Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: anybody ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 10:23AM

Mama Dragons originated as a resource for Mormon mothers in Utah. It now has members from across the country who provide information and support to mothers from more conservative religious or political backgrounds whose children have recently come out.

The name is a more forceful play on “mama bear.”

“We needed to breathe fire. We needed talons,” member Lori Davis said

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/mama-dragons_us_5b3676fde4b0f3c221a09322

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Shinehah ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:43PM

I am acquainted with a couple of these Dragons. When they made the decision that supporting their child was more important than the so called church it's like a whole new world opened to them. I really admire them.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 12:59PM

One of my cousins is one after losing her gay daughter to teen suicide, in Idaho. And the grandmother by extension, who recently served a senior mission in temple square. And the auntie aunts, and extended family got on board as well. Mama dragons, indeed.

Posted by: Unindoctrinated ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 01:28PM

Never heard of Mama Dragons. Love the idea. While we're at it, hats off to all mamas who choose their children over TSCC. TSCC forces mothers to choose, and as a consequence, TSCC loses their best people. Fitting.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 02:05PM

I guess that is better than Palin's mama grizzllies.

Posted by: caffiend ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 03:47PM

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 03:30PM

I was not familiar with the term. I had to look it up.

Mama Dragons
Founded 2014; 4 years ago
Purpose "Mama Dragons exist to inspire and empower mothers. We actively promote healthy, loving, and supportive environments for mothers of LGBTQIA children. ... We are shelter for one another’s children. We are champions of faith, family, and LGBTQIA communities."[1]
Members
1,600[2]
Website mamadragons.org
Mama Dragons is a support organization for Mormon and former-Mormon mothers of LGBTQ children.

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:21PM

Well, if the church had any consistency or leadership at all- they'd all be Exed like instigators Kate Kelly and John Dehlin that promoted ideas that went against church policy. But, Mama Dragons are fairly well respected outside of mormonism. So, I guess they won't face disciplinary actions. Hypocrites.
Mama Dragons just make the top guys a little fearful.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:25PM

Their real power, as I see it, is in curbing the high rate of suicides (gay boys) in Utah.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: June 30, 2018 04:42PM

And gay girls. Being gay is unisex. It was 2014 my cousin's 15 year old gay daughter took her life. Since then she has become a voice for other children, since she lost her own to the senselessness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2018 04:44PM by Amyjo.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.