Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Ohdeargoodness nli ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:03PM

Hi all,

Today we're starting a five day cross country drive from Cali to Chicago. I'm usually pretty fearless, but I've just crossed that threshold into adulthood where I realize I'm not invincible and that bad and tragic things can happen to me and not just others.

So, I'm struggling with some fear and anxiety. We're convoying with my 60+ mom who's not the best driver and our three pets. DH will join us en route.

Any advice for keeping safe and being smart on the roads would be greatly appreciated.

We're driving Las Vegas to SLC then through Wyoming, Nebraska, Iowa and Illinois. Anybody in those parts who can give a weather update would be great too. :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:10PM

No advice from spring-has-sprung Southern California...

...but lots of wishes for a smooth, unfrozen, safe and happy journey for all of you (plus a special shout out for your pets)!!!

:D

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:13PM

Get a Sirius radio!

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:34PM

Have a safe trip. For Nebraska, check out this link.
http://www.511.nebraska.gov/

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:45PM

Driving on I-80 across Wyoming can be very, very, ugly in a snowstorm, even for an experienced snow driver. There's a few passes that close regularly as well as I-80 due to ice. Keep an eye on the weather and stay put an extra day, if you have to , to avoid the storm. Don't drive at night, if you slide off, they may not find you for a day. Why is 60+, not so good of a driver, driving?

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 04:45PM

My mom sustained two closed head injuries about a decade ago and has never fully recovered. She also has diabetic neuropathy so feeling the pedals is never a sure thing.

Posted by: OP ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 04:47PM

Thanks everyone. Great advice all around. I'm not exactly sure where we're driving, so I've forwarded this thread to DH.

Thanks again!

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 05:12PM

If your route takes you through Kearney Ne you might be able to see the beginnings of the Sandhill crane migration. Its a bit too early right now but maybe on your return.
http://rowe.audubon.org/

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:05PM

No, I'm not asking why she has driving issues, I'm asking why is SHE driving? Isn't anyone else licensed? I sure wouldn't do this in the winter, This sounds like another potential Willie and Martin deal.

Date: February 15, 2018 02:15AM

Sorry, I totally misread that (after the concussion, IIRC).

DH is licensed, but couldn’t take much time off to help us drive. He’s a very conscientious employee, not because he puts work first, but because he’s the main provider for three adults and three dogs. He’s a good guy.

That’s it for family going east. If only the dogs could drive... :)

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:52PM

Is any of your route involve Route 66? That's supposed to be a scenic picnic of a drive.

Other than that, not sure. The mid-west has had a heavy snow only a couple of days ago. Hope it eases up in time for your travel.

If it were me, I'd steer south of the snow belt/s. I believe Route 66 may do that for you, but check and double check your driving route/s of where you're going and maybe plan your trip on the weather updates. Avoid the messiest weather by all means.

Posted by: numbersRus ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 05:44PM

Route 66 is now essentially I-40 to Oklahoma City, then I-44 to St Louis, and I-55 to Chicago, if I recall correctly. There are sections of the old 66 road that are still intact so if you get off the Interstate Highway at various places you can see some of the older roadside attractions, motels and restaurants that have been restored/preserved.

That series of Interstates may be the fastest route, and stays further south longer to potentially avoid winter weather issues (though I-40 sees its share of winter weather in Feb), but the OP is taking I-80 because they are meeting up with others??

Posted by: cl2notloggedin ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 03:53PM

I drove to and from Colorado from Utah 6 years ago to live with my boyfriend once a month. Drove some of the worst roads ever and I've lived in Utah all my life. If it isn't snowing, then if it is blowing, stay put. Check road conditions regularly. I even saw cops off the roads.

Just make sure your phones are charged. Call your husband before you leave each city in those states where you drive for a long time between towns.

Date: February 11, 2018 03:55PM

Wyoming has some really bad driving conditions in winter.

I'd avoid that far north if I were you. (Do I sound like a munchkin telling Dorothy to beware the Forest a little?!)

Seriously, the snow conditions in Wyoming are nothing to sneeze at this time of year.

Try to go below the snow belt/s if at all possible.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 07:30PM

Agree. I wouldn't cross Wyoming in the winter. I would opt to stay south as long as possible. Apart from that, limit driving to no more than eight hours a day.

Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 04:04PM

Be prepared for absolute (and therefor dangerous) boredom across Nebraska and Kansas. Take plenty of breaks, including breaks to simply sleep.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 04:59PM

Top off your gas regularly

Take frequent stretch/bathroom breaks.

Keep water and blankets in your car.

A can of fix a flat is worth its weight in gold.

Posted by: Tall Man, Short Hair ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 05:18PM

Avoid picking up hitchhikers near exits for correctional institutions.

Date: February 11, 2018 09:36PM

And beware the wild deer, elk, and antelope known to populate the Wyoming corridor. Crossing highways is what they do.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:43PM

Tall Man, Short Hair Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Avoid picking up hitchhikers near exits for
> correctional institutions.

LOLOLOLOL Ain't that the truth!

Date: February 11, 2018 05:44PM

If you're still planning on driving through Wyoming, chains are a requirement at the higher altitudes (mountain peak/passes.) Don't get caught on one of those windy canyon highways without your chains on all your tires!

It's the law going through SLC via Hwy 89 through Wyoming Pass that corners Utah and crosses over into the other states you're traveling through.

It's rough driving in winter. If you aren't used to it, even with the chains on your tires, consider a less stressful route.

Just my "two cents."

The Malad Pass in Idaho requires chains in winter. And so does the one between Garden City, Utah, and Afton, Wyoming. I'm sure there are others. Those are the only two I'm aware of as I write this.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2018 05:51PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 06:48PM

Um, chains are required, during a storm, if you are driving a tractor-trailer.

Chains or snow tires or AWD may be required during a bad storm. Those have been in extreme short supply in WY this winter. If you happen to get caught in a serious storm (unlikely this year, but not impossible) finding a motel early and waiting until the next morning to continue the trip will generally solve the problem.

I-80 through the Medicine Bow Mountains west of Laramie is often closed during bad weather. It goes up and over the mountains. There is a well-marked detour that takes you on a bit of a loop north of the mountains, staying at low altitudes.

I've driven that route (or farther north, on I-90/94) around 60 times (usually twice a winter). I got caught in really bad weather 3 times. I had chains for about 6 years, used them once, and even then, probably didn't need to. When I changed vehicles, the chains didn't fit the new one, and it didn't seem worth the money to get a new set. That was about 20 years ago. Haven't missed them.

Front wheel drive and decent tires will get you through most snow, particularly on interstates, which are well plowed. Snow tires help some, as does AWD, but simply slowing down will keep you out of most trouble.

Freezing rain was what always scared me. Snow, especially in really cold temps, is not all that slippery. Black ice is nasty.

Oh, and no passes require chains in good weather, even for trucks. If you are not used to driving in snow, and the flashing lights are on by the "chains required when flashing" sign, find a motel and watch tv. Life will be better the next day.

Date: February 11, 2018 08:10PM

Thanks for clarifying from a local traveler.

Also, the winding, mountain canyon road of Hwy 89 connecting Logan to Garden City is treacherous in good weather. On icy, snowy roads I can't begin to imagine how difficult a climb that would be.

My ancestors used to traverse that on horse and buggy, before there were automobiles. Some of my ancestors helped pave the highway that's there now. It is maybe one of the worst drives I've been on in springtime in memory (It's a beautiful road trip, but a badass drive.) I swore I wouldn't drive that route again unless it is an emergency.

In wintertime that one would definitely need chains if snow. Most of the wintertime there it is snowy.

Posted by: richardthebad (not logged in) ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 08:46PM

Yes! That northern detour exits at Walcott Junction (the exit to the south goes to Saratoga, but you want to go north) and takes you through Medicine Bow. Yes, that Medicine Bow, with the "Virginian" Hotel. If the wind, trucks, etc. are getting on your nerves, it's worth the longer route.

Also, don't be afraid to stop at a WYDOT shop along your route if you are worried about road conditions. The person at the front desk will gladly look up road conditions, etc. And you can use their restroom if you need. I've done it many times.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 07:45PM

Buy gas when you're gauge dips below 1/2. Look for a hotel before dark.

Date: February 11, 2018 08:33PM

I drive I-80 across Wyoming all the time. I've lived here for 25 years and my work takes me across the State all the time. Yes, if it is snowy it can be nasty (the area from Elk Mountain through Arlington isn't called the "Snow Chi Min Trail" for nothing). But if the weather is clear it isn't bad. Only one pass over the Laramie Range. Watch for wind and trucks. There are a lot of trucks. Gas up in the larger towns, it's cheaper, and some of the "towns" shown on the map don't actually have services.

The Bonzai in Rock Springs has surprisingly good sushi. As well as Chinese staples. I know, sushi in Wyoming? Trust me, it works. Rose's Lariat in Rawlins has the best green chili north of Taos. Probably because the owner, and his family, are from Santa Fe.

And, of course, every interstate turnoff in an actual town has all the same places as every other turnoff across America (McDonalds, Burger King, KFC, Wendy's blah, blah, blah).

Oh, and if you find yourself in Winnemucca, Martins has great Basque food, served family style. Do not stay in Battle Mountain if you have any choice in the matter.

Date: February 11, 2018 09:31PM

Me thinks if they find themselves in Winnemucca, they've taken a wrong turn.

Date: February 11, 2018 09:43PM

Not if they're coming across I-80.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 09:30PM

You can check prices in the area, then hit "directions" and find it. Prices are posted by members. If you register and set up a username, you can post prices and help other drivers save on gas. You can also rate and comment on stations (good or bad coffee, restrooms, lighting, etc.)

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: February 11, 2018 09:33PM

When I'd travel with the kids when they were little, we'd leave early, early in the morning (4:00am) and they'd sleep and loll around til about 8:00, then we'd do a nice, leisurely McD's breakfast, then letting them run around outside, then back in the vehicle until about 1pm, when we check into a motel with a pool. I'd sleep while my second wife would watch the kids. then early dinner and I'd try to sack out again, til 3:00am and then off we'd go again.

It made it easy for me (who like most men want to drive 20 hours, sleep 4, and then do it again) AND the kids.

Five days to Chicago??? All the guys here can tell you stories of going coast to coast in 2.5, 3 days, tops...

Posted by: Speed Demon (nli) ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 05:57PM

Yes, Los Angeles to Charleston, SC (and vice versa) many times in three days, and that was when the speed limit was 55. I'd drive pretty long days though.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 06:18PM

Depending on your budget, consider a cheap styrofoam cooler, and fill it with sandwich stuff and fruit. If you're ambitious, one person can make sandwiches while the other drives, stopping only for fuel and restrooms. Pretty demanding, but it can be done. When I drive long distances alone, I get a loaf of quality bread, a jar of peanut butter and some jams, and subsist on that for a day or two.

If you have firearms, make sure they're unloaded and locked in a strong case, at the bottom of everything. You do not have to answer any questions about that item, or open it up for a trooper, in the remote (un)likelihood that it comes to his attention.

Before the trip, change your oil and have the mechanic check tires for things like uneven tread or bulges, tire pressure, battery, brakes and all your fluids. "Ounce of prevention..."

Posted by: samwitch ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 02:52PM

I have done this drive several times! I agree with other posters: drive below the snow. I've run into surprise severe snowstorms in WY as late as mid-May.

Besides chains, make sure each vehicle has extra blankets, water, non-perishable snacks, wipes, a couple towels and trash bags, emergency flashlights, a first-aid kit, pain reliever, and (super important) car chargers and extra power sticks for the phones.

You'll go through large stretches of nothingness where you won't have cell signal, so prep your games, music, and navigation with that in mind. An old-school atlas (Walmart, less than $10) is not a bad idea for when your GPS fades into the ether or kids are bored. We always print out Google Map directions and put them in a folder,too.

For pets, calming collars are a must-have; you can get them at pet stores like PetSmart and PetCo.

Eat at Waffle House and Runza, and stop at your choice of many quirky Midwestern museums if you have time. S/O to the Pony Express Museum in Gothenburg, NE -- a fun stop!

Be safe and have fun!

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 05:26PM

You might like to check the various state highway conditions web sites as you go on your trip:

There are two major ones for every state:

CAIFORNIA:

http://www.highwayconditions.com/ca/
https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/trafficinfo/ca.htm

For the other states just change the two letters (ca) in the above web address to the state you want.

Nevada: nv
Utah: ut
Wyoming: wy
Nebraska: ne
Iowa: ia
Illinois: il

Posted by: Rameumptom ( )
Date: February 12, 2018 10:35PM

I was caught in a winter storm while crossing Wyoming several years ago. Scariest moments of my life. Even if it is just light snow, it is impossible to see with the high winds. Pack extra blankets, flashlight and batteries. Keep an extra bottle of wiper fluid in the car. Even if it isn't snowing, the cars in front of you can kick up muddy spray from an earlier storm.

Date: February 15, 2018 02:10AM

Thanks, everybody.

Sorry I stopped responding to all your great advice. I made a very inaccurate calculation re: moving a large baker’s rack filled with full plastic containers and it ended up falling on me, giving me a concussion in the process as well as some pretty unbearable muscle sprains.

I’m feeling almost back to normal. Stopped at the LDS hospital in SLC because I was still feeling foggy 5+ days after the accident and my pain had spiked while driving to a 8.5.

They didn’t do much for the pain (fair enough, I know there’s a huge opioid crisis there), but guess what I was given for a “muscle relaxant” which was very much needed. Valium. VALIUM? There’s a lot of other actual muscle relaxants that would work fine... jeez... only in Utard.

Anyways, we made it to Cheyenne safely but my mom woke up with severe pain in her leg and we think she was well on her way to throwing a clot, despite wearing anti-embolism stockings. Aspirin and resting all day have paid off.

DH is slowly learning he can’t push us as hard as he has been. It’s not an abusive tenedecy; he just has nearly perfect health and doesn’t understand what it’s like to have significant health challenges.

So, he’s changed our itinerary to go through SD, Iowa, Illinois and then on to Milwaukee. We’re only doing 250 miles a day, which is a good pace for my poor mother and concussed Ohdeargoodness.

As for you studs that have gone coast to coast in 2.5 days, I’m pretty sure I could accomplish that only with the help of aphetamines (not that I’ve ever tried). I’ve never been hardy (almost stillborn, born with tumors, that pretty much set the pace for me - oh well!).

On the bright side, our morale is good. I’ve been able to stay very positive and optimistic about getting to our new home. I’m very grateful for that. If I let this get me down, I think I’d probably have a nervous breakdown.

Anywho, thank you guys. You’re all awesome and I’m always so appreciative to have access to such a wide and varied pool of knowledge and wisdom!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 15, 2018 08:07AM

Everyone drives better when they're alert and rested. Don't stay on the road too long and take regular breaks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.