Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 08:20PM

I feel bad for Emma having to put up with Joe Smith! She probably was very upset! Of course Mormons will say Joseph Smith didn't marry a lot of wives! Yes he did!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 08:25PM

Law was, of course, Smith's Second Counselor, whose printing press was destroyed following the only issue printed of "The Nauvoo Expositor" that exposed Joseph Smith's polygamy.

http://www.mrm.org/law-interview

Emma is mentioned...

Date: June 06, 2018 08:45PM

I read it , poor Emma and Brigham young wives " these men were scam artists and amazing how this cult is still around!

Posted by: anono this week ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 08:57PM

Emma was very embarrassed and didn't go for any of it. What is interesting is that her 2nd husband (Bidwell) did similar, he had an affair and made babies and Emma was kind enough to raise her step kids. She never divorced him, I guess she was too tired to fight the men in her life and just kind of accepted it?

Mormon Enigma is a great book that describes all the details.

Date: June 06, 2018 09:19PM

She probably did not get along with Joseph Smith other wives " I wouldn't blame her

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 10:53PM

Keep in mind, none of them were actually wives -- seeing as how not one of them was a legal marriage.

But anyway, she kicked at least one out of her house, threw another one down the stairs (apparently causing a miscarriage), tried to poison Joseph (according to Brigham)...and then for the rest of her life denied that Joseph had ever had any other "wives."

So it's safe to say she didn't take his affairs very well.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 10:39PM

ificouldhietokolob Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Keep in mind, none of them were actually wives --
> seeing as how not one of them was a legal
> marriage.
>
> But anyway, she kicked at least one out of her
> house, threw another one down the stairs
> (apparently causing a miscarriage), tried to
> poison Joseph (according to Brigham)...and then
> for the rest of her life denied that Joseph had
> ever had any other "wives."
>
> So it's safe to say she didn't take his affairs
> very well.

Was there a ceremony of any kind?

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 09:12AM

Badassadam1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Was there a ceremony of any kind?

For at least some -- but it was typically a quick "sealing" done in private in Joseph's office, with one "witness" (one of the other church big-wigs that had been brought in on the secret).

Ceremony or not, it still wasn't legal, and he only had one wife. The rest were affairs.

Date: June 07, 2018 11:31PM

Poor Emma and every woman Joseph and Brigham used! Emma probably thought why did I marry Joseph Smith for?

Posted by: formerrlds ( )
Date: June 06, 2018 10:57PM

Emma Smith was responsible for the founding of the RLDS Church (which is my childhood church) and that church has always vehemently disavowed polygamy, to the point that they tried really hard to sweep it under the rug up until fairly recently, when researchers had found enough proof to make them look foolish for doing so. I think it's reasonable to assume she wasn't having any of that. ;)

Posted by: S. H. ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 10:38PM

They weren’t wives. They were affairs. The Mormon church calls them plural wives to cover it up. Half the women were married to other members of the church. The first, Fanny Alger, was a maid in Joesph and Emma’s home. Oliver Cowdery called Joseph and Fanny’s relationship “a dirty, nasty, filthy affair.” Oliver Cowdery was one of the 3 witnesses of the bom. Why do you think the church denied Joseph had plural wives for so many years? Because once a person learns the details about the women, their is no excuse for Joseph’s affairs.

Posted by: S.H. ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 10:45PM

Sorry, there

Posted by: Melania ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 11:42PM

Ask Rudy Giuliani. I'm sure he'll tell you.

Posted by: NotLoggedin ( )
Date: June 07, 2018 11:53PM

Temple sealing is supposed to be so important but JS was sealed to other women before Emma. Does anyone know the order of dates of the sealings?

Posted by: Familydestroyers ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 12:26AM

Joseph was servicing virgins so that that they wouldnt die virgin and be given to muslim terrorists who were promised 90 virgins in the afterlife.

*sarcasm off* geeze the things women have to deal with in religion makes ya wonder.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 04:17AM

She tried to kill at least one.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 05:35AM

I think she saw them for what they were -- affairs. She knew she had a husband who was running around on her, chasing anything with a skirt. Joseph calling it "polygamy" was just a way of trying to dress it up.

Posted by: TheHumanLeague ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 09:20AM

How would you feel knowing that your Husband is a piece
of CRAP doing this and using GOD as an excuse? TWISTED!

Posted by: koriwhore ( )
Date: June 08, 2018 10:52AM

I have zero sympathy for her. She enabled the fraud that victimized 5 generations of my family alone.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.