Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Concerned Citizen 2.0 ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 12:02PM

...here we go again. Pope Epstein, er, I mean Pope Frank's crew busted again...damn! Pot meets the nightmarish kettle once more.
I don't know how much more of this crap their members will be able to take. Oh wait..."Papal Infallibility"

"They thanked victims for their "perseverance and courage,"

https://www.yahoo.com/news/pope-accuses-chile-bishops-destroying-sex-abuse-evidence-062740129.html

https://www.yahoo.com/news/latest-pope-chiles-bishops-past-sex-scandal-180829113.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 18, 2018 01:50PM

This has nothing to do with papal infallibility.

It's one of those Catholic doctrines that people *think* they know what it is, when, in fact, they don't .

papal infallibility only has to do with when the pope speaks ex cathadra on either faith or morals.

Nothing else

Date: May 18, 2018 05:24PM

In general use, the phrase "ex cathedra" has come to be used with regard to statements made by people in positions of authority, and it is often used ironically to describe someone speaking with overbearing or unwarranted self-certainty.

Yep...I'd say that about sums it up...with a heavy-emphasis on the last half-a-dozen words. The Pope lecturing anyone on "faith and morals" is an absurdity on it's face anyway.

...but isn't "Papal Infallibility", really, just the Catholic variation of the failed and historically disproven LDS adage;

"When the Prophet has spoken, the thinking has been done."

Because free-thinking causes pimples and other bad skin conditions...? No.

Both are psychological word-tools used to control the religious narrative and shape their flock's world view...IMO.

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 09:39AM

re: ex-cathedra...

It only counts when he's speaking as a pope, not as a man.

Gee, where have I heard that line of BS before...?

:)

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 01:18AM

Correct. Papal infallibility is rarely invoked -- only twice since 1854.

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 10:38PM

Agreed. Papal infallibility has been invoked exactly twice and neither had the slightest thing to do with sexual abuse. They dealt with the status of Mary. BTW, sexual abuse is pretty common everywhere. Catholics dont have a monopoly on it.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:00AM

Yes. There are actually limits on Papal infallibility.

Now the President of TSCC on the other hand has absolute infallibility even though mormons would never call it that.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 11:03AM

Pope Francis took decisive action when confronted with accusations of sexual predation and cover-up. He demanded, and got, the resignation of every bishop in Chile, which 1) gives him opportunity to sift through charges and evidence 2) power to act [accept, reject, or manage] and 3) signals bad actors everywhere that he means business. This is the kind of action you see in Japan, when executives caught in scandal resign in disgrace. In America they negotiate lucrative exit packages and find new positions.

#metoo is showing us that sexual predation is found in all organizations, religious & secular, political left and right. Not even the oh-we're-so-virtuous American Atheists of America are immune to it.

ConcernedCitizen2.0, I understand that you have a strong antipathy against LDS, but be alert to how that carries over to other religions. Different beliefs and different practices mean that others religions will have their vices, but also their virtues.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 01:02PM

To me, the point is that religions need to be held to a higher standard. They profess to be the arbitrators of morals.

It is not the same as some teacher, weird uncle, director or politician abusing or sexually assaulting victims. Religions go to great lengths to condition the sheep that they are trustworthy and moral, usually implying that they have direction or knowledge from God. This is despicable. People are conditioned to do "Gods will" (conveniently interpreted by the religion) then they are manipulated.

No American Atheist is going to assault using God and spirituality as leverage. Well, unless he is purposely deceitful which is possible. Atheists are not cloaked in church garb using implied validation from a higher power.

Date: May 19, 2018 10:40PM

I am sure the victim is going to feel much better if the abuser isnt religious. Seriously, abuse is abuse and it exists everywhere. Catholics dont have a monopoloy on it.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 19, 2018 02:04PM

"American Atheists of America" ? What is that ?

Date: May 19, 2018 04:54PM

Date: May 19, 2018 05:03PM

I did not know there is an "American Atheists of America". Please fill us in.

Or are you admitting to being functionally illiterate.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2018 05:03PM by Dave the Atheist.

Date: May 19, 2018 05:11PM

Don't know if there is an American Atheists of America group, but there is a non-profit "American Atheists"

Date: May 19, 2018 07:05PM

C'mon, Dave, lighten up a little. If "The Farmer and the Cowman Can Be Friends," so can the atheists and the Baptists!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vg5cwSBnyQU

Date: May 19, 2018 07:23PM

are you claiming to be a baptist ?

Date: May 19, 2018 07:52PM

Date: May 19, 2018 07:55PM

so what flavor baptist are you ?

Date: May 19, 2018 09:31PM

Date: May 19, 2018 09:56PM

there are several sects of baptists. which one are you ?

Date: May 19, 2018 10:24PM

Date: May 19, 2018 10:35PM

baptist is a denomination, as is mormon.

Date: May 19, 2018 11:01PM

International United Amalgamated Conglomerated Federation of Denominationally Authentic Baptists of the One True Cleansing Baptismal Font.

Okay, seriously. There are Southern Baptists, American Baptist Convention, and quite a few others. My church is not affiliated with any. It is independent and unaffiliated, which is rather useful when posting on a board under an anonymous username. You have to understand me on the basis of what I post, not on some preconceived image like "Republicrat" or "Demican."

The essential Baptist doctrine is "believer's baptism," that is, one is not "born" a Christian (as one is born a Catholic and then baptized in infancy), but one must be at an age of sufficient conscience and spiritual understanding to have an authentic faith in Jesus Christ. THEN one is baptized, not that it actually accomplishes any spiritual thing, but is a personal and public expression of one's faith.

Two famous Baptists: Billy Graham and Jimmy Carter
One infamous Baptist: Caffiend in Boston

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 09:43AM

caffiend Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Pope Francis took decisive action when confronted
> with accusations of sexual predation and cover-up.

BS.

He participated in the cover-up for years, shuffling priests around when he was a bishop, knowing what they'd done.

As bishop, he accused those making claims of abuse of lying, and shamed them.

As pope, he promoted clergy accused of horrendous, years-long serial abuse to some of the highest positions in the church, rather than deal with the allegations.

It's only VERY recently that he's decided it's time to act -- after years of the same cover-up and victim shaming as most of the other catholic clergy.

Date: May 19, 2018 08:28PM

"ConcernedCitizen2.0, I understand that you have a strong antipathy against LDS, but be alert to how that carries over to other religions. Different beliefs and different practices mean that others religions will have their vices, but also their virtues."

Are you kidding me?...……..what "virtues"?

Be "alert"?

Defending the Catholic Church is nearly impossible. To do that, one would have to ignore all their underlying centuries-old history of pedophilia, mass murder, torture, Nazi collaboration and worse. Here is just a small pictorial of the horrors they inflicted on the so-called "heretics", during their reign of terror in the middle ages. Thank God for the printing press, which basically slowed their religious and intellectual stranglehold over the human mind.

Yeah...….I hate the f**kers.

LDS=bad/fraudulent
Catholicism=100Xworse.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=catholic%20torture%20devices&qs=n&form=QBIR&sp=-1&pq=catholic%20torture%20devices&sc=0-24&sk=&cvid=55F76DF1C65C4AF08580DF882D326792

Date: May 19, 2018 10:42PM

You are right to hate the abuse, but to hate all Catholics as well as all religion is bigotey plain and simple

Date: May 19, 2018 10:51PM

religion is a scam run by dishonest scammers. I hate dishonest scammers.

Date: May 19, 2018 10:58PM

We know,Dave, but that doesnt make you right about all religions and all religious leaders. You are stereotyping in a very bigoted way. Many religious people and leaders are sincere and good people who are trying to make the world better. Attacking abuses and hypocites is one thing. Attacking all religion and all leaders is entirely different.

Date: May 19, 2018 11:05PM

tell us which ones I am wrong about.

Date: May 19, 2018 11:48PM

As a non-Catholic, I have my complaints with Catholicism on a number of issues: doctrine, church power & policy, priesthood, etc. And sins which a large and powerful organization have tolerated and covered up: sexual predation. In this case, Francis did the right thing and took control of the situation.

Oprah Winfrey built a school for girls in South Africa, dedicated to the mission of raising up talented, confident, and well educated young women. The sin of sexual predation reared its hideous head there. Winfrey cleared her schedule, flew to South Africa, and attended to the situation herself. We might be more supportive of Francis had he flown to Chile, but he has, effectively done a similar take-charge approach.

Date: May 20, 2018 05:08AM

My only issue with OP was the misconception that it falls under the guise of papal infallibility.

It doesn't.

Date: May 20, 2018 02:17PM

All churches have issues. I dislike some things about the Catholic church too, but I also have plenty of issues with Baptists and other fundamentalist religions

Posted by: No name ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 06:18AM

ALTAR! Not alter. An alter boy would be a tailor's apprentice.

Date: May 20, 2018 11:56AM

...I was wondering when someone would catch that!...Ha!
Could also mean an "alter-native"......to women, that is. (:p)!

BTW, I don't hate Catholic members, just like I don't hate all JW or LDS members, however they need to be informed of what occurs at the higher levels of their belief-system pyramid...alot of which is not good. I think we can all agree on that...

Date: May 21, 2018 09:44AM

Concerned Citizen 2.0 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> ...I was wondering when someone would catch
> that!...Ha!
> Could also mean an "alter-native"......to women,
> that is. (:p)!
>
> BTW, I don't hate Catholic members, just like I
> don't hate all JW or LDS members, however they
> need to be informed of what occurs at the higher
> levels of their belief-system pyramid...alot of
> which is not good. I think we can all agree on
> that...

Completely agree with that!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.