Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crazy horse ( )
Date: June 25, 2018 10:28PM

I know that Mormons lie and say we stopped having polygamy in 1890! I don't believe them!is it still going on? The group that does polygamy Mormons say are not true Mormons? Very strange cult I should say

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Cabbie nli ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 12:46PM

You can Google "Post-Manifesto Polygamy" (very relevant with Romney's Utah Senate Candidacy) for information on how a group was sent to Mexico to "preserve a remnant of the seed."

Polygamy is still practiced by a number of splinter groups, the Allred's "Church of the Apostolic Brethren," the Kingstons (a horrible story itself), and there are also "private practitioners" who don't affiliate with any sect.

According to research I read (confirmed by a very sharp regular here), "fundamentalist Mormons" (Hinckley hated that term saying there weren't any) were allowed access to the Salt Lake Temple during the tenure of David O. McKay as LSD President. The practice stopped with McKay's successor, Joseph Fielding Smith.

The figure I've seen mentioned is that there are perhaps 30,000 people in the various groups scattered around the Intermountain West (that maybe a low figure, however). You can search Hilldale, Colorado City, Rulon and warren Jeffs, and Winston Blackmore if you're interested.

I had to "put the lid" on my own research for very personal reasons, but I wish anyone well who pursues the subject.

Posted by: Devoted Exmo ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 12:48PM

I believe the "Sister Wives" are still hanging with that strange fella Kody.

Posted by: Just Browsing ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:08PM

Yep -- The current prophet Russell M Nelson -- Was sealed to his first wife (Danziel)and when she passed away, also sealed to his second and current wife --Both for time and all eternity in the Salt Lake Temple - So Yep !!!

Posted by: severedpuppetstrings ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:10PM

There are some "mainstream" Mormons that practice polygamy. They're just extremely quiet about it...to (as everyone already knows) avoid excommunication.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: June 26, 2018 02:19PM

There are hundreds of mormon splinter groups throughout Utah and adjoining states. That add up to many thousands of polygamists. Many of them do not attend normal wards because they have their own prophets and church rites and services which are very mormon in format and practice. They use the same hymn books, sacrament prayers, and opening and closing prayers. They shake hands like mormons do and fold their arms to show reverence.

Some polygamists attend regular wards and few take notice because of deceptiveness. Most ward members assume that a mother and kiddies are telling the truth about why Dad is away three weeks out of four. He's actually with his other plyg wives and kids.

Or they believe that a maiden aunt is living in the home because the family needs babysitting and she needs a place to live. Yes, she is a plyg wife.

There are many true stories like these and ward members don't have a clue.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/26/2018 02:27PM by Cheryl.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.