Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 08:36PM

It just hit me today and I had to go back and re-read the whole response from the LDS to the Human Rights Campaign Fund's 150,000 letters of protest against what BKP said in General Conference. Despite the protest being about what BKP said, BKP was not mentioned in the response from the LDS.

Then I remembered about the "WE LOVE YOU - President Boyd K. Packer" Facebook page. Today 10/16/10 between 6:00AM and 11:30AM was supposed to be the big event for gathering 100,000 signatures in support of BKP. There has been nothing in the papers about this. Did it just go bust or did the LDS not want to make a point about a large number of people supporting BKP's comments? We all know that if the LDS wanted they could have mobilized the troops and shown a huge level of support for what BKP said, but so far it seems no such effort has been made.

It seems strange to me that a massive protest aimed at what BKP said got a response from the LDS church that did not even mention BKP or address directly anything he said. It also seems strange that the LDS did not want to manufacture a wave of support for what Packer said.

OK, perhaps thinking that the LDS wants to make BKP a Orwellian nonperson is a bit over the top, but I think the LDS may be wanting to make his talk a nonevent.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sophia ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 10:37PM

The Facebook page has been mentioned in a couple of articles in the SL Tribune. I think it said they had 14,000 members on or supporters of the page or something like that.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: October 16, 2010 10:48PM

I would think that if the LDS wanted to rally their forces, they should be able to get lots more than 35,000 in two weeks.

More telling as to the LDS stance on the facebook page than the Trib articles, it seems the Deseret News has not mentioned the "We Love You -- BKP" facebook page at all. At least several search using various combinations of facebook, packer, and we love you have not found anything.

I would think that if the LDS wanted to make a big show of supporting BKP and what he said, there would have been a Deseret News story about the facebook page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/16/2010 10:51PM by MJ.

Posted by: SLDrone ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 09:59AM

MJ - It hadn't occurred to me until I read your post, but you are absolutely right. I believe your examples perfectly support your theory. Official response has entirely ignored Packer.

Why did Packer say what he did? Why did he say it in such a way? Why did he bring it up again? Why did he punctuate it with "we cannot change, we will not change"? In my opinion it was his last hurrah, he's going out and he wants to do it with both guns blazing, in a glorious final display of his arrogance and disinterest in anyone's opinion but his own.

As a closeted homosexual himself, long self hating and battling his own INBORN TENDENCIES he thinks that the louder he speaks he can prove to himself he's not flawed. It is unfortunate that such a petty, intolerant and bigoted man has been given such a large stage on which to act out his mental illness. It is even more unfortunate that his drama has the potential for harming others.

He'll be gone soon, his words and his bigotry fading. The "church" can change, the church will change", something that Packer will never comprehend as his brain will be decomposing six feet under, never to rise again. He's right about one thing, the laws of nature cannot be changed, neither by vote or fable.

Posted by: axeldc ( )
Date: October 17, 2010 10:45AM

I've never thought Packer was gay. I met him once when I was a missionary in Paris and never got a gay vibe from him.

I think that SWK was gay. "The Miracle of Forgiveness" reads like a man fighting personal demons. His belief that masturbation leads to homosexual thoughts is only true if you are gay. The stories of him being the kissing prophet shows how much he desired same-sex affection.

Packer is just a hateful prick. I know lots of homophobes are closet cases, but lots of homophobes are just assholes. Anita Bryant isn't gay and she's a hateful bitch.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.