Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 02:06PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/republicans-redefine-morality-as-whatever-trump-does/2018/01/26/904fe5f4-02cc-11e8-8acf-ad2991367d9d_story.html?utm_term=.747eaa9705d1

"Yet so strong is the pull of tribalism that we’ve reached a point where partisanship outweighs morality. Republicans aren’t approving of Trump despite his behavior; in calling him a role model, they’re approving his behavior."

The same could be said for Mormons, who backed Trump more than any other group.
"Yet so strong is the pull of tribalism that we’ve reached a point where partisanship outweighs morality. Mormons aren’t approving of Joseph Smith despite his behavior; in calling him a role model, they’re approving his behavior."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2018 03:59PM by koriwhore.

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: January 27, 2018 03:44PM

Fucking his follower's wives?
God told him to do that, otherwise he would have been struck dead!

https://youtu.be/iIdhV3839RA

Really?
Where?

Date: January 27, 2018 04:05PM

Just now for instance,

Hi mIKE,
Thank you for your interest in chatting with a member of the Church. What would you like to talk about?
mIKE 11:57 AM
Hi, I just had some questions about Joseph Smith.
Now chatting with: David and Jake
Jake 11:58 AM
Hey Mike! We'd love to talk to you about Joseph Smith. What questions do you have?
mIKE 12:00 PM
I read he had 34 wives is that true?
mIKE 12:01 PM
And 11-14 of them were married to other men. How is that moral behavior?
Jake 12:01 PM
That's a great question! Have you ever read the Gospel Topics Essay about polygamy?
Jake 12:02 PM
It's on lds.org
mIKE 12:04 PM
Yes. I've read it.
mIKE 12:05 PM
It doesn't answer the question I asked.
Where in the scriptures did God tell a man to take another man's wife as his own?
I can only find where God condemns that kind of behavior as adultery. like in D&C 132:61, the Law of the Priesthood and in the 10 Commandments.
Jake 12:07 PM
I just wanted to make sure that you had that background. So most of the wives that Joseph had were only married to him through the church (sealing). This was practiced despite some of the women being married because of their understanding of the sealing power. They believed that in order to get to heaven, they had to somehow be connected to the prophet. So women from different families would be sealed to Joseph so that their family could be saved.
mIKE 12:15 PM
She couldn't be saved without marrying him when her husband was worthy enough to serve 8 missions for the church, like Henry Jacobs?
mIKE 12:16 PM
And his wife Zina Jacobs who was 'married' to Joseph and Brigham after she married henry and never got a divorce? Is that moral? If so, how? You still have not answered my question.
mIKE 12:17 PM
What law provided a means for marrying another man's wife? Certainly not the Law of the Priesthood, which roundly condemned it as adultery. My real question is, why sing the praises of a guy who committed adultery by marrying his followers wives, according to Mormon law?
mIKE 12:18 PM
The law he claimed he got straight from God.
mIKE 12:36 PM
hello?
Jake 12:37 PM
As I said before, it was based on their understanding of the doctrine. It was new to them, and they didn't understand it in the same way that we do today. To them, it wasn't a matter of being sealed to a worthy man. It was to somehow be connected to the prophet. Her sealing to Brigham Young was based off the the Old Testament, which says that if a man dies, his wife can marry his brother to still be under the protection that marriage brought at this time. While she was still the wife of Henry Jacobs this whole time (they were never divorced because they remained together since her marriages to the prophets were not earthly marriages), and still had the protection of a husband, it is believe to have been done as more of a custom and so that she was still married to the living prophet of God.
Jake 12:37 PM
Typing...
mIKE 12:52 PM
Brigham Young had a baby with Henry's wife after sending him off to England on a mission, half way to SL. Again, was he justified in doing so?
If so, by what law, specifically?
mIKE 12:59 PM
Hello?
Jake 12:59 PM
Sorry Mike, I just like to check and make sure that the information I give you is correct before I say it. That´s why it take me a little longer to respond.
mIKE 1:02 PM
THey didn't understand that the vows they made before god to be faithful to their real husbands and not have sex withother men, meant to not have sex with other men, even if they claim God told them to have sex with them?

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 04:25PM

I wonder how long people stay in the church after volunteering to answer these questions online?

It appears to be the most hellish of callings.

Such a wasted human existence.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 27, 2018 04:15PM

I always like the part where they end the "conversation".

Date: January 27, 2018 04:45PM

IT's been over an hour of asking the same question and they still refuse to answer it, was it ever considered 'moral' for a man to 'marry' another man's wife, any man?

Jake 1:06 PM
It is a very interesting experience with what happened when Henry left on his mission to England. Zina stayed with her father at a camp at MT Pisgah. Her father got sick and died, and she had no family around, so she moved to be with Brigham Young since they were married. When Henry returned from his mission, he was married to another woman, and did not seek out Zina in anyway, and it is believed that they never spoke. It is also believed that they considered themselves divorced from each other, but no record is found because of the hostility of the government towards the early members of the church, and members did not trust in the government enough to do such processes with them. There is also records that the government in Illinois was dysfunctional at this time. The other place that the divorce could´ve reasonably taken place is Iowa, but at this time there were only three places in Iowa where divorces could've happened, and none of them were anywhere near Mt Pisgah.
Jake 1:19 PM
I did mention before that Henry and Zina were never divorced and remained together, but I thought your question was specifically about the marriages, and I meant that she did not leave Henry to be married to Joseph or Brigham, but that the marriages happened while she was still with Henry, and she was with him after the marriages as well.
mIKE 1:42 PM
Man you're good at avoiding answering questions. You still have not answered my question. Was it moral for a man, any man, to marry another man's wife, ever?
Jake 1:42 PM
Typing...

Date: January 27, 2018 05:00PM

Jake 1:49 PM
I would say it was moral. Henry was present for the sealing of Zina and Brigham. When she actually recognized herself as one of his wives (moved into the tents meant for his wives) she and Henry were separated according to the customs and abilities of the situation.
Jake 1:54 PM
I have to go now, so I will transfer you to James and Morgan.

So there you go, it was Moral for Joseph and Brigham to fuck their follower's wives, not according of any written law they received from God, which would have made God an author of lies, since his law specifically condemns their behavior as adultery, but it was moral because of "the customs and abilities of the situation"

huh. Where's that loophole in the law?

Date: January 27, 2018 05:38PM

Now chatting with: David and Morgan Mitchell
mIKE 1:58 PM
What makes it moral to bed your follower's wife?
Now chatting with: David and James and Morgan Mitchell
James 1:59 PM
We will try our best. Let me go back and read the previous conversation so I know what has already been said.
mIKE 2:06 PM
WHat made it 'moral' for Joseph and Brigham to 'marry' their follower's wives and make babies with them, when the law of God and the law of the land is and always has been quite clear on the subject?
mIKE 2:06 PM
And always outlawed that kind of behavior, polyandry.
James 2:09 PM
This is a great question. There is simply not enough historical evidence that provides a holistic view of the events that took place. Neither Henry, Joseph, nor Zina wrote down what happened and in what sequence. We believe that God will be the ultimate judge of the situation as he knows exactly what took place.
mIKE 2:12 PM
So like he said, the situation and circumstances justified it, not any law, right?
mIKE 2:12 PM
So isn't that just situational morality or moral relativism?
mIKE 2:13 PM
That would mean that God's law doesn't matter, nor does the law of the land, but if you can justify it due to the situation, then ANYthing is justifiable, even having sex with another man's wife?
mIKE 2:13 PM
is that the official position of the church?
James 2:15 PM
At that time, laws were very different and often not widely-known and understood. These events took place at a time in America's history where the Frontier's governmental infrastructure didn't have the reach it does today. And no, that is not the position of the church.
mIKE 2:30 PM
Rights. So God's laws didn't apply if they were out on the prairie?
James 2:30 PM
No, God's laws still apply there too, of course. I just don't know enough personally about the situation to make a judgement about what occurred.
James 2:31 PM
So, I don't know how we can be of further help. I'm sorry if we haven't been able to help answer this question. May I ask what got you interested in learning more about the history of our church?
mIKE 2:37 PM
My family is Mormon. I'm a 5th Generation Mormon. I'm just wondering how they all bought into it. I take it nobody revealed to them that Joseph and Brigham were banging their follower's wives, otherwise I doubt they would have called themselves Mormon.

Date: January 27, 2018 05:46PM

mIKE 2:40 PM
I'm just wondering how you sing the praises of Joseph Smith, knowing he married his followers wives?
mIKE 2:40 PM
WHen that was NEVER ok with God or the law of the land.
mIKE 2:42 PM
Always has been forbidden and always will be, in a civilized society. Of course it's wrong if you know the first thing about the law of God or the law of the land, but you can't admit it or the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. Not being able to say what's right and wrong when it's clearly wrong, seems like a shortcoming of the belief system, which prevents me form taking anything Mormons say about morality seriously.
James 2:44 PM
Maybe a way to figure out why they sing praises about it is to ask what good they see in the church.

We believe that polygamy was commanded by God at that time and in accordance with His laws. As to all of the details as to why or how, I personally do not know. I am sorry that we cannot help you with this complicated question. We do, however, believe that all answers and truth lie with God. If you turn to Him, He will help you know that truth, and that's all that matters. Mitchell and I have to get going, but we want to thank you for taking the time to come speak with us today and expressing to us your beliefs and opinions. Have a great evening and feel free to come back any time.

the chat session has ended.

Posted by: terranmaner ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 06:31PM

How hilarious I cant imagine that people on the other end of these conversations last long in that calling. So many hurting people and no programs offered to them.

Date: February 14, 2018 06:52PM

terranmaner Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> How hilarious I cant imagine that people on the
> other end of these conversations last long in that
> calling. So many hurting people and no programs
> offered to them.

Being forced to defend absurdities tends to inoculate them against anything they perceive as a threat to their wirld view. You can see the herd mentality and fight or flight instinct kick in when they perceive a threat, such as suggesting the guy whose praises they sing, being revealed as a kiddie rapist.
Instead of defending pedophilia they just blame God, by claiming He commanded it, when according to their own law, God commanded just the opposite.
Its ironic that they blame God for commsnding Joseph to rape his followers wives and kids.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.