Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 12:20AM

Best film of 2017 ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: saucie (nli) ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 12:23AM

Have you seen it ????

I'm going back and forth about seeing it or not.

I haven't decided yet.

Posted by: praydude ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 02:23AM

I saw it ant it was awesome! It is a fairy tale so take it as such. A retelling of the creature from the black lagoon. Guillermo is a Huge H.P. Lovecraft fan and it shows in this film, though, to be clear, Lovecraft was never this good. It is worth the price of admission.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 02:43AM

"Creature From the Black Lagoon" meets "Beauty and the Beast". Or mute girl meets "Splash".

Meh, it was…O.K. Technically very well done, but predictable and nothing all that special. My gal couldn’t believe how much it sucked. I wouldn’t go THAT far…it was alright. Sally Hawkins (mute girl) was outstanding. Richard Jenkins was nominated for Best Supporting Actor but I felt that Michael Shannon gave a better performance. Haven’t figured out why Octavia Spencer was nominated for Best Supporting Actress (ESPECIALLY over Emma Stone in “Battle of the Sexes” or Holly Hunter in “The Big Sick”)…nothing special or outstanding in her performance.

For me, of the Best Picture nominees, The Shape of Water would rank in the lower half of the films. Hell, I thought “I, Tonya” and “The Big Sick” were better and they weren’t even nominated.

My favorite picture though was “Wind River”. Unfortunately it was a Weinstein Company production and therefore got no love.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 09:00AM

"Mute woman falls in love with a fish monster"

Sounds like the basis for a new religion. Are there gold Plates involved?

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:45AM

Fred and Ginger, while we're at it.

Date: March 06, 2018 11:02AM

Mary Ann and Ginger, while we're at it.

Posted by: ziller ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 11:19AM

in on beastiality thred ~

wait ~ wut ? ~

Date: March 08, 2018 12:10AM

cod coitus

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 12:11PM

Loved it.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 05:02PM

she did. He had a naturally ribbed cock.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 05:07PM

What is "reason CA girl doesn't watch the Oscars any more."

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 06:06PM

Talk about an overrated film . If I want fish love stories I'll get out The Incredible Mr Limpett. is Hollywood this hard up for Best Picture ?

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 06:29PM

So, I'm guessing no sparkling repartee? Witty dialogue? Snappy come-backs?

Posted by: touchstone ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 06:37PM

This "fish out of water" tale had strong resonances for all the various folks who are "othered" by the over-culture: immigrant, black, gay, disabled, etc. It was an important flip on the tale of the rapacious monster grabbing the white woman who then must be rescued by the white men-- which had also been a coded story with its own set of values: racist, colonialist values.
The plot was astonishingly simple, predictable, as is so often the case in a fairy-tale or romance. Visually this thing was gorgeous.
For an intelligent analysis, I recommend Lindsay Ellis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YesMWAxqJ60

Posted by: xxMMMooo ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 07:17PM

Yeah basically pure anti-white, anti-cishet-male propaganda, that's why it won the award.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 06:47PM

He was actually a fish god. There is a difference between a fisher of women and a fish man.

Posted by: PollyDee ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 07:02PM

There are certain types of movies that I deem unworthy of the high cost of theater tickets. This should have been one of them. I don't think this movie should have even been nominated for Best Picture, much less win! Nobody will ever re-watch it.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 08:13PM

It.was.stupid.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 09:23PM

Posted by: caffiend: "I miss...Fred and Ginger, while we're at it".

P: I have read Fred's book, lots of pictures, and enjoyed it. And right now I am reading Ginger's biography---very much enjoining it.

Fred said he took a morning walk every day (living in Beverly Hills, as I remember it), to get a bowl of soup at the local deli. That was his main meal of the day. No wonder he stayed so slim.

After he retired, he got on his grandson's(?) skateboard, and fell down and broke his (leg?)---so his first injury, career-wise--came after he had retired.

Posted by: Human ( )
Date: March 06, 2018 10:14PM

Will see it some time...

3Billboards was effin’ Excellent.

Posted by: Heartbroken ( )
Date: March 07, 2018 01:25PM

I didn't like it. The acting was superb but the violence was unnecessary - especially when the cat was eaten. Why was it necessary? I saw a lot of similarities between "The Shape of Water" and "Amelie" in the beginning of the movie: quirky apartment; oddball painter neighbor; old clip of tap dancing, etc. The actress even had an Amelie haircut.

The movie could have been so much better than it was. At the end of the movie a woman passing my friend and I in the theater said: "That won all the academy awards?" I think many people shared her opinion.

Posted by: Pooped ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 01:56AM

I was excited to see this movie. As a child I was really into the "The Creature" and even had a plastic replica statue I played with a lot. It was the fantasy of a half man, half fish that could live underwater (like a mermaid) that was fun to imagine. This movie seemed to be more about the erotic than the romantic. It was more like a live action cartoon than a movie. I could see way ahead that the girl had gills. It would have been more romantic to see the couple under water in the sea, or even a very large, blue, aquarium tank, together swimming (like the old Tarzan movies with Jane) and cavorting than simply humping in an old dirty bathroom that leaked.

My dad and I used to go to Frankenstein and Dracula movies together and they were classy. They were sexy yet subtle. I couldn't see taking my child with me to see this movie. Maybe more for the repeated violence and language than the sex because the sex wasn't all that graphic. I think they did it better in the movies back in the 30's and they were black and white! I'll make one exception. Frank Langella as Dracula. Now that movie was hot!

The costume on the creature was very good and the sets and decorations were great. But for some reason the movie left me disappointed. Maybe the story was too predictable or I'd heard too much about it before hand but it somehow fell flat and just left me cold.

As I left the theater I realized the movie was rated R so I wouldn't be running into any of my former TBM shunning friends. They wouldn't be caught dead in an R rated movie! Yay!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: March 08, 2018 08:07AM

Fish Guy wasn't near the monster Military-Industrial Complex Cold Warrior Guy was. It was basically an adult fairy tale, and bordered on being a bit cartoonish, as did Three Billboards.

Phantom Thread confused me, though I must admit, the dresses and the details of making them were sumptuous, though I normally have zero interest in high fashion. It was a three way emotional wrestling match that I'm not sure who won. Nobody? Everybody?

Ladybird was my personal favorite. The dad was a total mensch and the daughter a talented survivor.

Posted by: Say What??? ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 01:49AM

I haven't seen it and don't want to. "Fish Man" looks like a reptilian demon.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 08:57AM

It'll be on my SAT TV movie package some time this year.

Posted by: Jersey Girl ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 10:02AM

Sounds repulsive, not romantic. Did not see it and will not. What I did see in the clips at the Oscars and ads for the film just seemed really tacky, especially the old Creature From the Black Lagoon monster suit. Certainly they could do better than that today with CGI. Also anything where cats or dogs or other animals are senselessly hurt is a movie I would walk out on at that point, no matter what its other merits.

I think it a huge stretch to take this picture as a metaphor for accepting minorities...it is just another ugly monster movie. Should not have won.

Posted by: MOI ( )
Date: March 09, 2018 10:19AM

The Hollywood shit machine now cranking out beastiality to go along with their push for pedophelia. Sick bastards. SO glad I'm not sucked into the fray of fawning over, and adoring any of these goddamn, useless STAR assholes. There are only a few I admire, and they're not of the Meryl Creep crowd.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.