Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: hayduke ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 08:31PM

They've come after my kids again and I am pissed. Ready to swear at a goodie two shoes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 08:54PM

Is there a trusted ward member or trusted friend that may know the bishops name?

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 09:47PM

I just used the online white pages to search for the business "lds church" and added my city and state to narrow the search. A list of the wards came up, and when I clicked one, it listed the phone number for the bishop's office. If you call on most any evening but Monday, I'm guessing you'll find a bishop there or someone who can give you info on how to find him.

I'm sorry you have to deal with them coming after your kids. In the inimitable words of Pink Floyd, "Hey! Mormons! Leave our kids alone." Okay, so I took a few liberties with the lyrics.

Posted by: msp ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 09:57PM

Here's a quick way to do it. Go to http://www.lds.org/maps and search for your area (you can put in an address, city, or the name of the ward or stake you're in). Hit search, and select the appropriate result from the list on the left. After doing so, you'll be able to see a last name and a contact phone number for the bishop of that ward (also on the left side of the screen). Hope that helps!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 09:57PM by msp.

Posted by: Hayduke (not logged in) ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 10:59PM

Thanks, all. That map page wants me to log in. I may have to call the offices tomorrow. Grrrr

Date: January 26, 2014 11:11PM

Oh really? That's odd, since I can use it without logging in. That's really frustrating, I'm sorry. I hope you can set things straight and get things sorted out asap. Give it to 'em, hayduke!

Date: January 26, 2014 11:13PM

If you have no objections to posting the ward name here, I'd be more than happy to look it up for you, if you'd rather do that.

Date: January 27, 2014 12:06AM

Thanks for the offer, but I don't know the ward name, I've never attended it. I think that I would have to use an address.

Date: January 27, 2014 11:54AM

I tried lds.maps this morning, it worked, I have a name. Now, to a phone...

Date: January 27, 2014 12:13PM

That's wonderful! I'm so happy to hear that :) Now good luck and I hope they leave your kids alone!

Posted by: verilyverily ( )
Date: January 26, 2014 11:22PM

Am I just being mean or does anyone else see a serious plus in having contact info on all of these bishops?
Group email letting them ALL know what we stand for and that we are going to be REVERSE MISHIES?
Perhaps we tell them exactly why we left and that we don't like their tactics of continually going people's kids and harassing people. Anyone?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 12:27AM

Why not start a facebook page called "Underbelly - XX Ward, XX Stake"

Like Donna Banta's Ward Gossip Blog.

Anagrammy

Posted by: notamormon ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 04:54PM

anagrammy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why not start a facebook page called "Underbelly -
> XX Ward, XX Stake"
>
> Like Donna Banta's Ward Gossip Blog.
>
>
> Anagrammy

Great blog. LOL

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 11:26AM

without logging in and was able to find the "ward" of which I'd be a part were I a Mor(m)on. I'm a nevermo. Turns out it's not the location I'm most familiar with.

The funnier thing is that the nearest "temple" is not in Atlanta proper but in Sandy Springs.

Date: January 27, 2014 02:36PM

So, no one answered my phone call. I have found home and work contacts. Is there any reason I can't use this information to send letters and emails to get my family's name off the church contact lists?

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 02:50PM

You don't need your Bishop's information to resign, if that's what you're asking. (See http://www.exmormon.org/remove.htm HQ's membership e-mail is msr-confrec@ldschurch.org, there's a example e-mail at the link, all the instructions are there as well as what to expect and what letter you'll recieve and what they mean)

If you just want to ask them to stop contacting you, even if you ask them to stop, it is very unlikely to do any good. Some have found success with it, others have found that contacting them to say, "leave me alone", has put them on the Bishop's radar and they get contacted more. There is no official "do not contact list" some wards informally maintain something like that others do not. Either way, unless you resign, your name will be on the ward roster and will be fair game to anyone who wants to drop off cookies and invite your kids to activities.

Resigning seems to be the safest bet, your name would be taken off the ward list officially. Though be aware that that too has had mixed results for many. The church is terrible at keeping records. For example, a year after I received my official "You're out" letter, the missionaries showed up at my door and asked for me by name based on an old ward list that they never threw out. (at least that's what I was told.)

So, it kind of depends on what you want.

Date: January 27, 2014 10:40PM

I have resigned, a year ago. I despise that they come to my house and talk to my kids without my knowledge. I want to make sure the bishop knows that I am not happy about it. I'm not staying silent or playing nice guy anymore.

Posted by: vh65 ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 02:46PM

Hay duke when the Mormons showed up at my door I tried sending a letter to the ward building requesting no contact, but it was not received (or at least they said that). When they returned I gave them a copy and I got agreement from whoever showed up and later from the bishop. No contact has been attempted since (6 months). It's really infuriating but these people have been told it is their job to save us and our kids, and they just trying to be good Mormons. Hopefully you can get them to back off without being nasty. I also shared a little info on Joseph Smith's polygamy with my daughter. Anyone who tries converting her will certainly get an unexpected earful. You might consider a bit of "anti-Mormon vaccine" for your kids if you haven't already...

I believe that you are supposed to send any resignation letters to the bishop's home address, so I think that is your best bet for "no contact" requests as well

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 02:48PM by vh65.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 02:52PM

Call 801-240-3500, or toll-free from outside Utah 800-453-3860, extension 23500, give the address, and ask for the name and address of the bishop in whose ward the address is. You may also be able to find his name and address in the telephone directory or by telephoning any ward in the town.

Posted by: lumanwalters ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 03:03PM

what do you have against logging onto LDS.ORG? do they track that or something ?

Date: January 27, 2014 10:41PM

I am certain that website is tracked.

Posted by: paulsal ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 04:25PM

check the obituaries and maybe he is listed as doing the service. that is how I did it or fell into it

Posted by: paulsal ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 04:40PM

if you really want to find out just show up at the meeting time and take him aside and straighten him out I would

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: January 27, 2014 10:48PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2014 10:52PM by steve benson.

Posted by: Michelle Allnan ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 09:47PM

Posted by: Anonymous1234 ( )
Date: February 13, 2018 10:34PM

From within Utah: 1-800-662-3756
From Outside of Utah: 1-800-453-3860
Ask for "Maps and Boundries" when you call.
Give them a neighbor's address to keep yourself off of their radar.
Ask who the Bishop is and for his phone number. They will give you both.

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 03:52PM

Go to the (damn) church.
He ought to be there (the square)!

M@t

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 09:06PM

I hadn't been to church in more than 20 years and I had moved around the country a few times, so when I wanted to resign I had no idea what ward I was supposedly in. The phone book was no help. So I called the closest mission HQ and a helpful missionary gave me the necessary info.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 14, 2018 09:33PM

Go here;
https://www.lds.org/maps/meetinghouses/

Punch in an address that is relevant to the area. It brings up a few wards. Click on the ward and it shows the bishop. No log in required.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.