Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 01:16AM

When I was in the hospital, somebody came around, asking various questions, including "What is your religious preference?"

I replied, without hesitation, "None." This was in the presence of my wonderful TBM DH.

It was a moment of complete clarity for me (one of very few - I was pretty addled most of the time I was there.)

If there is NOTHING after we die, well, it's as some here have called it, "the dirt nap." (Only I plan on cremation, but the essence is the same.) If there is consciousness after we die, the one thing I look forward to the most is seeing my BFF again.

I am not concerned about judgement by God, Jesus, or even (snark) Joseph Smith. I don't believe in Heaven or Hell. Religion apparently never "took" on me, though I gave it a few sincere tries.

BFF was a lifelong agnostic. She was 13 when she first told me that. She had to explain what an agnostic was. I guess that's what I am, too. I don't KNOW, and therefore, I don't worry much about it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: summer ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 01:42AM

I'm not sure how I would respond -- either "none" or perhaps a generic "Christian." I think I could relate to some Christian pastors and not others.

After more than two decades as an urban teacher, I no longer fear judgment. I've done my bit, and those judging me can try walking in my shoes. I hope and expect that there is an afterlife, and I want to see my loved ones again (some of whom have four feet.) But if there isn't, there isn't.

Posted by: Heartless ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 02:04AM

I remember changing my dog tags to no religous preference.

Later in a mobility line the Chaplin (who was LDS) gave me the oddest look. He asked if I was sure. I told him absolutely.

It was a freeing moment.

Posted by: Amyjo ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 05:44AM

If I get asked that nowadays I reply that I'm Jewish. When I die would like to be able to have a simple Jewish service or none at all. My leanings are still Christian, but since no longer worship as one will stick with the Jewish - even though it's still a bit foreign to me. I figure if being Jewish was good enough for Jesus, then it's alright by me.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 03:32PM

I can't remember when the question came up, but it has.

It is really freeing to feel that way for me.

I remember the sister missionaries coming and they asked me something about religion and I told them I had resigned and they said, "Oh that's too bad." And I said, "Not for me it isn't." My son heard me and he got a huge kick out of that. Sometimes I'm quick, but usually I say what I'm "supposed to" say. That was a great moment for me.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 04:00PM

Doesn't matter what you say. Mormonism will get you eventually.

Posted by: Now a Gentile ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 05:02PM

Same thing happened to me when I was checked in at the hospital. I told her that I was an apadeist and just looked at me strange. Can't blame her since I kind just combined beliefs into what I believe and out it came. She said she didn't have that one so I said none. At least she didn't offer one for me to choose.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 06:33PM

You're not alone! I say the same thing when asked about religious preference: "None". I made that clear when I was in the hospital and in the convalescent hospital when they asked me the intake questions.

I've told my family that I want to be cremated and buried in the spot with my husband. I found out they can do that.

I'm a strong believer in some level of our soul/spirit consciousness continuing after we die. I base it on my personal experiences.

My conclusion is that it's ridiculous to believe in any of the gazillion religious belief systems about life after death. Those were developed to scare people into behaving civilly toward one another. And, to hurl it as some kind of threat when the local governments don't punish someone enough to suit the believer. "You'll have to answer to a higher power when you die." "I hope you rot in hell." And, a favorite is the "judgement bar" silliness. We all know a dozen of these threats. I call them empty threats. Might as well yell at the moon.

We live, we die, we do stuff in between. We all get the same thing. The only thing that changes is the deck of cards we are dealt. I've been shuffling those cards and having a great time, doing it!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 06:34PM by SusieQ#1.

Posted by: captainklutz ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 08:04PM

SusieQ#1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've been shuffling those cards and having a great time,
> doing it!

I've decided to call myself Pastafarian, so I'll say "R-amen" to that, Ms.Q#1

Make the most of life...even if it's just a nothing to follow. I plan on cremation and hopefully our daughter will take the opportunity to take me and my dog and spread us at sea together.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: July 02, 2018 08:12PM

captainklutz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> SusieQ#1 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've been shuffling those cards and having a
> great time,
> > doing it!
>
> I've decided to call myself Pastafarian, so I'll
> say "R-amen" to that, Ms.Q#1
>
> Make the most of life...even if it's just a
> nothing to follow. I plan on cremation and
> hopefully our daughter will take the opportunity
> to take me and my dog and spread us at sea
> together.

Ah..yes. I'm a big proponent of making our wishes known to our family. Writing it down is best. Hopefully, they will do as we ask. We planned my husbands "going away party" as I called it, before he got too sick to make his wishes known. The funeral home was amazed at how prepared we were. They don't get people who have it all planned out, apparently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/02/2018 08:22PM by SusieQ#1.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.