Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 07:14PM

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 09:06PM

Oh, hell no.

Nice digs. :)

Date: April 18, 2018 09:54PM

Every LDS nursery I’ve seen looked like a 12’ cardboard box with boar bristle wall paper.

The church in this pic doesn’t even demand 10% of your income.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 18, 2018 09:59PM

Date: April 18, 2018 10:29PM

Yep, it's actual.

It's at a church I attended last week. When I looked in this nursery, I could hardly believe my eyes. I almost cried.

It's at a methodist church in CA.

I just deleted some identifying details that I had originally added in response to your post. But since their own website doesn't show this room, I won't name the location.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2018 10:52PM by kathleen.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 09:54AM

Posted by: kilgravmaga ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 04:35AM

That money isn't going to new temples and instead is serving the regular people that actually attend.

This is something really stupid and basic and yet it makes me almost as angry as anything else I've heard lately about the LDS church.

I'm not very logical, I guess.

Posted by: Dorothy ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 10:10AM

I don't think it's stupid at all. I worked in Mormon nurseries. My budget was zero.

At my longest stint, we had 18 to 25 kids and we could not fit in the closet they called a nursery. I was fine being in the gym because the nursery stunk--big time--year round.

They were building a precious temple next door and they used my "nursery" for a staging/storage area. I'd roll in Sunday morning to find rolls of carpet and piles of boards, some with nails.

Complaining did nothing. It wasn't safe and no one cared. People got very angry because I put up signs asking them not to cut through. Priesthood holders felt the need to interrupt my class to tell me I couldn't put up those signs--because they were somehow in charge?...inconvenienced?

It was a thousand offenses that finally convinced me that the majority of the people there didn't care about the kids at all. AT ALL.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2018 10:11AM by Dorothy.

Posted by: scmdnotloggedin ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 02:11AM

My kids' playroom at home looks similar except for fewer tables and chairs. My wife spent a whole lot decorating, furnishing, and stocking it. My sister-in-law wouldn't let her kids in the nursery at the ward meetinghouse nearest me. She was afraid her kids would contract hepatitis.

Date: April 19, 2018 02:43AM

P.S. My kids' playroom would not look like that if I were paying tithing.

Date: April 19, 2018 03:08AM

SCMD, what lucky kids!
:D

Date: April 19, 2018 10:30PM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SCMD, what lucky kids!
> :D

Yes, they are. My wife doesn't spoil them all that much for the most part except for their playroom. She didn't have many playthings as a kid. Her dad hadn't earned his fortune yet when she was young.

Date: April 19, 2018 03:01AM

Our son slipped out of the ward nursery, and since the nursery door was right next to the side exit, he left the building--a building in proximity to both I-5 and the Sacramento River.

Someone driving by saw a toddler in the street and figured he must belong in the Mormon church. So they brought him in.

Do you suppose we learned about that right away? Nope! Someone finally told DH about the incident.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 04:45AM

OMG.

I'd be livid. Good he was returned unharmed though.

Date: April 20, 2018 01:33AM

kathleen Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Our son slipped out of the ward nursery, and since
> the nursery door was right next to the side exit,
> he left the building--a building in proximity to
> both I-5 and the Sacramento River.
>
> Someone driving by saw a toddler in the street and
> figured he must belong in the Mormon church. So
> they brought him in.
>
> Do you suppose we learned about that right away?
> Nope! Someone finally told DH about the incident.

I would die of horror and shame if a kid I was supposed to be watching escaped. When you're in charge of little kids, you watch them at all costs. The child probably wasn't missed until he was returned. In addition to having more safeguards including an alarm on the door and possibly a Dutch door, the church should be more careful about who is left in charge of the children in the nursery. The church is liable if a child is harmed either through escape or through other negligence.

Date: April 22, 2018 10:14AM

One of the four year olds went missing from church when I lived in CA.

He'd taken himself to the park a short walk away.

Smart boy.

Posted by: TommyBoy ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 08:46AM

No, but the whole Sunday school area at the church I now attend does look like that. Hmmm. A Sunday school set up with kids in mind. Shocking.

Posted by: MRM ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 08:59AM

My wife is very talented in drawing characters. Twice she drew fun characters in the nursery. Twice it was painted over in white paint.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: April 19, 2018 05:02PM

Why should it?

Date: April 22, 2018 10:15AM

Only if they care about kids.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 20, 2018 03:23AM

Where’s the smell? All Mormon building have that certain odiferous loaminess to them.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 06:38AM

When i was nursery leader my nursery looked clean, smelled clean and unless we had a new kid just joining us i could leave the door open and the kids stayed in the room! We had a schedule with song time, lesson time, snack time, craft time, play time). Nursery was one of my favourite callings ( i have a primary/ junior teaching certificate). I refused to be in it by myself for legal reasons- if something happened this could have affected my job. The bishop kept having interviews with one of my helpers without letting me know ahead of time so i could make different arrangements. Then finally, the primary president found out my testimony was floundering ( i was dealing with child abuse issues from my past and was not that happy with god at the time. ) Since i didn't tearfully cry when i was confronted with this woman and also didn't explain myself to her ( this was a private issue that only a few people knew about, and she was not one of them), she said they needed a spiritual nursery so i was being released. Nursery went back to being its disgusting self again. When i had my 2nd child i refused to send her to the nursery. Then we found out the church was a fake and stopped going altogether.

Date: April 22, 2018 10:20AM

Their loss absolutely.

They say, you left because you were offended!

So many times we leave because continual offenses allow us to get angry enough to examine their "truth".

I'm so sorry for the abuse you suffered. The church, yet again, failed to support you in any way.

Posted by: kizzie ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 08:24AM

I spent many years off and on in Nursery,only allowed my own Children in when I was serving in there,room was around 8x12,no where big enough,no chairs as no room for them and the children,no money spent on toys/kits etc some families brought old toys in which were dirty and downright dangerous,imagine 8-10 children in there and 2 adults for 2 hours,soul destroying,always found it strange that any Bishops/BP or wealthy wives never served in there.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 08:30AM

I think this is a good example of how most churches keep their donations in house to fulfil their needs instead of sending the money off to central headquarters. If you look at a typical non-Mormon church budget, most churches only send 5-10% of donations off to central headquarters. They keep the rest. Yes, the members have to pay the church's mortgage (if necessary,) heat, lights, janitorial service, etc. They also pay salaries of their ministers, staff, organist, and so on. But they are not starved for funds. Their activities budgets are not a joke. They are often able to provide for charitable work in the community as well.

And they do all this on an average donation of less than 3%.

Date: April 22, 2018 10:25AM

I am no fan of the megachurch I lived near in Kentucky, but...

Their nursery staff was screened, trained, and paid. The kids and parents each had matching bracelets. If the parent was needed, their number would flash on a screen in each room.

Most people paid 1% tithing.

Posted by: lazylizard ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 09:58AM

Not in my church. All my churches I attended got second hand toys that hardly wprk. Most of them are from the D.I.

Posted by: readwrite-LO ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 03:08PM

It should look like the forest.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 03:35PM

Imagine a church having enough money to buy propaganda on a giant playroom rug (like in that picture).

I say tax these places. Or, remove tax breaks for contributions given to churches that are presumed to be used for charitable causes and are really used to perpetuate the indoctrination.

Nothing against kids having nice play areas, but kids at almost any church are being fed nonsense.

One thing that strikes me where I live is how different things would be if people cared as much about their schools as they do their churches. Megachurch businesses are on every corner. Schools are scrounging for repairs and supplies. Education is not important in reality because most religions have a vested interest in giving lip service to education but undermining it where they can. Under educated people make the best flocks.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.