Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:32AM

Ok I watched the royal wedding today and thought it was ok, kind of boring but this is a royal family! Meghan is a actress so we will see how it all works out, Diana would be so proud of her boys!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Leaving ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:37AM

Reminds me of "New Dress" by Depeche Mode.

Sex jibe husband murders wife
Bomb blast victim fights for life
Girl Thirteen attacked with knife

Princess Di is wearing a new dress

Jet airliner shot from sky
Famine horror, millions die
Earthquake terror figures rise

Princes Di is wearing a new dress

You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world

In black townships fires blaze
Prospects better premier says
Within sight are golden days

Princess Di is wearing a New Dress

You can't change the world
But you can change the facts
And when you change the facts
You change points of view
If you change points of view
You may change a vote
And when you change a vote
You may change the world

Princess Di is wearing a New Dress

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:53AM

Meghan wore Givenchy with her tiara on loan from Queen Mary's collection. One of Princess Di's cocktail rings on her right hand.

And her veil was woven from 50 different floras representing each of the 50 Commonwealth states the monarchy oversees.

Prince Harry selected the flowers the children and bride carried from the royal gardens. They represented choices his mother would've made had she been there for their big day.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 07:49PM by Amyjo.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 09:32AM

My only quibble was with her bouquet. I felt it should have been just a bit larger in size. Queen Mary's tiara was a good choice.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:14PM

Just a tad bigger would have been good since there was a bit of ambiguity between it and the flower girls's.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 07:25PM

(the State flower) embroidered into her veil, too. As a SoCal girl myself, I thought that was marvelous.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:59AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCxiNE6eIss&list=RDaCxiNE6eIss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Huab6p5HW0E

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 08:53AM by Dave the Atheist.

Posted by: Aquarius123 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 04:19AM

Dave the Atheist Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewptevBIqNk

That was fun! I want a parrot!

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 02:02AM

I thought the best part was MSNBC's coverage when Stephanie Ruhle and Katy Tur had a complete fan-girl moment as the new Duck and Duckess rode in the carriage away from the church.

Other than that, I had headphones on and read while my much better half watched the DVRd ceremony.

Posted by: Mother Who Knows ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 02:04AM

I'm 100% English, by lineage, so I identify strongly with England.

What's the harm? Maybe this couple will spread some joy around, at the very least.

I love fashion, corgi dogs, horses, flowers, romance, love and marriage!

I needed to hear that rousing sermon all about Love! It made me wish I had spent all those years in a decent Christian church, instead of such an idiotic cult, headed by an old geezer who is anti unconditional love. "Who's on God's Side, Who?"

There was certainly more family connections, traditions, history, respect, and LOVE than in any temple wedding I've attended, that's for sure!

And the guests got in for free!

Date: May 20, 2018 09:04AM

I'm 32% British and Irish (that encompasses Scottish and Welsh per 23 and Me DNA tests.) It is my primary DNA makeup. Everything else is considered European except for the .1% Native American Indian from an ancestor who lived 400 years ago, Pocahontas. She was mentioned on some cousins ancestry records, and believed that was through marriage before having my DNA ran. Afterwards I realized the connection ie, that Rebecca Rolfe and her are the same person. Rebecca is on my ancestry through both parents. Like George Washington. My parents are distant cousins through the same set of grandparents George has, who lived and fought through the Wars of the Roses.

If you're related to one royal, you're pretty much related to them all. So if you're 100% British, it's virtually guaranteed I should think.

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:33PM

I'm descended (illegitimately) from Edward the Longshanks b. 1239. And From the Royal Clan Stuart (Robert the Bruce), So these are long distant relatives of mine as well.

Posted by: scmd1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:02PM

anono this week Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm descended (illegitimately) from Edward the
> Longshanks b. 1239. And From the Royal Clan Stuart
> (Robert the Bruce), So these are long distant
> relatives of mine as well.

My sister-in-law descends from Robert the Bruce as well. You're related! My sister-in-law is eleventh cousins with Princess Diana and something close to that with Winston Churchill The same sister-in-law, by virtue of having an LDS sister and LDS in-laws, has a few lines of her ancestry traced all the way to roughly 800 A.D., though only God knows how accurate any of that is since all it takes is one "father" not being the actual father to throw everything from that point back totally off. She also descends from Lulach the Fool (Lady MacBeth's son), Lady Macbeth, Saint Margaret of Scotland, and several kings of Scotland, as well as Edmund Ironside of England. All of that wouldn't get her as much as a free overnight stay in a castle now, but it's fun to check out.

I probably have no one more prosperous North Sea pirates in my lineage.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 09:12PM by scmd1.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 04:24AM

A two tour British veteran who served on the frontline in Afghanistan, who admits to having had mental health problems, marrying a biracial woman with a Gospel choir and a black preacher who talked about the power of love.

What wasnt there to love? :)

There was a time I had concerns for William and Harry and how things would turn out for them.

I dont any more.

They are very much 21 century princes' and the British monarchy is gonna do ok by their people.

Date: May 20, 2018 04:27AM

Out of their "storybook wedding," (Meghan was referred to as a true Cinderella story on the channel I watched,) there was a political twist to it as well. A royal marriage uniting the United States to Great Britain.

So how much of it was pomp, or circumstance?

They seem like they were made for each other. I wish them every happiness.

Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 05:02AM

I thought it was beautiful... especially the music.

Posted by: anonculus ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:33PM

The trumpet fanfares were spine-tingling, even via TV.

I can only imagine what they sounded like in person.

The French do cheese
The Italians do suits
The British do pageantry

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 06:18AM

I didn't (think of the royal wedding).

Apparently, I'm one of the few Brits not interested.

Tom in Paris

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 06:53AM

British Royal Marries Hollywood Divorcée...

Date: May 20, 2018 07:29AM

I loved it. I got up at 5 A.M. and it held my attention for the next four hours. Meghan's dress was stunning, and her mom looked beautiful. The service was lovely. I especially enjoyed that young cellist. I also enjoyed seeing all the members of the extended royal family, and what all of the women were wearing.

Posted by: Benvolio ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:56PM

I didn't watch the wedding, but learned later about the cellist, so I went to Youtube and just watched that.
I play cello and have followed his career for the last few years. Really outstanding.

Posted by: oldpobot ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 07:53AM

I don't usually care about Royal weddings but we watched it last night. Two observations:

1. The weather and setting were fabulous

2. The Brits were bemused by the American preacher because he clearly believes in God. Upper class Brits like the Royals just pay lip service to religious belief and enjoy the solemn rituals. Their embarrassment was palpable!

Posted by: bona dea ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:05PM

How would you know they were bemused or what they believe?

Date: May 20, 2018 04:16PM

I watched one woman's jaw drop wide open as he was finishing up his sermon. Her look was one of utter amazement, like OMG, what was that we just heard?!

Date: May 20, 2018 10:02PM

She opened her mouth, yes,, but people do that all the time for many reasons. We dont know why she did it or why a couple of other people looked sidewise at each other. People do both frequently for many reasons. That was my point. They may have surprised at the sermon or there may have been other reasons or no reason at all. I thought the commentators made a lot over some very common expressions. Besides these were royals who have been taught from the time they were toddlers to be polite and to hide their feelings. They ones I saw were Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie and Zara Phillips. All three are the queen's grand daughters and presumably know better than to show shock even if that is how they felt.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 10:18PM by bona dea.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 08:24AM

DID.NOT.WATCH.IT.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 10:12AM

Paper plate hats... Worn such that the food would slide off...

Princess Merkle will spend the next 40 years knowing that the Press are anxiously waiting for her to screw up; imagine being followed so closely that you can hear the salivation!!

This why I'm grateful that my grandfather abdicated!

Posted by: doyle18 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:39AM

I loved the wedding, as I'm an Anglophile who loves things like royal weddings. In fact, one place I've always wanted to visit is London and the surrounding areas, and Windsor is on the list of places to visit for me. The presiding Bishop of the Episcopal church's sermon was great, even if it was a bit long. It was still a message the world needed to hear, and far more spiritual than anything the living fossils in SLC could have ever delivered.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 11:40AM by doyle18.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:53AM

I hadn't been interested in the wedding at all and hadn't followed any news about it whatsoever. But I woke up 15 minutes before it started and figured, "What the heck. I'll turn it on and if I'm still not interested, then I'll go do something else."

I watched it on YouTube, which was the same coverage that CNN was playing, but without any commercials or commentary.

I thought it was a really beautiful wedding. It went off without a hitch. The Bishop who spoke gave a great speech, but it was a little long. Much of the latter part of it was unnecessary.

But other than that, I really enjoyed it. I cried when Meghan confidently walked up the aisle by herself, with all of those beautiful little children. That was great.

Posted by: Jaxson ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 12:57PM

I thought it was sweet. The looks and glances they gave each other melted this old man's cold and bitter heart. Brought back memories of what it was like to be looked upon by someone who totally loved and adored you. Best of luck to them.

Oh, and William's and Kate's kids would have me in the palm of their hands.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 01:19PM

They could have donated a bit to the homeless. Her dress cost about 100.000 pounds I heard.

Date: May 20, 2018 01:39PM

They asked in lieu of gifts or flowers, to donate to favorite charities instead.

They are gazzillionaires. She can afford to pay that much for her dress, excluding tax donations.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 05:43PM

How can they be gazzillionaires? They don't have jobs . oh Ya sapping off the British public for centuries. Freeloaders is what they really are.

Date: May 20, 2018 10:07PM

Hmm. William, Harry, Beatrice Eugenie, Princess Anne's kids and Princess Margaret's kids all have or have had jobs. The men have served in the military. The others are plenty busy with public appearances and charity. The only one who is retired is Prince Philip and he put in a full schedule til he was 96.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 10:19PM by bona dea.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 01:58PM

But I did hear that no political persons were invited, which makes a great deal of sense. Let people focus on the couple and the ceremony, instead of trying to analyze things like Soviet Kremlin watchers focusing on the balcony of Lenin's tomb on May Day.

Date: May 20, 2018 03:38PM

Rumor is that they wanted to invite Obama as he is a friend of Harry, but that would have caused problems if they didnt also invite Trump. They didnt want Trump there at all, so they didnt invite any political figures.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:59PM

The tradition is to exclude political figures, but that is not absolute. As William is an heir to the throne, his wedding was a different matter.

Another rumor is that Obama did not send a present. (One pundit's research revealed nothing. It could have been simply kept private, of course.)

Date: May 20, 2018 04:10PM

Maybe , but Obama is a friend and would have been invited as such.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 10:07PM by bona dea.

Date: May 20, 2018 04:18PM

Former Prime Minister Sir John Major and his wife were there.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 02:31PM

All that effort and concern and expense to marry off two twits in extreme over done extravagance to an obscene extent.

https://imgur.com/a/rCBEy94

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 03:41PM

exactly

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 07:54PM

Both have done a lot for charities that revolutionize people's lives.

Meghan has put in the effort long term and has made her own money. She is educated, bright, innovative, eloquent and compassionate.

Harry and his older brother William have both been in the armed forces and deserve recognition for their service and achievements (eg: both becoming pilots). They were paid the usual salary that others doing the same job received. AKA working for their income.

They received an inheritance from their mother, Diana, that did not come from the "taxpayer", just like many other (fortunate, yes) folks do from their parents. Their father uses income from his Duchy and covers many of their expenses. (Yes, we can have a contentious discussion about the origins of the power and possessions of the Monarchy but let's not).

If Harry does not do another single positive thing in life, starting the Invictus Games for wounded vets, as he did, is a crowning achievement.

Would that we all could get a great idea, bring it to fruition and effect a positive change in the world as he has, changing attitudes, enhancing enjoyment, bringing people together, literally saving lives in many cases, and the Games are now held in many countries, inspired by him.

Twits? Not.

You can tell that by even a brief read of their bios.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 07:56PM by Nightingale.

Date: May 20, 2018 03:37PM

Honestly...It was a absurdly disgusting waste of money for people in England, who don't do anything for their country. I think the English monarchy is outdated and needs to go away. The amount of money tied up in them and what they "own", is a waste of badly needed resources for Great Britain. I have nothing personal against Harry and Meghan, but the obsession the US media had over this was way over the top.

I hope they can be happier than Charles and Diana.

Date: May 20, 2018 03:38PM

I did like the American pastor who preached during the ceremony...and the looks on the Engish' faces was priceless.

Date: May 20, 2018 05:23PM

Reminded again of what freeloaders the British Monarchy are . Who paid for all of this ? The British citizens oops Subjects . I would not mind them if it was all ceremonial and they had not one bit of political power and they were funded by donations rather than British citizens oops again subjects.Maybe when The queen dies and Charle becomes king the British will come to thier senses and demolish this monarchy and actually become a republic .One can only hope.

Date: May 20, 2018 05:32PM

While I am at it this entire knighthood thing needs to go too. British World War 2 veterans who saved thier comrades lives at Normandy don't get a knighthood . They save those for the likes of Sir Mick Jagger . What a joke.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 06:25PM

Very best wishes for the newly weds! I’d recommended they move as far away from the other royals as soon as possible. The Republican Boner.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 07:47PM by BYU Boner.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 06:43PM

Just like a fairy tale.

Too bad some little 12-13 year olds will be dreaming that their wedding will be exactly like this.

Date: May 20, 2018 07:36PM

It is hard not to become jaded when remembering this was so very much like Princess Di's wedding. And look how that went down!

Posted by: quatermass2 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 06:50PM

The chapel architecture was the only reason to watch, really.

Perpendicular, which does make a change from the ubiquitous Gothic.

Saw them driving away in an open coach with a couple of flunkies in the back riding with them; almost certainly Secret Service men.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 07:46PM

If the British monarchy were to go away, how many people would be out of a job? How many people work for the royal family?

Up until recently, William held a job (emergency helo pilot I believe). Think he had to give it up with his grandfather's failing health, and take over his duties.

Don't know what Harry has been up too, but he did serve in the military, Two tours of duty in Afghanistan on the frontline before someone tipped off the media. He wanted to serve a 3rd, but at that point, there were concerns for him and his buddies now that his identity was known.

Date: May 20, 2018 10:10PM

Harry spends a lot of time on charity work.Also, if the monarchy disappeared, what would this do to tourism.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 10:21PM by bona dea.

Posted by: BeenThereDunnThatExMo ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 10:10PM

Meghan & Harry are just pretending to be "happy".
What else could they do?
They weren't worthy to participate in the New & Everlasting Covenant of Marriage in the House of the Lord.
Because of this the odds are already stacked against them.
They both longed for a Temple Marriage but alas it was not to be.
Maybe they can wait a year and get themselves worthy to enjoy the blessings of a Temple Marriage.
I wish them well in the meantime...

Or so it seems to me...
(sarcasm alert!)

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 10:48PM

Thrilled that I am still alive to watch the whole thing on TV. (Or most of it, anyhow.) And the repeats.....

Very interesting, enjoyable. Loved seeing the strong "black" influence in the pale white Monarchy. The black preacher seemed so out of place in that old castle. Loved the Gospel Choir.
All kinds of stodgy traditions were broken!

The wedding was a huge boost to the English economy!

Posted by: perky ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 10:54PM

Paying millions of taxpayer dollars to support a bunch of entitled people because they have the correct last name. How about feeding the poor instead.

Posted by: raisedbyjackmormons ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:32PM

I got up at 3 am to watch it and wasn't disappointed. My favorite part was watching the guests walk the long way down the road. So fun to see who was invited. Lovely, sunny day and ceremony. I didn't care for her dress, though. I thought it looked lumpy and too bulky, but the veil and tiara were beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2018 11:33PM by raisedbyjackmormons.

Posted by: tumwater ( )
Date: May 21, 2018 01:10AM

All the flamboyant dresses and hats reminded me of all the exhibition that is associated with the Kentucky Derby.

Posted by: Villager ( )
Date: May 20, 2018 11:56PM

It was a beautiful day for a spring wedding. Loved the colorful dresses and funky hats. The queen looked better than usual and I loved seeing her in that bright green suit.

I don't care for wedding veils anymore but the bride looked nice.

Victoria spice girl was the only one who looked terrible. Maybe she misread the invite as a funeral and not a wedding.

The mormon in me couldn't help but think the bride is almost 37 years old (an old maid by Utah standards!) and had this been a Utah/mormon wedding Meghan would have been the Mother of the Bride and pregnant. Her 18 or 19 year old daughter would be the bride.

All in all--a thumbs up for this wedding.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.