Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Stuck in Zion ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 07:58AM

I've lived here in good old Zion a number of years and yes I deal with double standards every day.

But the one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is the industrial strength racism displayed buy Mormons here.

So I'll ask again. Does the Mormon church own and or operate a Starbucks Coffee in Pensylvania?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 10:46AM

a. Closely guarded secret, we'll never know for sure.

b. No transparency in LDS dealings, especially financial.

c. Any Questions? See the above.

Posted by: Whiskeytango ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:41AM

I don’t really see that. I could see them owning part of the company but not an individual store. They strike me as bigger players than that. I don’t really see a big payoff for just one store.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 12:51PM

There may be a starbucks in Pennsylvania owned by mormons but I highly doubt the church itself owns and operates one.

The for profit part of the church is under the corporation of the presiding bishop. It is a separate enity made to handle the taxable business and real estate holdings of the church.

Under it are a variety of companies and holding companies.

It is possible one of these companies owns the land or building where a starbucks is operated. However the church has thousands of parcels of real estate do it would be one if many.

It is possible the holding company that holds stocks donated to the church occasionally receive starbucks stocks. But again it would be such a small drop in the bucket that the church wouldn't waste its time micromanaging a store.

I have heard that the church divests itself of tobacco stocks and other stocks that may seem inappropriate for them to hold as soon as they are able.

Bottom line. There is no real way to tell about a single operation in Pennsylvania.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 03:58PM

As GNPE1 says, we'll never know for sure. Their financials are as closely guarded as the patents for Coca Cola or KFC's secret recipe. LDS Inc. doesn't necessarily have to own stuff like cattle ranches, malls, condos, wheat and barley farms, etc.to grow their wealth. But I'm betting that in some of their investment portfolios, they own a lot of stock in Starbucks. They're worth an estimated 100+ billion. It makes sense they'd have a few million in Starbucks stock.They might appear to be socially confused, but financially, they have some major players on top of their game.

Date: April 21, 2018 04:03PM

Added to state. Members of Congress are exempt from insider trading laws. Utah Congressmen (and women) have sworn an oath to the church, that they place above their oath to the Constitution. Do you think for a minute that they don't share stock market insider info with top church leaders? It's a license to steal.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 04:46PM

Yeah, if you flash your temple recommend, you get ten percent off on Latte Tuesday!

Seriously, there was a barista at my Utah Starbucks who was active LDS (a convert). He said everyone was very respectful to him, he got employee duscounts, and enjoyed vanilla milk froths. He would give me free coffee once in a while because i would ask him about his day and listen to his stories. It’s so easy just to be nice to people.

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 08:02PM

I know that LDS. Inc. owns Amalgamated Sugar, the supplier of sugar to Coca-cola and Pepsico, and (used to) Busch beer.

Perhaps Huntsman supplies Starbuck's with its cups. I know they supply McDonald's with those plastic hamburger containers.

LDS, Inc. sells beef to McDonald's and Burger King.

Maybe LDS. Inc has a percentage lease on the Starbuck's locations. LDS is a real estate holding company. Who knows?

Date: April 21, 2018 08:25PM

Actually the church owned several sugar companies. But, they sold their interests in the 1940's. Many mormon owned farms sell barley to Anheuser-Busch.

Posted by: Free Man ( )
Date: April 21, 2018 11:53PM

"But the one thing I can't seem to wrap my head around is the industrial strength racism displayed buy Mormons here.

So I'll ask again. Does the Mormon church own and or operate a Starbucks Coffee in Pensylvania?"

Are you saying racism and Starbucks are synonymous?

I just googled and found Starbucks has 238,000 employees. Equivalent to the population of a good sized city. Expect zero racism there?

I would be interested to hear stories of the "industrial strength racism" by Mormons. Never saw that when I was a member.

Posted by: steve benson ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 12:39AM

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 08:57PM

...and for the UK EXMOs ... bucks and ducks

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 02:41PM

I did find out that the Marriott chain actually owns any Starbucks stands in their hotels, so it's possible that Mormons might own other Starbucks locations.

As for racism in Mormonism, I think now it's just a minority of individual Mormons who are that way, mostly in the Morridor where they're surrounded by their own subculture.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 07:26PM

Just connected the dots.

Does this have to do with the men arrested in Philadelphia?

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: April 22, 2018 11:46PM

How come nobody seems to care if they own stock in drug companies that grotesquely overcharge, or companies that manufacture anti-personnel mines, or chemical weapons, or nuclear weapons, just to name a few of humanity's less savory creations.

Mormon fixation on coffee is absurd. ExMormon fixation on coffee is even more absurd. We should know better.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.