show on earth" I wasn't talking about Ringling Bros. I was referring to the three ring circus on Pennsylvania avenue.

I like Ike. Did then and still do.

Date: January 27, 2018 12:56PM

At the risk of wrenching this thread into politics, my son has an interesting thesis concerning Trumpster's outrageous, often vulger, remarks, behavior, and tweets.

1) He's notoriously politically IN-correct, which his ideological and political adversaries abhor, but delights and entertains his base.

2) More to the point, he plays his adversaries (which is just about everybody who's anybody) like a cat chasing a laser dot: it's irresistible to them; they scamper this way and that, and slide across the floor and crash into the wall--while he focuses on his agenda. Silly, distracting, effective.

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:50AM

What I liked about the 50s (and 60s) was that you could actually work on your own cars, engines and all.

You didn't need computers and expensive diagnostic equipment.

Posted by: commongentile ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:11PM

I am nostalgic for the 1950s -- the decade of my childhood. But because of my Mormonism hobby, I can still get a 1950s "fix" everytime I hang out with Mormons or the Mormon missionaries!

Date: January 27, 2018 12:16PM

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:19PM

Not in every way, but probably in as many ways as not.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:32PM

I was born in 1949--early part of the baby boomer era.

On the plus side--we all walked to school and nobody thought our parents were neglecting us. It was safer then.
Everything was simpler.
We had one phone in the house and it didn't have an answering machine.
We had three TV stations. We didn't watch it all that much.

On the minus side--women were not encouraged nor expected to get higher educations. My father groused about me continuing in college after my first year because he thought it was a waste of his money to help with tuition.

my long time boyfriend then husband was deeply closeted and took to heart the words of the mormon leaders. If only I had known.

Posted by: csuprovograd ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 12:45PM

To the OP ---

No need to be upset, you'll get a participation trophy at the end. No kid left behind...

Date: January 27, 2018 12:48PM

Why should I have to learn history ? It all happened before I was born.

Posted by: moehoward ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:25PM

How about going back to the healthcare of the 50s. Ah, no thanks

Posted by: ragnar ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 05:09AM

When doctors made house calls.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 07:30PM

I have no interest in recreating the fifties, and I find the charge ridiculous. I'm a boomer with tech addiction. No way I want to go back in time. I'm content to write about it.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 09:02PM

You seem confused, anybody.

Baby boomers are generally considered to have been born after World War 2 and up until 1964 or so.

As this is so they did not live through the depression, nor did they live through World War 2, so there is no reason why Baby boomers would be guilty of your charge of wanting to recreate the '50s.

You might be getting confused between the various generations.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomers

Date: January 28, 2018 01:27AM

I'm not confusing the generations.

There's a lot of nostalgia for this mythical past by the now senior boomers.

My point is that it wasn't all that great from a modern point of view and you can't go back to the past.

Aside from the post-war economic boom the reality of that time was "herrenvolk" democracy -- something we wouldn't accept today.

I keep asking myself how the current situation arose and why a great many people -- many of whom are boomers -- dread the future America and want to try and somehow recreate that past... and everyone else be damned.

Ask yourself this question: Would you want all of America to be inthrall to a false reality like Mormonism?

That's what's happening.

Objective fact-based reality is under serious threat -- something that I thought I would never experience in my lifetime.

Disgusting racist, white nationalist, xenophobic views once regarded as insanely extreme are now becoming mainstream -- and religion is the framework for this.

The reason why I ask the questions I do here is because I want people to realise how they can be manipulated to accept things they otherwise would not and to think about what's going on.

To make "religious freedom" a vehicle for hate and intolerance and faith-based hate to be accepted as "love" and reality not even real is something beyond Dr. Goebbels wildest dreams.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2018 01:28AM by anybody.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 05:21AM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 11:43PM

What are you talking about?

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 12:41AM

I know boomers that still live like it is the 50's like my father for example. They have a f#cked up way of thinking in my opinion. They would save themselves over helping my generation. Well at least in my experience.

Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 01:42AM

Ok, I've got the chair with the wagon wheel and the horse head on the back...

Anybody got the sofa they wanna sell me?

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 01:44AM

and whole crop dusters families dying of cancer?

want to recreate chlordane and DDT before kesterson?

want to recreate above ground nuclear testing dusting "down winders" for life time consequences of cancers?

want to recreate the need for "super fund" toxic clean up )can you say that : su- per - fun' d that's right, say it with me faster now: super-fun-d try it again: sueper funnnnd RIGHT got it!

wow so fun. YOU go back in the fifties if YOU want it. Still sucking up the water from all that pollutant, oh- the fifties, before ground water testing closed elementary school wells put ag vicinity communities on bottled water. WOW super fun

right want that back. WHO are you?

lets not even talk about segregated separate desegrated life & how that would impact those of us in love across skin tone or (shock) (gasp) different nose or (shock NOOOOO) different sect
(according to fifties cliques don't mix)

WHO ARE YOU Go back to the fifties oh just euthanize me first

/paintinginthewin had to get my 2 Cents

Posted by: paintingnotloggedin ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 02:43AM

oooh. thanks for the link. Nostalgic vingar vintage rescript with inserting life's digital pleasures, the powers of near universal education instead of field working children & work skills via pell grants and student loans where calculus doing kids born out of privelige didn't spend entire lives serving food as a waitress in diners- Has folks in who were polled Confused. Addled as an egg scramble, given the logic just can't connect the links. Perhaps the folks who answer the poll are like blink blink can't think. Or tylenoled rxed out of empathy so drugged they can't feel for others, or wake up between fixes frightened for existence. I'm sorry that was a cold statement about impacts of medication on folks who don't have the privelige to change their life situation when they want to. I think I should erase it. & no one can help their genetic heritage or background enculturation curdling them like milk when life lemon juice add in. They say make lemonade when life give you lemons, but I'm telling you, for some just add that lemon juice and they just curdle like sour milk and run for them drugs. Like my beloved little brother & my precious dear departed mother and I hear my successfulest grandpa and up the tree it goes. Can't expect logic from a stone can you.

Who the demographic sample for the poll, how was geologically located, was it sprinkled across all universal zip codes by percentage of population with the zip code, and demongraphically spread through all races, all ages, within each zip across the entire north American continent? Or was it misrepresenting certain state s or locations? Demonstrating regional differences in culture and opinion? I'm just wondering.

I read the article, but what I didnt' get was the link to the chart of their participants age, race, zip code, and geo locator demonstrating absolute continental representation of the stated opinion. Could they have an agenda? Could people of opposing opinion over- believe them, and like, panic? What do paniced people do? how much more engaged are paniced people when they experience fear? how would this poll and poll results engender fear or stress response, or vigilance, increased vigilance. sort of like fear of persecutation and stories of historic persecution is placed in Mormon primary and sunday school classes sprinkled throughout child hood to generate a sense of anxiety and fear and other and - activity.
(in the church in this sense.)

Not half the people on the continent could feel that way. Unless the vintage is from cartoons not the pesticide sprayed
no beog pell grant student aide job trained heart surgery valve replacement stroke and heart attack medication intervention even anti depressents weren't even in existence.
Like they'd want that back.
well, antibiotics that still works- that you could envy from the seventies or the eighties. You don't need to go all the way back the fifties- people were dying from such trivial things like breathing - can you imagine all the inhalers invested between here and then? like= GOD birth control! Life without choice in having children? Watch one of those women sisters children vomiting everyone driving in dresses movies. Its got a name was it YaYa ?Sisters? Kids vomiting having to wear dresses pregnant vomiting herself domestic violence don't want to live that way. fifties huh. oooh That's a great good propoganda "hinge" / "launch"

I don't know. think I'm preaching to the choir here. Those rules and laws go both ways, protect interests of all groups from discriminatory conduct and say NO NO to any form of lynching or racial or gang violence by anyone to anyone from anyone, I wouldn't want to be without that. Look at the Khemer Rouge, people who even look like each other need anti discriminatory conduct legal codes. It seems really important. Look at Stalin relocating people off farms started a famin and those people were all related same ethnicity, we just need rights, civil code of conduct which is, anti discriminatory apparently. as part of our humanity.

hmmm. fifties. mm. (shakes head) those late fifties fools made somebody else adopt me born a _)___ and too dark haired for those tow heads in the house to keep it was soo segrated. Go back like hell!

Date: January 28, 2018 02:50AM

I guess it’s my age, but I quit looking back on the ‘50s and seeing mushroom clouds. Now I just look back and long for my parents.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 03:24AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I guess it’s my age, but I quit looking back on
> the ‘50s and seeing mushroom clouds. Now I just
> look back and long for my parents.

Lucky Lucky Lucky YOU. I can not stand either of my MORmON parents. Dying was the best thing my MORmON enforcement agent male parent ever did!!! When my MORmON female parent finally passes, oh well....

Date: January 28, 2018 05:02AM

Maybe it’s because mine weren’t mormon.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 06:14AM

I long for mine too Kathleen, and they were Mormon. I haven't held that against them. Mine did the best they could with what they were given.

Above all, it was love that gave our relationship meaning.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 06:02AM

Go ahead, Tell everyone all about which is really worse;

The nasty controlling post WWII dictatorial old men authority figures of the "50's" that had to have things a certain way at any expense ....except their own, or the $hit for brains millennials who want to ruin everything in the interest of divers(h)ity for the sake divers(h)ity.

I, personally, have had plenty of run ins with the old guard. Including their insistence that I serve a full time mission, that I so readily and so foolishly complied with.

Watch Bonanza or Hawaii 5-0 and note when Lorne Greene or McGarrett slip into their ultra authoritative roles, or Bruce McConkie in action for that matter. It is ugly, however that is the way that Alpha males were expected to act at the time.

When I was a little kid, I had my butt kicked so hard that my feet came off of the ground (and THAT is NOT hyperbole) many times, most often as a running reminder of what could happen to me IF I ever dared to actually do anything wrong, NOT because I had done anything wrong, But because I was not getting correct things done FAST enough to suit those in charge.

Our sick twisted grade school principal felt that he had to clamp down on us students because he also felt that the (HIS) elementary school was half a click from erupting into the next Kent state anti war riots, not because we the students really were that bad but because he pathologically longed for that kind of notoriety that he would NEVER have as an el. ed. head administrator at tiny school in a rural town.

I ended up under formal discipline in his office ......along with 35 other students because I had the nerve to start a petition asking for better food and menu changes at the school cafeteria. Stupid ass me. I had this false impression that voicing an opinion and gathering signatures on a petition to gather support was the very essence of the American way, you know -the vaunted democratic way, the very way that teachers at school that I had to listen in school so often talked about IN SCHOOL. Now, how/WHERE did I get such a mistaken notion from ?????

There were too many of us better food mongers to fit into the Principal's office all at once. So we had to be divided into two groups, to be processed through the yelling and belittlement that was needed to purge our souls of the notion that we might be entitled to anything better. By the way we were treated, It was more like we had been caught trying to burn down the place.

That is just ONE of many similar (bad) experiences that I had dealing with authority figures from the 1950's.

Then there are the millennials ....or what the Hell ever they really are. SO readily identified by their jello muscle tone of their legs and arms, muscle tone that they (do NOT) have because they have NEVER had to do anything in their (pathetic) ultra coddled lives. AND all of the body piercings, tattoos, and enlarged ear lobe hoops, and other desperate failed attempts at individual divers(h)ity for the sake of divers(h)ity, and their (whiny ass, cry baby) political opinions based on that same divers(h)ity.

Here is the deal: As a young person, I had my life totally micro managed by "50's" style male authority figures. As a subject, I was NOT entitled to express the slightest objection or resentment to their plans for me. As a parent, I had zero desire to be as strict or as rigid as a fanatical "McConkie" or they had been in dictating terms to my children, ..... but what I wanted did not matter at all !!! by the time I was a parent, as my mentally ill spouse played her mommy card and her victim card, it completely eliminated any of my input into my children's lives that I might have had as a male parent. That is one HELL of a big swing in how things work regarding male influence -a huge change that took place with in 2 to 3 decades/ one generation. The one thing that remained consistent was that what I thought NEVER mattered at all. Then people above me and below me in age are bewildered as to why I ended up saying to Hell with everything, and completely dropped out of EVERYONE else's plans/role assignments for me.

....and there you are, whining about rigid 1950's style authority figures and the rigid atmosphere of the 1950's potentially making a come back, even as you have never really, actually had to deal with them..... ( at least you are not making another dreadful pitch for sympathy for the blight on humanity known as Islam ....while also dreading a comeback of 1950's style rigidness! SMH !!!!!! )

I sure do feel sorry for you !!!

Posted by: anonyXMo ( )
Date: January 28, 2018 07:23AM

I don't see a lot of that these days ("Grease" was a while ago) but I'm alarmingly seeing more and more '80s retrolotry.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.