Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Tevai ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 08:42PM

I just discovered a new video on YouTube (and I think it went up today): The Children of Cults: Special London Talk, June 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMencHaDDNo [I am obviously misreading the web address; search for Janja Lalich The Children of Cults . Sorry!]

Janja Lalich is an American, who comes from her own, years-long background in cult culture, who--after leaving her group--became an anti-cult expert.

In this (roughly) hour-long presentation in London, she talks about her experiences dealing with adults who grew up IN cults, and the different issues they discover they must deal with when they leave.

(One of the sections in her book, which she talks about, briefly, in this lecture, is the fundamentalist LDS, because one of the women in her book was raised fundamentalist LDS.)

[That being said, most of her talk is devoted to what she discovered about children, in different cults, who had to discover, and learn, and deal with so many different issues (on very practical levels) after they left: many of them had no idea how to deal with the simplest of daily life tasks in non-cult life.]

At one point, she highlights the importance of Internet discussion boards (like this one) for ex-members of cult groups--and how much the people she interviewed learned from "ex-" groups (in general, often having nothing to do with the specific cult THAT person had once been part of).

In other words: "ex-" members of different cult groups have a great deal of extremely welcome information to share with "ex-" members of OTHER cults on most every level of life.

Dr. Lalich talks at length about the importance of practical information to those former cult members who are newly "ex-"...and how difficult finding that information can be for those people (especially since they grew up in cults, so they have no "outside" experience in their own personal histories to fall back on).

The talk is about an hour long, and though most everyone here "already knows [whatever it is]," I, personally, learned a bunch of things I did not know before. (I did not know that there are "martial arts cults," for example.)

If you have an extra hour while you're doing dishes or cleaning the bathroom or something, listening to this talk while you clean (or chop vegetables) would be a good way to spend that time.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2018 08:51PM by Tevai.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 08:52PM

Here's Steven Hassan, considered the "world's foremost authority on toxic cults," as well. I was privileged to meet him a few years ago when he presented at an Exmormon Conference here. Dr. Hassan is a former Moonie who uses a BYTE model to identify the toxic factors. I feel safe in suggesting he would be of the "no one size fits all" model of recovery...

https://vimeo.com/136957979

Dr. Hassan's site is freedomofmind.com

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 16, 2018 10:38PM

It has taken years of deprogramming for me to arrive at the point where I was able to acknowledge Mormonism IS a cult. The ramifications are always there to remind you.

Will try to tune in tomorrow to the featured vid. And check out SL Cabbie's too.

Date: June 17, 2018 02:48PM

Here's the link that works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7uMXXqs_wc

Interesting to note that the speaker was in a political cult that imploded, before she embarked on her career as a cult expert.

A takeaway: It's very hard to make decisions for former cult members.

Processing. And here I've blamed it on a combination of procrastination mixed in with being a perfectionist. Apparently it's something that's directly linked to having belonged to a cult.

Posted by: Nightingale ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 02:21AM

That is the type of information that can help many people to figure things out.

Even if it's a different cult/group under discussion some of the insights are interchangeable.

Date: June 17, 2018 02:26AM

Thank you, Nightingale!!

:)

Date: June 17, 2018 08:37PM

There's another video by the same interviewer of Janja Lalich, with an ex-Mormon discussing the commonalities that Scientology and Mormonism share. In particular whether Mormonism, like Scientology, is a destructive cult.

I'm listening to it as the laundry winds up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU_RHcZLwCg

Date: June 17, 2018 10:23PM

Amyjo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There's another video by the same interviewer of
> Janja Lalich, with an ex-Mormon discussing the
> commonalities that Scientology and Mormonism
> share. In particular whether Mormonism, like
> Scientology, is a destructive cult.
>
> I'm listening to it as the laundry winds up.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU_RHcZLwCg

I just watched this, and I'm really glad I did because I learned a lot of things about Scientology that I did not know.

When Chris Shelton, the interviewer (and a former Scientologist), asked Jonathan Streeter (a former Mormon), to explain something about the "oddities" [my characterization] of "everyday" Mormonism, there are three things I wish he had mentioned (in addition to those things he did talk about):

1) Tithing--and how every member of the LDS church is, to the church, "worth" a minimum of 10% of their lifetimes earnings.

2) TSCC's homophobic past, and the present LDS restrictions on both LGBT families, and the children of those families.

3) garments

This was a good recommendation for me, Amyjo.

Thank you!

:)

Posted by: deja vue ( )
Date: June 17, 2018 09:00PM

Even though I have been out of the cult for 27 years the
listening and watching the interview with Joshua Durham shook me to tears. It all is in one package and makes such sense.

I encourage ALL to take the time and watch it.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.