Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:43PM

This is a fun list.

1. Nobody calls to check on my Visiting Teaching assignment. Nobody wanted to believe me when I said: "It will never not be done." Nope. Not good enough.

2. Nobody comes to my house and reads the Visiting Teaching Message from the manual and claims they prayed about it and were inspired.(Nipped that in the bud!)

3. Nobody is concerned about my coffee pot, or coffee bean grinder or the Lipton Tea box on the counter.

4. Nobody (almost always men) shakes my hand with one hand and runs his hand across my back to find out if I'm wearing my garments. (The infamous garment-check.)

5. I'm not interrupted at the end of the month by a phone call to schedule a time for the Home Teacher/Visiting Teacher team to make their required visit.

6. I shop on any day of the week, including Sunday, with no concern about a Mormon seeing me.

7. This is biggie. No more interviews by bishops or stake presidencies. I'm always a worthy human being with no list of requirements that must be met. No more chastising, or lying, or fit throwing bishops.

8. No more Tithing Settlements, which also means, not one more cent given to the Mormon Church.

9. No more "callings" ! My time is my own. All of it.

10. No more meetings of any kind. Rarely even see a Mormon church building.

11. No more scripture reading. If I want to read fiction, I'll choose my own authors. And I do!

What's on your list?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: fluhist not logged in ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:55PM

Never wondering how to treat a person who is gay, newly excommunicated, divorced etc etc. As an active LDS I was torn between understanding and needing to set an example. What a croc of nonsense, they are people, just like me.

Never blanching when someone else swears, even swear myself when the occasion is right Heh heh.

Being MYSELF not some saccarine covered Mormom idealogy of what I should be.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:14AM

fluhist not logged in Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
It's nice to be comfortable talking with anyone. No more concerns about being a missionary, either.

The longer I've been out of the church, the more colorful my language has become. Some words just slide off my tongue so smoothly! I say thing I'd never said in my life. I do draw the line at several vulgarities, however. The funny part is that people usually laugh when I use swear words!

OH yes. I'm the authentic me. No more overlay of religious nonsense! It's me, all me, all the time.

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 27, 2018 11:58PM

No more knocking on my d@mn door.

Posted by: elderolddog ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:40AM

I no longer worry about losing my virginity. What a relief!

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:42AM

Everything Susie said, plus scared to death about being asked to give a prayer or talk. I stopped drinking iced tea for 5 years, but finally caved in , but only drank it at home. Imagine drinking a glass of iced tea and feeling guilty like you were drinking a pint of whiskey.

Posted by: Hockeyrat ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:49AM

Oh yeah, about shaking hands, everyone at every ward I attended gave the barely there , limp hand shake, very sincere, not.
I actually gave stronger handshakes than even the men, and had to learn finally to not give a heavy grip.
Everywhere else I went when there were hand shakes , felt sincere

Posted by: exminion ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 12:59AM

No more door-knocking, no more abuse--but we all had to OFFICIALLY RESIGN, in order to stop the Mormon harassment and abuse.

I never answer my door, when I'm not expecting anybody. Everyone I know has i-phones, and they can call me, if they need me to open my door to them.

I don't answer my phone, either, if I don't recognize the caller on the ID. They leave a message, if it's important.

Instead of jumping, and scurrying, and interrupting my work or my projects or my life, I smile, and take a deep breath.

I have EARNED the right to be left alone!

I don't have to fuss about my hair all the time. I could never figure out why longer hair, and curly hair was "frowned upon." It was healthy, clean, well-groomed, worn up or down. I knew several Mormon husbands who would demand that the women in their family keep their hair short! Some things, we will never figure out....

I like wearing whatever I feel like wearing! Short skirts and flip flops in the summer, pants and boots in the winter, brighter colors if I'm in a happy mood, pants to a funeral, instead of a skirt, Exercise clothes, if that's what I'm doing. "Modesty" is looking good, and not having underwear hanging out the bottom of your shorts, or out of your arm holes.

Imagine women not feeling free to wear normal walking shoes or snow boots! Many church ladies slipped and fell on the ice, every winter, while wearing high heeled shoes.

I don't have to worry about conversations. When I hear people whispering and gossiping, I don't need to know who they are talking about--and I don't care if it's me or any of my friends. I don't have to be included in the conversation. I don't care what they are saying, because it doesn't effect anyone who isn't in their little closed world. I'm usually in those social situations strictly for business, anyway.

I don't have to worry about being alone, or appearing "unpopular." I can eat alone in a restaurant, while I'm in another town on business. I would rather go to a movie alone, than drag someone with me, who doesn't want to see it. I walk my dog alone. Cliques and entourages are fun for teen agers, but as adults, we would never get anything accomplished, if we had to coordinate it with a lot of other people. Hence, too many Mormon meetings all the time.

Add meetings to the list.

Add all that money and time wasted. No one has the right to judge how I use my time or money. Like I said, I have earned this!

Posted by: Badassadam1 ( )
Date: June 28, 2018 02:00AM

Here here

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.