Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 05:10PM

I Always See the Rain

When I was thirteen, my family went to the pageant in Palmyra, western New York state. We parked among many cars and buses. The rolling hills and fields were green, and the sky was heavy with dark clouds. I could hear other Mormons all around us in the crowd talking about how it wouldn't rain, because the Lord had never let it rain on the pageant. This hill we gathered beside was the real Hill Cumorah. Great battles had been fought here in Book of Mormon times. The pageant was to celebrate the truth of the BoM. Toward nightfall a steady drizzle began to fall from the dark skies. No one could admit that it was raining, so everyone's hair was uncovered and soaked. Water streamed over their denying faces. No rain, as it just couldn't be.

By this time I was already aware of the sham of Mormonism. All I had to do was look around to see it with my own eyes. I had never seen people get so damp when it wasn't raining, and I found that more amusing than the boring Nephite play on the hill. Happy Mormons squinted through the light rain and watched fake history being re-enacted in a blessed stupor. To them, the precipitation was fake and the shit show was real.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Kathleen ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 06:15PM

They should have called my son whose patriarchal blessing said he could control the weather.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 06:25PM

ha ha ha!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: July 07, 2018 06:25PM

I grew up near Palmyra, and afternoon thunderstorms generated by the heat of the day were quite common. Often it would rain hard late in the afternoon, and then stop as suddenly as it started, which is pretty much par for the course for heat generated thunderstorms. That is probably where this faith promoting rumor came from.

Sometimes the rain didn't stop inn time for the start of the show. Or sometimes it started during the show. Rain of some sort was pretty much an annual event. The Hill Cumorah Pageant helped launch my cynicism about Mormonism's faith-promoting myths.

Posted by: angela ( )
Date: July 09, 2018 10:15AM

I was in that a few years, back in the 80s

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.