Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 07:12AM

"Research shows that using a voodoo doll of your boss can improve your mood ...

Have you ever had the urge to stick a pin in your boss? If so, it turns out you’re not alone. A team of researchers from the Lazaridis School of Business and Economics at Wilfrid Laurier University discovered that employees who were given the opportunity to stick pins into a voodoo doll of their boss experienced a better mood and improved cognition as a result.

The findings, which were published in The Leadership Quarterly, were based on 229 workers in North America. These employees were given the opportunity to unleash some pent-up frustration against their boss with the help of an online voodoo program from Dumb.com. With the program, you can create an effigy of your boss and give it a name, and then proceed to stick it with pins, burn it with a candle or even pinch it with a screwdriver.

Every time you inflict some abuse on this little fellow, he gets sad and upset. If you have your volume up, you can also hear him cry out in pain.

Although it sounds a bit violent, the researchers report that using the voodoo doll actually reduced feelings of aggression in employees. After sticking pins in the voodoo doll, these workers reported that they felt lower levels of hostility towards their boss, as well as lower levels of injustice and bitterness.

In other words, sticking pins in the voodoo doll seemed to have help them work out some of their aggression and let it go in a harmless manner. Additionally, the researchers also found that study participants performed better on cognition tests after unleashing their anger on the voodoo doll."

So what are you out to lose besides some pent up frustration? Just don't do it while at your desk, or sitting across from your boss in a board meeting. ;-)

https://www.wkbw.com/news/research-shows-that-using-a-voodoo-doll-of-your-boss-can-improve-your-mood

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:31AM

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 08:44AM

LDS doll. In the fire

Date: March 16, 2018 09:38AM

I have a "higher up" at work who I've seen do this kind of stuff to her "higher ups" while at work. She has made balloons in effigy of people then popped them while screaming their name at them laced with profanity.

So ... it gave me some satisfaction to try it out this morning on the free app.

It works. I feel better already, and didn't need to "out" myself.

;-)

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 10:58AM

I sense a market (among both mormons and ex-mormons, maybe?) for "Prophet Voodoo Dolls."

Hmm...

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 11:26AM

I’d buy a Dallin piñata.

Posted by: paisley70 ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 05:44PM

I have replicas of the Joseph and Hyrum Smith death masks. I'm heading to the garage right now to drill holes in their heads.

I bet it feels like beating a dead horse, but it is the therapy we are after, right?

Posted by: moremany ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 09:52PM

Then dunk them under water, will ya'! - for a long time - baptise the HELL out of them. Then throw them in the freezer... and then the fire. And then back to the train tracks!

Use them as cannon balls... and switch their eyes with their balls (never mind; they have neither). Don't bother. But don't forget to Tar and Feather them while you're at it.

Want to SCARE THE HELL OUT OF THEM? Take them to the temple or a chapel, to PAY TITHING, be bishop pricked interviewed and to not so fast & testicle meeting and to talk to the missionaries, (as converts).

M@t

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: March 16, 2018 06:03PM

Luckily, my boss or any of my immediate co-workers are the last people I'd want a voodoo doll of. Although, I've had many jobs where that wasn't the case. I used to have a voodoo doll app, many moons ago, that had accessories like pins, matches, knives, etc. you could use to inflict damage on it or something. But right now I'm trying to get the evil influences OUT of my life. I don't need to go playing around with anything that might hinder that goal, ifyaknowwhatImean.

Date: March 17, 2018 08:34AM

You remind me that voodoo is considered a form of the occult, and was used as "black magic" or rather still is.

Is it a game or not, ie, the online app with the pins, matches, etc? The one I found online has that and pliers, no knives.

It reminded me of the childhood game, Operation. Only of course it's goofier than that, and doesn't promote healing of the inflicted. Instead it inflicts pain, not restores or provides relief (except maybe to the person playing the twisted game.)

So thanks for reminding me it isn't really a game or a science. It's still voodoo at the end of the day.

My paternal TBM grandmother refused to have anything to do with the occult. Whether it was tarot cards, ouija boards, etc. She would not participate in such activities. Once, my dad relayed to us as children, when grandma walked into a room where the ouija board was being played it immediately stopped working. The women there asked why did it suddenly stop? It answered them only that someone in the room "did not believe." That 'someone' was my grandmother. She didn't only not believe in it, she was adamantly opposed to it.

Posted by: olderelder ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 10:07AM

In other words, violence releases built up anger, and releasing anger makes us feel better. The trick is to find violence that doesn't hurt anyone.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:36AM

I'm not one for placebos. This one that comes as an app that allows you to fantasize doing physical harm to someone? Not down for that. I get that no one really means it, but still.

Makes you feel better without solving any problems or confronting issues in a well thought out way? I don't get the appeal unless it's to solidify one's status as a victim.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.