Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Anarky ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 08:50PM

Sorry for this really vain, irrelevant, random rant, but I just need someone to talk to.

I used to wash my hair once a week, but it was too dry and kept breaking. So I moved to once every two weeks and used lots of product. It's definitely softer, but still dry and tangled.

I've stopped using shampoo altogether and only wash w/ shampoo once a month and that's not helping. I've tried loads and loads of products, but nothing works.

I just want long, healthy hair so I can feel more confident at work but it's always a mess. I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:01PM

Just wash your hair every 6 months. It will be soft and silky.

Date: March 04, 2018 09:25PM

Oh wow, I don't think I could do that. A month is as long as I can go, or it would get too greasy and smelly. Especially if I'm exercising.

Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:01PM

My guess would be that you are eating far too many "bad" fats (hydrogenated stuff, deep-fried stuff, perhaps too many dairy fats, etc.)...

...and practically none (or definitely not ENOUGH) of the "good" fats (olive oil, avocadoes, fish oil as both fish itself, and also as fish oil, almonds and Brazil nuts, etc.).

Also: if you aren't already taking a good multi-vitamin/mineral/other necessary nutrients (such as antioxidants, sea vegetables, etc.) every day, you need to start taking a good one every day (which could be a packet of several different pills and capsules). GNC has what they call "Vitapaks," which are daily packets of several different supplements designed to accommodate both gender needs, and also the changing needs of different age categories, but I'm pretty sure that you can probably find something similar at Vitamin Shoppe, Vitamin World, grocery stores like Whole Foods and Sprout's, or your local health food store.

From your description, it sounds like your hair is basically "starving to 'death'."

Google: daily nutrients for healthy hair, and read at least a dozen of the returns which come up. (Some of them are far more informative than others.) You will learn not only "what" you need to consume for good hair, but also the "whys" behind what you [obviously] are in need of when it comes to specific foods and nutrients (and what you need to either decrease from your diet, or eliminate, from what your daily diet has been up to now).

P.S. If you are not drinking distilled water, it is available at any grocery store, and you need to drink several glasses a day. If you are dehydrated (whether you think you are or not), nothing else is going to work properly until you get your body hydration level within an acceptable range. When it comes to hydration (assuming you are not presently in a desert dying of dehydration), WATER (specifically: distilled water) is what you need here, and coffee/tea/soft drinks/juices (etc.) do not count as [in this particular sense] "water."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 09:17PM by Tevai.

Date: March 04, 2018 09:27PM

Hi Tevai,

Thank you for this really helpful info! I really appreciate it.
I definitely haven't been eating as healthy as I should. I've been stressed lately because of family/church/work/life, and I've been binging on a lot of sugar and packaged food. I used to eat healthy, but I get into these slumps (partly due to my depression) where I don't take care of myself very well. I really need to drink more water, so thanks for that suggestion.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:28PM

You might want to get your thyroid checked too. It really affects your hair if it's off kilter.

Posted by: FTG ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:30PM

Use a children's shampoo. It doesn't strip out the oils and will leave your hair soft but not greasy.

Posted by: relievedtolearn ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 09:59PM

What Tevai said above, and the thyroid suggestion, but try Tevai's first.

When you have stress, you use up B vitamins faster---and it's also, as you said, easy to slip into sloppy eating habits, which add to the stress. You said you are struggling with depression too---and that makes it harder to care about eating right, or make the effort.

Have you a friend you could have help you shop and check with you to see if you are fixing food and eating, taking vitamins, drinking?

Also, one of the most effective and inexpensive anti-depressants, although again, motivation is a problem, so a friend to do it with would help (even a dog) is walking or other aerobic exercise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 10:04PM by relievedtolearn.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: March 04, 2018 10:00PM

Maybe try using a little "leave in" conditioner after your hair wash. Not sure what kinds or quality of products you have tried.

Also keep the ends trimmed often. Just trimming a quarter inch or less can keep dry ends from splitting and make the hair look heathier.

Not everyone has thick luxurious hair that grows long well.

Good luck!

PS. I'm sure your hair already looks beautiful as it is!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/04/2018 10:02PM by dagny.

Posted by: Elyse ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 12:08AM

Try Pantene moisturizing shampoo & conditioner.

After towel drying , add Infusium 24 as a leave-in .

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 12:55AM

Some people don't wash their hair at all -- they clean it with oil.

Try the Nexxus Therappe/Humectress line. Several companies make conditioner that is suitable for leaving in the hair (i.e. John Frieda Frizz Ease "Secret Weapon.") After I wash my hair (and it is still damp-to-wet,) I put a small dab of conditioner on the palm of my hand, mix it with water, and use it to smooth down my hair. I might do this several times. Comb it through. If you use a light enough touch, it will smooth down the frizzies without weighing your hair down.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/05/2018 01:14AM by summer.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 05, 2018 03:42AM

I haven't heard of anyone before not shampooing regularly to maintain a clean and well managed style for your face and physique.

Have you consulted with your hair stylist or see a Trichologist ie, a doctor who treats the scalp and hair to make sure it isn't serious?

I like a variety of shampoo and conditioner to use on my hair. I've read it's healthy to change them around occasionally for healthier hair - something about not using the same chemical formulation over and over is better for the hair.

Products that moisturize without leaving oily residue are what I prefer. Wash as often as needed to maintain cleanliness and for the hair to lay right.

Hair attracts germs. Shampooing often just makes sense to me to keep germs at bay. It doesn't have to be every day. But going weeks or months without it seems like poor hygiene to me.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.