Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Fascinated in the Midwest ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 09:52AM

Haven't visited Salt Lake City in decades (although I do remember the smell of the fog/smog/lake from a visit once)...was surprised to hear about a crime rate that is unusually high:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/06/13/50-worst-cities-to-live-in/35909271/

If about half are Mormons, I'd expect they could all get along, nice-nicey.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 10:44AM

It doesn't surprise me. It's aided and abetted by a polarizing effect between overconformists and underconformists. A cause and effect studied by sociologists and reported on in police manuals.

Although SLC has been featured in Forbes as one of the best cities to retire for seniors. So has Ogden and St George.

Posted by: BYU Boner ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:35AM

High crime rates, traffic, and .... killer smog. Even Mrs. Boner is saying SLC isn’t what it used to be.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 11:39AM

I got the first two...

then

CLICK BAIT

Posted by: Razortooth ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 01:23PM

I once spent a year in Salt Lake City. I believe it was on a Sunday.

Posted by: Done & Done ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 01:26PM

Hahahahah ha and snort! That says it all.

Posted by: lachesis ( )
Date: June 15, 2018 04:37PM

Like Saturday Night in Toledo Ohio?

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 01:27PM

I like SLC to visit. Can't say I'd be thrilled to live there, though it has some nice neighborhoods. They're also high priced housing. Don't see how the working or middle class can afford to live there.

Apartments are pricey too. If you can afford those rents, buying isn't so much more of a stretch.

Posted by: gettinreal ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 03:09PM

I was shocked to learn that a tiny house I grew up in is now in the $350-$400k price range. Granted it’s in the “Sugarhouse” area, but holy shit!!!!

Posted by: raven ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 03:07PM

The crime rate is high in that area. Much of it goes unreported. It is not worth visiting. There are too many issues with violent crime, and, for females, the stalking and rape rate is also extremely high, along with a general staggering domestic violence rate and astronomical drug use rate. Housing is expensive now, making it a poor choice overall these days since the cost of living is no longer low.

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 03:49PM

Houses are expensive along the Wasatch Front
Apartment rents are expensive
Apartments and houses are in short supply
Wages are low in Utah
Wages for women are especially low.
Mormons have no money for houses because they give away 10% of their income.

All of those statements cannot possibly be true at the same time. Something in that list has to be bullshit.

I think there is an artificial shortage of apartments and starter homes because speculators are grabbing them and using them as airbnbs. There are literally tens of thousands of new units under construction or planned for the near future. That will eventually ease the shortage. My prediction is that unless tighter regulations are put in place on airbnb type rentals, the real victims will be hotels. I look for them to start squawking loudly real soon now.

I had a condo in Holladay, sold it to voluntarily rent in the heart of downtown SLC just to see how I liked it. I'm liking it just fine. I find the "high crime" claims laughable. I also walk to City Creek Center a couple or three times a week just for exercise, and find the claims that it is in financial trouble equally laughable. They have plenty of foot traffic there.

Jon Batiste from the Tonight Show will be playing at Gallivan Center tomorrow night. The twice weekly summer concerts there draw good crowds - crowds out on the streets in a public park after dark. The death of SLC is greatly exxagerated. Lots of interesting stuff going on.

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 06:23PM

Are the sidewalks still heavily cracked and in extreme disrepair? Every sidewalk in sight was like this.

Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 07:01PM

The article is about Salt Lake City proper as it gives a population of 193,000. Salt Lake City is a relatively small part of the valley population so it does not include places like Murray, Sandy or West Jordan.

Posted by: Jimbo ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 07:20PM

I live in SLC and it like any city has its good and bad. The condo we bought 14 years ago now costs double what we paid . Traffic is much worse . I avoid the freeway like the plague.Lucky I live close to work. Crime seems on the increase but I still feel,safe walking at night in almost any part of town. I don't like the winter temperature inversions but the rest of the year is great . I like to ski hike and bike and slc is really fantastic for all that . SLC itself is losing the Mormon influence rapidly If you go to 9 th and 9 th or Sugarhouse you might have no idea it's a Mormon town . I have very few Mormon neighbors

Posted by: jett ( )
Date: June 14, 2018 07:41PM

Jimbo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I live in SLC and it like any city has its good
> and bad. The condo we bought 14 years ago now
> costs double what we paid . Traffic is much worse
> . I avoid the freeway like the plague.Lucky I live
> close to work. Crime seems on the increase but I
> still feel,safe walking at night in almost any
> part of town. I don't like the winter temperature
> inversions but the rest of the year is great . I
> like to ski hike and bike and slc is really
> fantastic for all that . SLC itself is losing the
> Mormon influence rapidly If you go to 9 th and 9
> th or Sugarhouse you might have no idea it's a
> Mormon town . I have very few Mormon neighbors

Do you even feel safe in West Valley City, Redwood, etc?

Posted by: alsd ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 02:05AM

It is sad to see so many great American cities in decline. Despite the Mormonism, SLC has so many things that should make it a top notch city.

I am often surprised at some of the cities that make the list. Many years ago, while dating my ex-wife, we went to visit some of her family in New Haven, CT. I figured a a coastal city in the richest state in the country (at the time), and home to one of the most prestigious universities in the world, it would be a super ritzy place. Boy, was I in for a rude awakening.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.