Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 11:03AM

Looks to me like another excuse to drink beer or something.
===============================================================

James Owen writes ...
=====================

"St. Patrick's Day, which is celebrated worldwide on March 17, honors St. Patrick, the Christian missionary who supposedly rid Ireland of snakes during the fifth century A.D.

According to legend, the patron saint of Ireland chased the slithering reptiles into the sea after they began attacking him during a 40-day fast he undertook on top of a hill.

It's admittedly an unlikely tale. Ireland is one of only a handful of places worldwide—including New Zealand, Iceland, Greenland, and Antarctica—that Indiana Jones and other snake-averse humans can visit without fear.

But snakes were certainly not chased out of Ireland by St. Patrick, who had nothing to do with Ireland's snake-free status, Nigel Monaghan, keeper of natural history at the National Museum of Ireland in Dublin, told National Geographic.

Monaghan, who has trawled through vast collections of fossil and other records of Irish animals, has found no evidence of snakes ever existing in Ireland.

"At no time has there ever been any suggestion of snakes in Ireland. [There was] nothing for St. Patrick to banish," Monaghan said.

Snakes likely couldn't reach Ireland. Most scientists point to the most recent Ice Age, which kept the island too cold for reptiles until it ended 10,000 years ago. After the Ice Age, surrounding seas may have kept snakes from colonizing the Emerald Isle.

Once the ice caps and woolly mammoths retreated northward, snakes returned to northern and western Europe, spreading as far as the Arctic Circle.

But snakes have not existed in Ireland for thousands of years. Britain, which had a land bridge to mainland Europe until about 6,500 years ago, was colonized by three snake species: the venomous adder, the grass snake, and the smooth snake.

But Ireland's land link to Britain was cut some 2,000 years earlier by seas swollen by the melting glaciers, Monaghan noted.

Animals that reached Ireland before the sea became an impassable barrier included brown bears, wild boars, and lynx—but "snakes never made it," he said.

"Snake populations are slow to colonize new areas," Monaghan added.

Mark Ryan, director of the Louisiana Poison Center at the Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center in Shreveport, said in 2008 that the timing wasn't right for the sensitive, cold-blooded reptiles to expand their range.

"There are no snakes in Ireland for the simple reason they couldn't get there because the climate wasn't favorable for them to be there," he said.

Other reptiles didn't make it either, except for one: the common or viviparous lizard. Ireland's only native reptile, the species must have arrived within the last 10,000 years, according to Monaghan.

So unless St. Patrick couldn't tell a snake from a lizard, where does the legend come from?

Scholars suggest the tale is allegorical. Serpents are symbols of evil in the Judeo-Christian tradition—the Bible, for example, portrays a snake as the hissing agent of Adam and Eve's fall from grace.

The animals were also linked to heathen practices—so St. Patrick's dramatic act of snake eradication can be seen as a metaphor for his Christianizing influence.

Anyone in Ireland looking for serpents to exile would probably have to settle for the slow worm, a non-native species of legless lizard that is often mistaken for a small snake.

First recorded in the early 1970s, the species is thought to have been deliberately introduced in western Ireland in the 1960s, according to Ireland's National Parks and Wildlife Service.

However, the reptile doesn't appear to have spread beyond a wildlife-rich limestone region in County Clare known as the Burren.

In the future, genuine Irish snakes are a possibility, Monaghan said.

Pet snakes deliberately released by their owners would be the most likely source, though they wouldn't be welcome.

"No alien species is without risk to well-established fauna," Monaghan explained. "The isolated nature of an island population makes Ireland highly vulnerable to any introduction, no matter how well-meaning or misguided."

Henry Kacprzyk, curator of reptiles at the Pittsburgh Zoo & PPQ Aquarium, said in 2008 that Ireland's indigenous wildlife would not be prepared for snake introductions.

Invasive snakes such as the brown tree snake have already wreaked havoc in Guam and other island ecosystems, he added.

Nor would getting rid of any such unwanted creatures be as easy as St. Patrick made it look.

"I don't want to completely burst the celebratory myth of St. Patrick," Kacprzyk said. "I want to keep some of it alive."

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 11:04AM by Dave the Atheist.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 05:43PM

It makes for a heck of a story, though, doesn't it?

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I was going to make some corned beef with cabbage and vegetables for dinner tonight, but I'm feeling rather lazy so I'll save it for tomorrow. My mom used to make that for my dad on occasion. His mother's family emigrated from County Cork. She married a New England Yankee which was the source of my mixed Catholic/Protestant background.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2018 05:44PM by summer.

Posted by: Anonish ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 06:45PM

The snakes were Pagans and Druids. They were identified by a snake tattoo on the upper arm. This is what my ancestors tell me.

Posted by: 50%Irish I am ( )
Date: March 17, 2018 07:13PM

When I served my mission near Ireland in the 80's, I often had "snake and kidney pie" so I do believe thar may be a few of 'em. My MP was a snake.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 01:07AM

My father had a very elegant guy who worked with him. "This man and his wife invited us over for supper one evening. It has been drilled into me, ad nauseam. that I would eat whatever was put in front of me. (I didn't buy that one at home, so I reserved the right to use as appropriate.)

They served steak and kidney pie. It smelled heavenly, and I was very hungry. My mother, usually a stickler for manners, would not help herself to the kidneys. "Take THOSE, Mom!" I piped up. What the heck - some had been dished onto my plate, and if I had to eat them, well, fair was fair

I didn't find them too disagreeable, and managed to get a few down. but Mother sat rigid. Dad finally asked what was wrong. Mother was a registered nurse. she spat out, "Do you have any idea how many gallons of PEE have gone through those things???"

I don't really recall how the evening turned out - wish I did. But I strongly suspect that Mother scooped the kidneys into her napkins and then stuffed them into her purse - a trick she learned from me. I saw her dumping something out of her purse into the toilet as soon as we got home.

Grandma gave me a valuable lesson. When confronted with an unfamiliar food, ask "What is is called?" (improves the vocabulary) and then take a small bite. Swallow if possible, washing down with liquid if necessary.

Posted by: Tiocfaidh ar lá ( )
Date: March 18, 2018 07:07AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.