Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:26PM

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danpeterson/2018/05/on-going-to-church-each-week.html?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Mormon&utm_content=48

Don't you just love the stereotyping that happens when some need to justify, whatever it is they need to justify?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 08:28PM by angela.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jay ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:39PM

I thought he made a strong opening statement:

"Not infrequently, I read comments from purportedly liberated ex-Mormons about the glories of churchless Sundays. Instead of attending mind-numbingly dull and repetitious meetings, they claim to spend most of their Sundays skiing, golfing, biking, reading classic books, listening to superb music, perfecting their highly toned bodies through exercise, enjoying the beach, and sipping fine imported wines."

I didn't have time to read more, but I think he nailed it-----

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:42PM

Indeed!

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 08:42PM

I'm an introvert. Going to church was DIFFICULT because I didn't want to socialize. My husband had to coerce me into going to ward parties, etc., or R.S. in the evenings, and especially the temple as I found it ludicrous.

I was extremely devout. My parents argued over whose fault it was that I left, when I had 3 siblings leave before I did (4 of 6 are out, 1 is mentally challenged and it does him good to have church).

Even my gay ex told me I was never happy mormon and I wasn't. When I went to church, I went to worship because I BELIEVED. In the singles ward I went to, one new girl said she needed to get to know me as I leaned up against a radiator and all the guys in the ward stopped to talk to me, but I didn't seek out people to talk to. I stayed to myself.

All my friends I have met at work. Some of them I have known for 30+ years. I have no long-time church friends. These friends of mine are lds. I don't go to parties. I never went to singles bars. I'm with my boyfriend who I met at work 41 years ago and we reconnected after he got a divorce 13 years ago. In mormonism singles wards, I ended up married to my gay ex on the advice of mormon leaders including Packer.

Speak for yourself Dan whatever your name is. My life has gone so much better since I ditched mormonism. Now it works. My parents werre supportive once they found out what went on in my life with leaders. My dad didn't go much. My mother was also an introvert and going to church just caused anxiety.

I work on Sundays every other weekend. Then the other women who I work with can go to church. I get better work on Sundays anyway and i get paid extra. I don't miss church. I have only one dress in my closet, which I bought for my daughter's wedding that she bailed on. I don't own any nylons.

Even my semi-active sister, who isn't disabled, only goes under duress from her husband. SHe hates mormonism, but still "kind of" believes.

Not all of us are in need of what he is looking for. More power to him. But leave the rest of us alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/17/2018 08:43PM by cl2.

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 10:18PM

I hope Dan wasn't sitting alone at his computer to write when he could have been associating with other apologists in the real world.

I admit that I only skimmed his article, but I have more real friends in my hiking group than I ever had with Sunday Mormon friends or my assigned Home Teacher friends.
Singing? Never been in a Ward in Utah where more than one or two people did anything but softly mouth the words to the hymns.
Don't really need a teacher, gospel doctrine or otherwise, for me to contemplate my place in the universe.
Dressing up? If I want to dress up I'll go to a classy fundraiser for a real charity that actually appreciates a donation and never asks what percentage of my income I've donated.

Posted by: Eric K ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:01PM

What a rather banal article. I look at my own life right now. I just returned from a 2 hour jazz practice with people I enjoy. We have some laughs and push ourselves to improve our performance. Perfection is never the goal. Wednesday morning this week I had breakfast, drinking coffee no less, with a friend from one of the bands I play in. Earlier on Tuesday evening I met another friend for a couple of beers and discussed my trip to Ireland and talked politics. Friday, tomorrow, I am helping at a local elementary school with field day. I have far more social interaction with people now than I ever did as a Mormon. Sitting passively in church and being bored out of your mind does not count as socializing in my opinion. Petersen has no idea what real life is like. He can only speculate and does so poorly.

Posted by: Lot's Wife ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:09PM

"Perfection" in Jazz??

Every "perfection" is just a really good exploration, the opening of a door and the road to new explorations.

That's why albums are in some ways lamentable. They freeze things, establish a "standard." Standardization, the notion that others can learn to imitate with great fidelity, is sort of the opposite of Jazz.

Sorry for the digression, but you triggered me!

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:06PM

"purportedly?".....hmmm.....I think I past that.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:09PM

The "strongly supportive (church) community" of which Peterson writes would likely drop him in a heartbeat if he ever left the church.

He states that "weddings and wedding receptions draw large, supportive crowds" -- who stand outside of the temple, Dan? My nevermo nephew and his wife had a huge crowd of well-wishers at their Maine wedding, NONE of whom were excluded for reasons of age or failure to pay their temple tax. There was an enormous contingent of family that arrived from the west coast.

He states, "I appreciate a community in which elderly people can still contribute." Isn't it more like, "are forced to contribute"? Mightn't some elderly appreciate a retirement from church callings? Or prefer to spend time with grandkids as opposed to having their life's savings drained to go on a church mission?

He mentions fast offerings benefitting the local poor. How about the 10% tithe, Dan? How many temples must the Mormon church build before it engages in extensive and meaningful community charity? I won't hold my breath.

If Dan genuinely enjoys his Mormon church membership, then fine. No one here is going to prevent him from going. But Dan, I watch the face of my Mormon neighbor when she returns from her meetings, and that is not a happy face that I see. Maybe she would be better served by visiting the mountains or seashore, or by reading or listening to music instead.

Posted by: gemini ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:18PM

Well, Dan, I hope you enjoy your Saturday mornings scrubbing toilets as an unpaid janitor along with all your church buddies. Yipee, what fun we're having!!

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:20PM

A number of years ago the Tanner's had a message board on their site. I spent quite a lot of time there going back and forth with a Mormon apologist who happened to be Daniel Peterson.

His comments there sounded nothing...NOTHING like the tone of that blog post. What I mean to say is that I don't believe it's possible the same person I went back and forth with actually wrote that blog post. Unless, of course he was being wholly phony in one case or the other.

You figure it out.

notmo

Posted by: TX Rancher ( )
Date: May 17, 2018 11:36PM

"...spend most of their Sundays skiing, golfing, biking, reading classic books, listening to superb music, perfecting their highly toned bodies through exercise, enjoying the beach, and sipping fine imported wines."

A true advertisement for NOT joining the mormons, lol. Thank you Dan! Who wouldn't want to do this on Sundays?? Makes everyone else, especially exmos, sound much happier and healthier.

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 06:13PM

TX Rancher Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "...spend most of their Sundays skiing, golfing,
> biking, reading classic books, listening to superb
> music, perfecting their highly toned bodies
> through exercise, enjoying the beach, and sipping
> fine imported wines."
>
> A true advertisement for NOT joining the mormons,
> lol. Thank you Dan! Who wouldn't want to do this
> on Sundays?? Makes everyone else, especially
> exmos, sound much happier and healthier.

That's the type of Sunday I like, being able to spend it outside of a Mormon building. Riding down the bike bath at the beach is a perfectly good way to spend Sunday afternoons, especially in the summer.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:16AM

From reading Peterson's "article", it would appear that Peterson wants a social club rather than a religion.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:42PM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
> From reading Peterson's "article", it would appear
> that Peterson wants a social club rather than a
> religion.

Bingo, he should start playing cards with friends or having block parties.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:20AM

We last interacted years ago when I wrote a rather tepid review on Amazon about a rather tepid book you had written, whose name I no longer recall. (And yes, the repetition is intentional, so don't snipe about that.)

I left your church more than a decade ago, and still hold the opinion that a bad Sunday as an ex-Mormon beats a "good" Sunday as a Mormon, anytime. That three-hour block of protracted boredom (while forced to wear a DRESS - ugh - I no longer own any) drained all the potential out of an otherwise glorious day.

Keep on marchin' to your own drummer, Dan. Somebody out there might decide to march with you. It won't be me, though.

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:04AM

My shameless muse blew in my ear when she gave me "Denial C. Peterson" years ago... A board friend of mine, Jesus Smith, posted something on another site and ran into Danny Boy and used it. We know Peterson reads RFM because he chided JS for not being orginal...

Anyway, I just got in from a shift, and I'm a bit too beat to toss out anything new, so we'll just rerun this one (it's over on Cricket's Salamander Site these days).

Top Ten Reasons Danny Peterson Reads the Recovery from Mormonism Site

"10. As a bishop, he doesn't have to worry about his Temple Recommend being revoked for reading apostate material.

"9. Has to because Substrate (Runtu) visits this place regularly.

"8. Doesn't trust FAIR or the Maxwell Institute to give him the straight dope on subjects like DNA or the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

"7. Hey, you'd be doing crazy stuff, too, if you had to read what whacky Mormon Apologists write every day.

"6. Because Middle Eastern languages secretly bore the crap out of him.

"5. He's worried because he once sent a troll here, and the guy left the church; doesn't want that one ever happening again.

"4. He really wants to ask Steve Benson for some drawing lessons, but he's shy.

"3. Needs material because reading about Middle Eastern languages also bores the crap out of most people.

"2. Nobody ever, ever talks about Krispie Kremes on MA&D.

"1. Secretly has designs on a couple of RFM ladies as plural wives when he reaches the Celestial Kingdom."

Okay, one little new bit... May we have some music please?

"Oh Danny Boy, Oh Danny Boy,

"The truth, truth is calling."

Anyway, thanks for the Patheos link; I'd misplaced it on another hard drive. I trolled him once there (on the issue of DNA, a subject I understand and he apparently doesn't), and I'll enjoy having him worry whether I'm going to do another drive-by in the ol' police interceptor...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 02:05AM by SL Cabbie.

Posted by: Ramses ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:57AM

I have been to Luxor myself many times over the past four decades, but I surely can imagine more interesting things to do when there than writing a blog entry that apart the photo has nothing in common with the present location.

Posted from Ethiopia

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 05:45AM

From the article -

"Do you have anything to add? (Confession: I’m more interested in comments from believing Latter-day Saints here than I am in hearing from sneering and alienated former believers. I already know pretty much what they think. That’s what led me to write this.)"

LOL!!!!

Translation - "Please, only those who will kiss my ass and think my shit don't stink need respond. There is no room in my life (or within the church) for opinions that may actually show that ex-mos are truly much happier and more productive outside of the cult."

What a weakling.

Posted by: mikemitchell ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 06:29AM

He admits he lurks here. Good, maybe he will read this: Fuck you Dan and the tapir you rode in on.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:44AM

"I would lose a great deal of social contact, and other types of socializing probably wouldn’t fully (or even significantly) compensate me for that loss..."

Dan, Dan, Dan.

The "social contact" you have at church is manufactured for you. It's not people you choose to be with. And you wouldn't "lose" any "social contact" if you simply got off your ample behind, and went out and found interesting people to have social contact with.

Of course, what you WOULD lose would be the "echo chamber" of like-thinking folks afraid to question anything, dutifully bowing their head and saying "yes" to whatever nonsense comes out of SLC. And for someone who craves and adores the praise for your apologetics from such people, that might be too much for you. 'Cause other people out in the real world you'd socialize with might (gasp!) challenge your ideas, call bullshit on your dishonest apologetics, point out your fallacies and ignorance, and so on. Whereas the mormons simply fawn over you for "defending the faith."

So while your premise is false (what else is new), it might after all be the best thing for you to keep going to that manufactured, false-face "social contact." Otherwise your ego would probably suffer a serious blow, and you probably don't have the intrinsic sense of self-worth to survive that.

So, yeah, stay where you are. We're fine without you out here.

Posted by: bobofitz ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:15PM

And don’t forget the money that floats his way indirectly because of his “constituency “.

Date: May 18, 2018 09:47PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
> "I would lose a great deal of social contact, and
> other types of socializing probably wouldn’t
> fully (or even significantly) compensate me for
> that loss..."
>
> Dan, Dan, Dan.
>
> The "social contact" you have at church is
> manufactured for you. It's not people you choose
> to be with. And you wouldn't "lose" any "social
> contact" if you simply got off your ample behind,
> and went out and found interesting people to have
> social contact with.
>
> Of course, what you WOULD lose would be the "echo
> chamber" of like-thinking folks afraid to question
> anything, dutifully bowing their head and saying
> "yes" to whatever nonsense comes out of SLC. And
> for someone who craves and adores the praise for
> your apologetics from such people, that might be
> too much for you. 'Cause other people out in the
> real world you'd socialize with might (gasp!)
> challenge your ideas, call bullshit on your
> dishonest apologetics, point out your fallacies
> and ignorance, and so on. Whereas the mormons
> simply fawn over you for "defending the faith."
>
> So while your premise is false (what else is new),
> it might after all be the best thing for you to
> keep going to that manufactured, false-face
> "social contact." Otherwise your ego would
> probably suffer a serious blow, and you probably
> don't have the intrinsic sense of self-worth to
> survive that.
>
> So, yeah, stay where you are. We're fine without
> you out here.

Hie for president. It is a manufactured group that you would normally not even like in the real world. None of them will truly come to your aid when you are in real trouble, trust me i know this better than most. You would get more help from a dead rat than a mormon "friend".

Posted by: perditious1 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 11:25PM

Hie: nice beat down on delusional danny, duke of douchebaggery
I'd vote for Hie

Posted by: Bill ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 10:12AM

"When my wife is out of town, members of our ward have frequently invited me over to dinner."

Yeah, frequently is the key word there Dan...I've seen the size of your belly, and sitting in church for 4 hours, week after week, is going to kill you. Your wife must be out of town a lot, and if I was married to you I would be "out of town a lot too."

Your lifestyle is not good for you oh Danny boy. You are a walking heart attack.

Dan you mentioned non-Mormon funerals where you can count on one hand the amount of non-family? Perhaps, but the dwindling numbers in the Mormon priesthood meetings - startin' to look like a non-Mormon funeral. Face it Dan, the Mormon cult is going down the tubes.

Date: May 18, 2018 09:50PM

Bill Wrote:
> "When my wife is out of town, members of our ward
> have frequently invited me over to dinner."
>
> Yeah, frequently is the key word there Dan...I've
> seen the size of your belly, and sitting in church
> for 4 hours, week after week, is going to kill
> you. Your wife must be out of town a lot, and if
> I was married to you I would be "out of town a lot
> too."
>
> Your lifestyle is not good for you oh Danny boy.
> You are a walking heart attack.
>
> Dan you mentioned non-Mormon funerals where you
> can count on one hand the amount of non-family?
> Perhaps, but the dwindling numbers in the Mormon
> priesthood meetings - startin' to look like a
> non-Mormon funeral. Face it Dan, the Mormon cult
> is going down the tubes.

Dan may end up getting quadruple bypess surgery if he doesn't get out quick. Ask the bard, he has a huge scar down his chest. That religion is a slow kill that you never see coming.

Posted by: eternal1 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 11:45AM

I looked through the comments and found this:

"This misses the point that most of the liberated ex-mormons had contempt for everyone in their ward anyway."

Wow, some Mormons are truly misinformed assholes that can't entertain the thought that the cult is the problem. We're still friends with most of the people in our neighborhood that happen to be Mormon. And the people were definitely not why we resigned.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 11:48AM

We're too important to bother with the likes of him.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:25PM

He was shitcanned from FAIR and is a useless talking head. Nobody knows him, and nobody respects him. So stop reading his drivel.

HH =)

Date: May 18, 2018 09:52PM

Happy_Heretic Wrote:
> He was shitcanned from FAIR and is a useless
> talking head. Nobody knows him, and nobody
> respects him. So stop reading his drivel.
>
> HH =)

I never even heard of the guy until this thread.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 01:24PM

Dan Peterson doesn't actually exist outside of his neighborhood and he knows it. So that's why it's important that he keep his assigned friends.

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 01:26PM

When my wife is out of town it's like: "Yeah, boy's night! I can watch crappy TV and lay around eating chips!"

He mentions mormon funerals and support for the grieving families...surely I'm not the only one who's noted the weird "non-emotional" response to death, almost like a hive mentality--maybe they cry at home later, but in my experience they just get back to "enduring to the end" and barely skip a beat...

And Dan, if you're reading this, remember that Jews, Baptists, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc. have a social aspect and support at church, as well as shorter services, so they do church, socialize afterwards (with coffee hour--shocking!) and still have the rest of the day to go sailing or hiking or lounging around...

Date: May 18, 2018 01:47PM

Chicken N. Backpacks Wrote:
> When my wife is out of town it's like: "Yeah,
> boy's night! I can watch crappy TV and lay around
> eating chips!"
>
> He mentions mormon funerals and support for the
> grieving families...surely I'm not the only one
> who's noted the weird "non-emotional" response to
> death, almost like a hive mentality--maybe they
> cry at home later, but in my experience they just
> get back to "enduring to the end" and barely skip
> a beat...
>
> And Dan, if you're reading this, remember that
> Jews, Baptists, Episcopalians, Catholics, etc.
> have a social aspect and support at church, as
> well as shorter services, so they do church,
> socialize afterwards (with coffee hour--shocking!)
> and still have the rest of the day to go sailing
> or hiking or lounging around...

His blog post is very short-sighted.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 01:35PM

Thanks, Dan! I love this new phrase!

Doing almost anything other than attending church on Sunday is hedonistically satisfying.

Posted by: Jonny the Smoke ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 01:50PM

The only reason an article like this NEEDS to be written, is to continue convincing mormons that hey are happier living inside the mormon bubble....Sunday church is way better than skiing, hiking, fine dinning, etc.

Why do they need to convincing, reassurance, etc???

No one needs to reassure me that I'm happy doing what I do and what I enjoy, because I know that I am enjoying it. I don't need to read an article that say's watching birds is really great and people that do are happy, to go watch birds. I go watch birds because its enjoyable and fulfilling.

This kind of article shows that mormons are purely infantile.

Posted by: Chica ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:01PM

"This kind of article show that Mormons are purely infantile."

Articles like this and testimony meetings.

Years ago I took a friend to testimony meeting with me and she said afterwards: "It was really weird. It's sounds like everyone is trying to convince each other." Exactly! As if saying something often enough makes it true.

Date: May 18, 2018 09:56PM

Chica Wrote:
> "This kind of article show that Mormons are purely
> infantile."
>
> Articles like this and testimony meetings.
>
> Years ago I took a friend to testimony meeting
> with me and she said afterwards: "It was really
> weird. It's sounds like everyone is trying to
> convince each other." Exactly! As if saying
> something often enough makes it true.

It only takes thirty people in a room and a microphone to convince each other they really are not in a cult. And they have to convince each other every month. What hell i was in.

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:11PM

If Mormon wards were really the loving, supportive places that Peterson suggests, then exmos would miss it. And we don't.

Date: May 18, 2018 09:59PM

want2bx Wrote:
> If Mormon wards were really the loving, supportive
> places that Peterson suggests, then exmos would
> miss it. And we don't.

I only miss being a troublemaker in that operation. There is more to life than that though.

Posted by: cheezus ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:32PM

When the Mormon church decides to crack down on verbal masturbation, this dude is in a heap of trouble.

Posted by: Justin ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 02:59PM

I can attend Sunday meetings at my church, still enjoy the fellowship, and then enjoy all of the rest of the things he is mentioning that non-Mormons do on Sunday. But I'm not stuck in a three-hour block rehashing stuff I already know. And church doesn't start at 1 p.m. for me like it does for a lot of Mormons. The Sabbath in Mormonism is a burden rather than a rest.

Date: May 18, 2018 03:02PM

Justin Wrote:
> I can attend Sunday meetings at my church, still
> enjoy the fellowship, and then enjoy all of the
> rest of the things he is mentioning that
> non-Mormons do on Sunday. But I'm not stuck in a
> three-hour block rehashing stuff I already know.
> And church doesn't start at 1 p.m. for me like it
> does for a lot of Mormons. The Sabbath in
> Mormonism is a burden rather than a rest.

Peterson has a very small world. Oh yea, he is Mormon.

Posted by: Dan's Wife ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 07:06PM

Dan also has a very small fingerlike appendage, which is why I "go out of town a lot."

Posted by: Old Lady in the Vines ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 06:49PM

Them's fightin' words for those of us who spend our money on local wineries.

Besides, he totally missed all the bragging about how we spend more time with beloved family members, which we could never do when devoting our time to a 3 hour block of meetings in which, most of the time, we were separated from them.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 06:53PM

Hahahahaha hardy har har! As I was trying to read ol' Dan's full article, I realized it was boring and pointless as hell and so I gave up. It reminded me once again how I enjoy my Sundays now not having to listen to some asshat's self righteous drivel. Sounds like a reaction formation to me. "Me thinks he protests too much." Whatever, Dumbass. He needs to mind his own business.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:08PM

Doesn't it make sense that after six days of creating the heavens and the earth, etc., etc., that on the seventh day ghawd RESTED!! I think I even read that somewhere!

I bet ghawd turned off his phone and slept in on the seventh day morning, and then got up, lounged around in his PJs, and then headed to a coffee shop to loll around with his ghawd buddies. Then around 4pm he and one of the Mrs. ghawds went out for a bite to eat and then to a movie. They topped that off with ice cream sundaes...

It's good to be ghawd!

Posted by: Dan the Man ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:32PM

I know one thing, God loves whip cream - just look at 'em clouds...there actually God's whip cream for his Sunday's

Date: May 18, 2018 09:35PM

Never heard of him.

Posted by: midwestanon ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:41PM

This is the second article I’ve read from Dan where he talks about how ex Mormons no longer use their Sundays for worship and church services and purportedly spend their Sundays instead doing personally fulfilling activities, but yet also seem to spend their Sundays comparing notes on what they are doing that day. Once again, the irony of Him spending his day commenting on the fact that we are supposedly not enjoying our Sundays but instead vacuously talking about what we should be doing on Sundays escapes him.

I don’t think this man is capable of talking about Exmormons, or anything for that matter, without sounding vainglorious, elitist, and highly self satisfied. His comments are peppered with some nonsense like ‘when I was a Bishop’, ‘Hardly a week past when someone didn’t invite me into their home for dinner’, and of course, the whole thing is rounded off by reminding everyone that he is so important that he is riding his article from half a world away. We get it Dan you think you’re the hottest shit around.

His world is so small he must think the entire ex Mormon community consists of those who write on this message board and whatever other message board he’s referring to, I don’t know maybe the Reddit ex Mormon board. What he doesn’t seem to grasp is there are hundreds of thousands if not millions of exmormons whose lives werent touchded by Mormonism the same ways ours were, Or there were just those who joined for a couple months and then left, were never active, or who found their way out of the church without the help of these message boards, and don’t really have a sense of exmormon communities or apologetics or anything like that. They’re just normal people who live normal lives and have normal communities, maybe their faith-based, maybe not.

I suppose he thinks the people he sees here is an accurate sampling of exmormons. What he doesn’t realize is we are the people who had such serious problems with Mormonism that we sought the help of others to recover. At least, that’s what I did. I think for a lot of people, maybe most, Mormonism was just a blip on the radar and they require no outside help, or they just sought it through other means.

This idea he seems to have an is head of Mormons being this way, spending all their time ragging on ignorant Mormons, whether true or not, is a narrow lense and he doesn’t seem to get that/

You know what I do on Sundays? Not a damn thing. That, or I pick up extra work. And it is 1000 times better than going to church, and it always has been, even when I somehow figured out a way to get out of going to church when I was a teenager. Not going was always better than going.

My guess is I know more people who in their heart of hearts view going to Mormon church as a chore, As opposed to something they enthusiastically want to do .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 09:45PM by midwestanon.

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 09:43PM

Good evening Mr Petersen. Nice of you to stop by, again. (Dan will read this, his clipping service will report it to him.)

Incidentally, my idea of a fine, imported wine is something from California.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/18/2018 10:00PM by matt.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 10:02PM

I was gonna say he doesn't know wine.

Date: May 18, 2018 10:06PM

And dan, not all of us get to do all those fun things. Some of us are still repairing ourselves from the abuse of a cult.

Posted by: lilburne ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 05:24PM

I really couldn't give a shit what Peterson thinks. He's an old guy that is heavily over weight. His world appears to be that he gets some social standing from being an apologists as without that he'd likely be irrelevant in his community. Good for him.

Bottom line though is he'll be dead soon. I'm glad i'm exmo. I come here because i'm pissed off that i was lied to by a bunch of scam artists running a long con. I was a genuine active believer and when i finally looked at the real evidence i realised i'd been lied to. I'm just here to enjoy discussing the decline of the movement and watching more and more members wake up and realise they've been lied to.

Peterson has just one chance, to go exmo and come out vocally. He like the GAs that call it and leave will be remembered positively for realising the reality. That really is his only way to leave a meaningful legacy.

Posted by: munchybotazv2 ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 06:18PM

and his weight shouldn't have anything to do with it. You don't know how long he's going to live, either. Thanks a lot, now I feel like I have to defend DCP.

On the positive side, he has a nice voice, and he doesn't sound or look very Mormon. Most importantly, he's funny ... funny ha-ha *and* funny strange.

As I always say, if you're gonna waste your life defending a bunch of embarrassing nonsense, at least be hilarious. DCP never lets us down on that count.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 06:30PM by munchybotazv2.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:30PM

lilburne Wrote:
> I really couldn't give a shit what Peterson
> thinks. He's an old guy that is heavily over
> weight. His world appears to be that he gets some
> social standing from being an apologists as
> without that he'd likely be irrelevant in his
> community. Good for him.
>
> Bottom line though is he'll be dead soon. I'm glad
> i'm exmo. I come here because i'm pissed off that
> i was lied to by a bunch of scam artists running a
> long con. I was a genuine active believer and when
> i finally looked at the real evidence i realised
> i'd been lied to. I'm just here to enjoy
> discussing the decline of the movement and
> watching more and more members wake up and realise
> they've been lied to.
>
> Peterson has just one chance, to go exmo and come
> out vocally. He like the GAs that call it and
> leave will be remembered positively for realising
> the reality. That really is his only way to leave
> a meaningful legacy.

Everyone is dying off that needs to die off. Apostles, prophets, and apologists and then the corporation will die off with them hopefully. Me and many others that got screwed over have to figure out how to live for fifty more years as everybody else dies off. It's not easy but they can not escape death and that is a beautiful thing in it of itself. It sounds cruel but they all deserve to go for what they tried to do and did to the younger generations like myself and my friends. There is a price to pay for brainwashing and manipulation and abuse. There is a cemetary plot waiting for you dan next to nelson and oaks. It's being dug as we speak, and no nobody ever cared about who you are.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 05:26PM

He emailed my husband to complain about my posts and asked DH to talk sense into me. My husband reported him as SPAM.

Next, Dan emailed another RfM contributor and asked him to intercede and help him shut me up.

The answer? "No, I'm not doing that." Then this exmo emailed me and warned that Dan is a crackpot trying to turn RfMers against me.

Dan did benefit from me and DH because he harvested some of our posts to use and whine about on his mormon site.

Once, DH found another person called Daniel Peterson who ran an enormous sewage company. DH posted a link and asked if anyone knew if these guys were related. The board went crazy with jeers and quips. Dan harvested the thread to put on the mormon site, trying prove that exmos were cruel and vicious. But the mormon site comments were equally irreverent and the sewage link only lasted a couple of hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 09:21PM by Cheryl.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:19PM

Cheryl Wrote:
> He emailed my husband to complain about my posts
> and asked DH to talk sense into me. My husband
> reported him as SPAM.
>
> Next, Dan emailed another RfM contributor and
> asked him to intercede and help him shut me up.
>
> The answer? "No, I'm not doing that." Then this
> exmo emailed me and warned that Dan is a crackpot
> trying to turn RfMers against me.
>
> Dan did benefit from me and DH because he
> harvested some of our posts to use and whine about
> on his mormon site.
>
> Once, DH found another person call Daniel Peterson
> who ran an enormous sewage company. DH posted a
> link and asked if anyone knew if these guys were
> related. The board went crazy with jeers and
> quips. Dan harvested the thread to put on the
> mormon site, trying prove that exmos were cruel
> and vicious. But the mormon site comments were
> equally irreverent and the sewage link only lasted
> a couple of hours.

(Cussing)
Holy shit this guy sounds like a real fucker.

Posted by: Hedning ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 11:40PM

and Sunday morning slow romance.

Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:08AM

Ha.

Posted by: goodbyemoroni ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 05:09AM

Yes, that is what I do on Sunday. It’s awesome! But, most importantly, I am spending the day with my husband and kids. We are not all separated out at church and in other meetings all day. Time is precious and my kids are growing up. I will never regret spending time with them instead of being at church.

I do have community, serve others, reflect on my life, etc. all without the church.

The part about us exercising because we are prideful about our bodies angers me. I don’t think it is a bad thing to want to look good anyway, but many of us are exercising for you know our health.

What in the hell is he doing writing this drivel while he is in Luxor...that is just sad.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.