Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:00PM

On the advice of another poster here, I sent for the classic art self-instruction book, "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain." I even got the workbook to go with it.

Initial attempt not encouraging. You are supposed to look at yourself in a mirror and then draw a self-portrait. The creature glaring back at me from the paper would have terrorized small children on Halloween. (The real, three-dimensional me does not frighten small children at any time.)

I hope it gets better from here.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:05PM

On the bright side you have your first Halloween decoration.

My son is doing the Bob Ross happy little landscape paintings.

They seem easier than portraits.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:08PM

Edited to recant and apologize.

Chasing rainbows, butterflies and love: There is no better way to spend our free time.

I'm just jealous because I can't draw a straight line with a ruler.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 10:51PM by elderolddog.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:11PM

I recommend that book. I read it in my teens. I was taking art from a woman in the ward who was charging my mother next to nothing to teach me painting.

My teacher wanted me to start with this book saying that painting is rendering in color what needs to be first mastered in black and white (greyscale.) She wanted me to finish this book and then we would begin to paint.

I finished it and we started to paint. It was great. I was a much better at sketching and seeing things from differing points of view.

I loved the book so much that after I had only been studying with her for a year I told my mother about the book.

She said it was of a devil and immediately stopped my instruction.

It was a great year and I learned a lot. My mother is the devil in my mind. She got me lessons because her family history contains a lot of painters. But she wouldn't let this ward member "manipulate" my brain. Funny because Mormonism has to be center in doing that.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 04:20PM

I thought the first exercise was to recreate a line drawing that was upside down. I would think doing a self portrait first would be very challenging!

Edit to add, I just looked up the book online and I see that they are having you do a "pre-instruction self portrait", I guess to have something to compare to with a "post-instruction self portrait."

I think you'll be surprised how far you'll go!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2018 04:24PM by Devoted Exmo.

Posted by: spiritist ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 05:25PM

A few months ago I started drawing caricatures. I started by getting training over the net. But I have got a few books now also.

I have been trying to draw peoples' faces pretty much accurately but am now starting trying to exaggerate things. I have been doing 2 each day but went down to one now as I have been pretty busy with other goals.

It takes me 15 to 30 minutes to draw and color them with pencils. So, this is something I can do when and wherever. I have also started coloring some with pastel chalk.

Art takes time. I seem to be improving slowly but having fun anyway.

Good luck!

I

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:46PM

That's a great book. Bear in mind that self-portraits can be extremely difficult. I would recommend trying to draw something else.

Posted by: saucie ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:57PM

I was an art major in school... I love art. Anyway, someone gave me this book and I have never read it, now I'm wondering if I should.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 09:48PM

I have an art degree from the Academy of Art in San Francisco. It was a lot of work but I can definitely say it takes work...a lot of work. More work than you have to give and then some. Years go by and I'm still getting better.

Keep those first drawings you made in a drawer and keep working on your art. Eventually you will see your improvement over time. After practicing figures every day for six months you will develop drawing muscle memory. It helps you to put graceful lines down with ease. Practice, practice, practice.

Oh, and check out Proko's drawing videos on youtube.

Good luck!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.