Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: newcomer ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 02:00AM

Hello,

Haven't been on much since Monson's passing. How's the new guy compared to the old one?

Are they hanging onto his every word still?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: slskipper ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 02:30AM

I'll jump in here. The guy is a firebrand compared to Tommy. New temples galore, it's official that the Twelve Tribes have been gathered (according to his wife), we are so glad that God finally stopped despising black people, a one-week "fast" from social media (to let the news die down about the 32 billion in assets- and yes, "they" indeed hang on his every word as from the mouth of God.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 05:13AM

I can understand the confusion. He’s old enough to be God. The members are hungry for someone who will do prophety things. Russell does not disappoint. He figured out he can throw anything at the wall and it will stick. Mormonism is all a show. Finally there’s a good showman in addition to the usual clowns.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 06:32AM

Russell is hanging on for dear life so he can enjoy the pomp and circumstance a little bit longer now that he's been made 'pope.'

Compared to Monson, can he twitch his ears?

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 08:31AM

Nelson seems like a more dynamic leader than Monson.

Date: June 23, 2018 08:46AM

Really? I don't see him that way. He looks younger for his years than Monson. Otherwise he propagates the same old Group Think they have been doing for as long as the good old boys club became an institution.

He may be taller, slimmer, slightly more charismatic. That old age is going to get him too, in the end. He was aspirational enough to get where he is. It's a little like playing King of the Hill. He made it to the top of the dog pile. But he is really no different than the rest. They hold onto that title until they're pronounced dead.

Even the pope knows when to bow out gracefully.

Date: June 23, 2018 08:59AM

By "dynamic" I mean more willing to put his stamp on things, to change things.

Date: June 23, 2018 09:12AM

I see Wendy as the dynamo, by virtue of her much younger age. With Nelson, I see a socialite along with his wife wanting to make a big impression. But not for the right reasons.

And him a walking skeleton of a man. Blame it on his age or my eyes. That's what I see.

Posted by: Babyloncansuckit ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 10:09AM

Any interest in a betting pool regarding if and when he dies of heart failure?

Date: June 23, 2018 05:37PM

Looking at online probability tables, he has perhaps three or so more years. I wonder if he has an advance directive. My guess, as a physician and surgeon, he does.

Posted by: subeamnotlogedin ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 09:06AM

Nelsen said

‘Dowry is not the Lord’s way’: In Kenya, LDS President Nelson says tithing breaks poverty cycle

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/900016023/dowry-is-not-the-lords-way-in-kenya-lds-president-nelson-says-tithing-breaks-poverty-cycle.html

To tell a third world country to pay tithing when their basics needs like running water are not even met is absolutely shameful in my opinion!

Posted by: Chicken N. Backpacks ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 10:40AM

I just read that article again and AM MORE ANGRY THAN THE FIRST TIME I READ IT.

Tithing tithing tithing, and then Get Your Temple Recommend, which in other words means TITHING.

I read the first comment:

"...When my wife and I met and I explained that 10% of my income went to church she was... less than enthusiastic. In the years since we have found that as long as tithing comes out first, we have enough for our needs even when it looks dubious."

That perfectly illustrates the idiocy of this godammed cult/corporation--while they promise that tithing will "break the cycles of poverty"-- here a guy says that he just gets by *after* he pays it...no windows of Heaven opening and pouring out blessings. It's a scam. The temple is a scam. The only good that might come from it is the discipline and focus that religion can bring to someone.

Something else I just realized is the patronizing LDS attitude in Africa: the assumption is that these people are poor; most are, probably, but there may be plenty of businessmen and craftsmen that are doing OK and can afford tithing, but no, the white man from Utah talks down to them as though they were all living in grass huts. And the article has a the gall to talk about the long bus rides and bumpy roads to hear a "prophet of God", as if these are pioneers sacrificing for the Lord by suffering to travel and see him utter speak for the "Lord".

DAMN IT!

Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 10:15AM

Thanks to Nelson (or the PR Department) Mormons now have "Ministering" instead of "Home Teaching" but the more they talk about it, the more sounds like the same game with a new name.

Posted by: smirkorama ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 11:56AM

Shinehah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks to Nelson (or the PR Department) Mormons
> now have "Ministering" instead of "Home Teaching"
> but the more they talk about it, the more sounds
> like the same game with a new name.

( using the name of) "Ministering" for THE (MORmON) church's home teaching program, instead of (using the name of) "Home teaching" ...there is some rock solid substance for people !!!! THE church is bound to take off like a rocket due to that change !!!

Date: June 23, 2018 10:49AM

He gave a priesthood blessing April 2018

"In that spirit, I bless you to identify those things you can set aside so you can spend more time in the temple. I bless you with greater harmony and love in your homes and a deeper desire to care for your eternal family relationships. I bless you with increased faith in the Lord Jesus Christ and a greater ability to follow Him as His true disciples.

I bless you to raise your voice in testimony, as I do now, that we are engaged in the work of Almighty God! Jesus is the Christ. This is His Church, which He directs through His anointed servants. I so testify, with my expression of love for each of you, in the sacred name of Jesus Christ, amen."

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2018/04/let-us-all-press-on?lang=eng

Date: June 23, 2018 10:51AM

His "blessing" sounds like a work order to me to so more temple work.

Date: June 23, 2018 10:58AM

"My dear brothers and sisters, construction of these temples may not change your life, but your time in the temple surely will."

Nelson April 2018

My own thoughts here below.
What is required to enter the temple? Tithing right? Nelson is bringing up the tithing revenues by building temples. The blessing is to lay on more guilt for members who are struggling.

Date: June 23, 2018 03:43PM

Sacrificing both time and moolah, not to mention family on the alter. They guilt people on all fronts.

They want your time, your money, your family, your soul. Pay, lay, ale.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 23, 2018 11:47PM

Haven't followed, probably for the best.

Date: June 24, 2018 12:21AM

Good for you Adam!I hope someday not to even know the name of the current profit.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 12:36PM

I left that circus, i want to be the guy that made it out and never thinks of it again. A hard task but that is what i want.

Posted by: GNPE1 ( )
Date: June 24, 2018 01:38PM

I haven't seen herr Nelson wiggle his ears, but I haven't given up yet...

Posted by: ificouldhietokolob ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 12:25PM

Monson:

"Let's go shopping!"

Nelson:

"Poor people, pay your tithing to get out of poverty!"

Same song, new verse.
Follow the profit.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.