Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: noddy ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 05:35PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 12:02AM by noddy.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 05:41PM

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 05:56PM

Read about John the Baptist, for example, and ask yourself if that had any resemblence to the Mormon Temple? Now wave your hands over him and say "I hearby unbaptise you." Just as valid as Joe Smith's procedure he lifted from the Freemasons.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:03PM

Depends on what you mean by "invalidate."

If you mean no longer be a member of the church, then they need to resign their membership and have their name "removed". A simple letter or e-mail will do it.

If you mean invalidate the mojo of "baptism" in the eyes of god, I suppose you can do whatever you want. Heck, just go find a hickory stump at midnight on a full moon, hop on one foot while swinging a dead rooster around over your head, and shout "your baptism is invalid" 3 times as loud as you can. That should do it.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 10:26AM

find a hickory stump at midnight on a full moon, hop on one foot while swinging a dead rooster around over your head, and shout "your baptism is invalid" 3 times as loud as you can.

That's what Joseph Smith would have done.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:18PM

Let's see if I have this straight: you're trying to get LDS Inc to repossess their imaginary unicorn? Good luck with that. They will resist lowering their "unicorns delivered" count, aka membership count.

If the unicorn recipient is not interested in resigning, you really should MYOB. Not your problem to solve.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 06:31PM

Did he sit down later and get confirmed?

I have no idea how that may or may not complicate matters; I'm just curious what happened after he emerged from the waters of baptism, cleansed of all his sins...

ETA: it just occurred to me: he was probably in the same position as the majority of 8 years old, in terms of understanding just what the hell was going on. The kids have zero answers to most question regarding the gospel and probably know less than the gentleman under discussion, and those baptism count in the eyes of alrighty ghawd...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2018 06:34PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: may log in later ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 07:11PM

So the missionaries cleared the investigator as good to go? What a surprise!

Was baptizing the guy a wrong move? I get what you're asking, but in reality, baptizing *anyone* into the church is a wrong move, challenged or not.

That said, don't hold yourself personally responsible for the dunking. If it hadn't been you, it would have been someone else. But I am curious as to why a missionary didn't perform it, since that's what they live for.

In any event, it's now out of your hands. You thought the church would willingly give up potential free labor? Not a chance.

For what it's worth, he's not going to be a profit center for the church. His tithing will be minimal at best, and the church won't treat him too well. High probability he won't last long.

But if you really want to speed things up, you two can always make out passionately during Sac Meeting. That'll get you both exed in a hurry.

Posted by: Well Endowed ( )
Date: February 01, 2018 07:47PM

Send me $5 and I'll do it for you

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 03:55AM

All good answers, up until now...

[Speaking of points ('not points of light’), POINT AT MORMONISM. Laugh Loudly. And FORGET IT.]

(Mormonism is invalid so nothing is needed - and everything is wanted).

Surely more will follow (MY POST, not Mormonism)

Posted by: laughing in provo ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 08:39AM

if you are baptized but not confirmed you are not a member of the church.

lots of mormons think that just being baptized does not cleanse you of your sin, its not until you have the gift of the holy ghost that you are clean.

Posted by: Dennis Moore nli ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 09:47AM

Its just a bunch of made up bullshit anyway, so it doesn't matter. Or it seems to me...

The best answer from Jonny the Smoke:

"If you mean invalidate the mojo of "baptism" in the eyes of god, I suppose you can do whatever you want. Heck, just go find a hickory stump at midnight on a full moon, hop on one foot while swinging a dead rooster around over your head, and shout "your baptism is invalid" 3 times as loud as you can. That should do it."

-Dennis

Posted by: readwrite ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 11:48AM

Quit Mormonism

(Like it quit you, the day you were baptised - or born [again?] - whichever came first [probably your dad], and varies, depending on your age of reason (if you had one) and family [disorder]/ {BIC?/ CONvert])

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/02/2018 11:55AM by readwrite.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 02:56PM

My baptism and that of my siblings was never valid. We were all baptized pre-1978 by someone who had more than a drop of Negroid blood--in fact 8%. Had that been known, that person would not have been a priesthood holder. The excuse that since it wasn't known, it's valid, defies all sense of anything that can be called logic.

What was one of the first things we learned in paralegal school? Ignorance of the law is not a defense. I was never a legitimate mormon. I wasn't worthy to get my endowments. In 1976 even a woman with negroid blood could not go through the temple, so all those so-called covenants I made to suffer my life to be taken before I'd reveal the secret passwords and handshakes were not valid.

So have your DNA tested. Maybe it was never valid in the first place.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 02, 2018 05:37PM

Were you ever told by the church that your baptism was invalid or is this some sort of rationalization you concocted in your own head?

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 03:59AM

NormaRae, I heard that, too: If the person who baptized you was UNWORTHY of having the Holy Priesthood, then your baptism was invalid!

My ex-husband baptized my children, when he did not believe in Mormonism. He had read "No Man Knows My History," and declared Mormonism to be a cult, but his fanatic parents were in our ward, and his mother would grab her chest and pretend to have a heart attack, if he ever said anything "anti-Mormon." Also, I discovered much later, a while after we were divorced, he had been a serial adulterer, ever since our honeymoon, so he was unworthy that way, too.

My children officially resigned with me, however, just to be very sure they were not Mormons anymore.

I looked into the possibility of being re-baptized into the Lutheran church, but the Lutherans accept Mormon baptisms as valid. I'm sure there are churches that insist on their own re-baptism of new members. I was willing to almost anything to undo my Mormon baptism.

A few more months down the road leading away, I did come to the realization of most of the posters here: It was all fake. Mormons had no "authority" from God, no "Priesthood", no special insights into Christ, as they had claimed.

So, I found, online, an old book of witchcraft spells, and found a spell to undo an evil curse. Since I viewed baptism as an evil curse that need do be undone, I followed the directions, exactly. It had to be done outdoors, during the waning moon, at midnight, and involved lighting a black candle, and repeating the memorized chant, then burying the candle. It was about 10 years ago, so I don't remember it, exactly. The night was chilly, with a slight breeze rustling the autumn leaves, and the moon was perfect. I felt I had as much power as any so-called Mormon priesthood holder, and much more spirit!

Well--that--plus officially resigning--and in my letter declaring my baptism to be null and void, along with all my temple vows and ordinances.

I felt self-conscious buying a black candle, and couldn't find one at the store, so I had to ask the clerk, and she shouted, "Can you find a black candle for this customer?"

I looked behind me, and my old bishop was standing there. I said, "It's my brother's 40th birthday."

This bishop had been ex-communicated for having an affair with my neighbor's daughter-in-law, when my neighbors were on their mission. Their son came home from work early, and caught them in bed.

He was standing behind me, with his new wife, the daughter-in-law. Strange, when we feel embarrassed, when it is the OTHER person who should be embarrassed.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: February 06, 2018 04:50AM

Mother Who Knows Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> NormaRae, I heard that, too: If the person who baptized you was UNWORTHY of having the Holy Priesthood, then your baptism was invalid!

Not correct. As long as the person doing the baptizing has been authorized to do so (in nearly all cases by the Bishop) regardless of his worthiness, then the baptism stands forever and ever...amen.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 12:25AM

Mitt Romney's late FIL.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: February 04, 2018 01:23AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.