Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Josephina ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 07:22PM

Wayne May slaps together debunked information, hoaxy stuff like the Bat Creek Stone, Anthon transcript compared to MicMac scrawls, all kinds of stuff that real Archaeologists laugh at. He and Rod Meldrum claim Hebrew DNA is in their North American tribes that they claim are Lamanites. People are eating his stuff up and believe that the Book of Mormon has been "proven" by Wayne May. When I try to show them something real, they link me to Wayne May's videos. "See, it's true! The Church is true! Here's proof!"

Yet I can't find a good website or video that efficiently gets the point across. The debunking information is scattered; some here, a little there. I don't think that people take time to follow a bunch of links with info spread out like this. What can I do to convince people that Wayne May is selling them Junk Science, that they will actually follow and listen to?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 08:03PM

The same way you "convince" them that Joseph Smith was a sexual pervert...

First they have to stop "believing" and decide that facts and evidence matter. Until *that* happens, they'll ignore anything you say, and side with the nutters/apologists every time. 'Cause that affirms their belief, and you don't.

Date: March 26, 2018 08:40PM

I suppose they assume that I'm a Satanic Anti-Mormon. I'm the one twisting and distorting things.

Although I didn't regard anyone as Satanic, I did used to defend the church online. I even believed Rod Meldrum and Wayne May, until I went on a thorough research and figured out that their findings were crap. Don't hold up to science at all. Archaeologists and Geneticists laugh at these people.

I just wish I could help people not waste their lives in a bunk church.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: March 26, 2018 11:14PM

Link?

Date: March 27, 2018 12:57AM

I just researched Dr. Barry Fell who's mentioned in this video. He is a Zoologist, not a Linguist or an Archaeologist. The mainstream scholars in these fields rejected his work, saying that he didn't have the proper training for deciphering these scripts. They called him a Pseudo-Archaeologist.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 09:18PM

He checked out of this world on April 21, 1994... Unfortunately the damage he did has outlived him.

Among non-Mormons who believe in extensive pre-Columbian Old World/New World contact, Dennis Staford and Bruce Bradley are two who promote a "Solutrean Silliness" idea, claiming that a population from Europe came to North America ~20,000 years ago.

Molecular geneticist Jennifer Raff--and her mentor, Deborah Bolnick, have also taken all of these yayhoos to task. There's absolutely no evidence in pre-Columbin DNA that supports their claims.

https://violentmetaphors.com/2016/08/15/archaeological-fantasies-and-the-genetic-history-of-the-americas/

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 03:39AM

Facts won't matter to them. FairMormon articles that criticize May's claims won't even phase them. It is like the followers of all things Wayne May are in their own special cult.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 03:17PM

A MAN CONVINCED AGAINST HIS WILL IS OF THE SAME OPINION STILL!!!

Date: March 27, 2018 06:31PM

I guess there is no hope to get through to these people. Anyone who has studied a few languages knows that his language parallels are ridiculous. I should let it alone. But it is so frustrating when I try to communicate with people, to have them answer: "But Wayne May says..." and they claim that he's a scientist. Scientists don't make the conclusions that he does. I don't know what he is, but he doesn't come off as scientific at all. I'm glad to hear that FairMormon has critcised him.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 08:47PM

Wayne May is not a scientist.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 09:18PM

...and he doesn't even play one on TV.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: March 27, 2018 09:34PM

May represents a group I've characterized as "hyper-diffusionists"; he and his "partner" in disinformation crimes, Rodney Meldrum, belong to the "Heartland School" of belief, claiming the BOM was set in the Great Lakes Region.

They appear to be motivated by financial interests as much as any desire for the truth; they routinely hold seminars and charge attendees to hear their nonsense.

A group of actual scholars and scientists were livid over May's misrepresentation of their views--via skillful video editing--in the fabricated "Lost Civlizations of North America." Brad Lepper, and Deborah Bolnick were among the authors of the following (Lepper is the Ohio State Archaeologist):

https://www.csicop.org/si/show/civilizations_lost_and_found_fabricating_history_-_part_one_an_alternate_re

>>"The Lost Civilizations of North America" documentary is one in a long line of failed attempts to populate America’s ancient past with the denizens of lost tribes, lost cities, and, as its title indicates, lost civilizations.

Parts Two and Three are linked as well.

There's also a group who argues for a "Mesoamerican Setting" for the BOM; this includes our "buddy," Denial C. Peterson, his colleague, William Hamblin, and others who used to be part of the FARMS organization. At least they have a written language as part of their claims; Native Americans in North America had no such thing.

Look for a stubborn insistence that mitochondrial "Haplogroup X" is evidence of Old World/New World contact, and be willing to point out that the two X haplogroups found in this hemisphere (X2a and X2g) are not found in Europe or west Asia. X2a "split" from the others in that haplogroup on the order of 20,000 years ago.

Date: March 28, 2018 05:08AM

I have had "Haplogroup X" thrown at me again and again. I'm not a scientist, but I have read about subclades. If it's the wrong subclade, then that should be the end of the story. But no, they insist that Haplogroup X is Haplogroup X. And I'm a spawn of Satan for trying to point out differently. I'm a demonic attack against the TBM faithful!

I know it hurts to face the truth about Mormonism. During the research and after it also, I was in a great deal of pain; the fairy tale was broken. But soon I became happy over my 10% raise in finances.

Daniel C. Peterson should stick with his Arabic specialty and leave the apologetics alone. Meldrum and May are definitely doing their mis-information game for the money.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 01:04PM

There is no one source that I know of that deals specifically with Mormon archaeological claims. But here is a good searchable resource that addresses several of those claims:

http://www.badarchaeology.com

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 08:33AM

Don't piss off archaeologists ! They will hit you with their whips!

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 05:02PM

Again I say "Trying to reason with a closed mind is similar to attempting to blow open a bank vault with a firecracker!!!"

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.